superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:08:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some thoughts on Earth-2 Superman.  (Read 9538 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 02:32:28 AM »

Selective continuity?

SeCon...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 02:38:32 AM »

The problem I have is that it's clear that the Earth-2 Superman eventually becomes nearly as strong, if not as strong, as Earth-1 Superman

No he doesn't. He was defeated by Superman of Earth-1 the times they fought, and was defeated by Captain Marvel.

Where is it clear?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Dial H For Hero
Supermen of America

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 03:03:11 AM »

The first time the two Supermen fought (in a JLA/JSA crossover), it was a draw. I recall them collapsing simultaneously. Of course, that issue doesn't really jibe with later depictions; the two looked exactly alike, with no apparent differences in costume or age. It would stand to reason that Kal-l was a little less powerful, but this was not consistently stated, as far as I can tell.
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 03:24:09 AM »

There were certainly some continuity problems with the two Supermen.  Later on they depicted the Earth 2 Superman as looking much older.  Personally I think they should have stuck with the explanation that the Earth 2 Superman has lesser powers.

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 04:34:20 AM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
The problem I have is that it's clear that the Earth-2 Superman eventually becomes nearly as strong, if not as strong, as Earth-1 Superman, far more powerful than the Earth-2 Kryptonians and early Earth-2 Superman.  Why?

Because it's really really cool. Cool

Plus, he's older, wiser, more experienced - it comes with the territory.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 02:45:08 PM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
So why didn't all the superpowered Earth-2 Kryptonians survive the explosion of Krypton?  Is invulnerability hit by the extreme G?

My understanding is both Kryptons had red suns so they both had invulnerability derived from our yellow sun.  Siegel established early on in Action Comics #14 that the GA Krypton's sun was red.  Also, whatever anti-grav capability they evolved to help counteract Krypton's pull was likely 'unloosed' when free of that gravity to provide an anti-grav aura of protection like Lana Lang's 'gravity' belt did for her.

"Negative Crisis on Earths One-Two" was indeed the JLA/JSA story where the two Supermen fought to a standstill.  When they faced Krogg in the 1970s, they still were considered equal. Even when Kal-L was later in the 1980s depicted as somewhat weaker than Kal-El, he still was in the same range (the difference between two men not a man and a gnat).  Kal-L was still capable of super-speed time-travel and notably knocked out Kal-El and dealt the final blow to the Anti-Monitor during the Crisis.

E-2 Superman is arguably much more powerful than the Byrned Superman since he's almost as powerful if not as powerful as the E-1 model.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 04:06:48 PM »

BUT....

You are missing a point there and how the different universes worked back then. Remember crisis on Earth-3! JLA could not defeat the Earth-3 Villains on Earth-3, since they were more powerful there, but when they went to Earth-1, the JLA was able to defeated them since they were more powerful on that Earth.

So the heroes power levels changes depending on which Universe they are in.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2005, 04:14:53 PM »

Another fan wrote in that 'different universes' bit and Schwartz rejected it.

E-2 Superman was obviously flying and staggered the powerful Aquarius on his native Earth-2 in that story.

Also, the theme of Earth-3 was that natives to a universe are kind of fated to win.  The CSA would win on E-3.  The JSA would win on E-2.  The JLA would win on E-1.  Only on E-2 could the JLA and CSA face each other on even terms for a definitive battle.

For example, Starman didn't become 'more powerful' on E-2 when he defeated Ultraman.  He simply was fated to win on his native Earth.  Conversely, Ultraman didn't become less powerful on E-2 or E-1.

That's why Schwartz concocted the different baby ages angle on E-2 vs E-1 Superman.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L