superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe Krypton ChroniclesHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:57:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very seriously for a minute or two -  (Read 10291 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 04:44:14 PM »

Well, Davies isn't a creationist and has actually tried to use QM to explain where the information for life came from.  So far, he's had limited theoretical success at best.  His arguments still stand regardless of where his motivations come from.

Getting back to what I was originally responding to, our society has a kind of religion when it comes to science itself.  So, yes, geeks and nerds are denigrated, but nowhere near as much as before since it's becoming fashionable to be smart in the information age.  And how often will people and even responsible journalists take scientists at their word about things without exerting any critical thinking?

Krypton worshipping science may be an extreme, but it's not too far off from where we are now.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 06:27:54 PM »

The only time I remember it being explicitly stated that Kryptonians worshipped science was Adv. of S 500, a post-Crisis book. Pre-Crisis, worship of Rao would seem to negate that.

As for the importance that we attach to science, as a society, I think it is diminishing. Fundamentalists never accepted modernism at all (and still don't) while modernism, of which scientific discovery was the crux, is giving way to postmodernism and relativism. Relativism and fundamentalism both lie outside of scientific thought, and have more influence at this point.

Like someone said earlier, I can't think of any scientists in our government. I can, however, think of fundamentalists and relativists who are in charge of policymaking. Science is something that people only care about when it can provide modern conveniences, or entertainment.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L