superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:42:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FINALLY... you shall all kneel before Zod!!!  (Read 4068 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: October 28, 2005, 11:20:38 PM »

SUPERMAN II

According to the Superman Homepage, director Richard Donner (who was removed from the film after having already directed most scenes) has now been hired to work on a Special Edition DVD of 'Superman II.'"

WOOHOO!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 02:30:01 AM »

That's absolutely fantastic!  A lot of people have been demanding this for a long time, it's great that WB was listening.

Any news on a possible release date?  I wonder if the plan is for it to be a Superman Returns marketing tie-in - where they both kind of re-inforce each other.  A SUPER 1-2 punch, so to speak.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 06:54:35 AM »

Huzzah!

Dick Donner's best movie, though, has to have been the absolutely wonderful THE GOONIES, but by the sound of things, an ambitious SUPERMAN II might have rivaled this career monument.

There was one scene in the SUPERMAN DVD that immediately aroused my curiosity about the plot that Donner was going for, which was that Lois outsmarted Clark into revealing his secret identity.

She pulls a gun, shoots him, and watches Clark Kent collapse to the ground. Clark dusts himself off, and stands up.
    SUPERMAN: "You know, if you had been wrong...Clark Kent would have been killed."

LOIS: "Oh? With blanks?" [/list]

This idea was so amazing, so true to Lois's cleverness, that it immediately made the means by which the revalation in SUPERMAN II was achieved pale. I mean, this secret disguse he's cultivated for years and years...undone because he's a klutz? First off, Superman doesn't trip. He's Superman. Second...how lame to be undone that way.

One wonders what Donner would have done in the rest of the film - the dissatisfying points in SUPERMAN II had been ironed out, and the amazing parts - the 15 minute battle, Zod turning Mt. Rushmore to match his face, that Cheers guy as a lonely Houston watchtower guy...had remained.

Guess we'll finally get a chance to find out!

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
           - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
    Uncle Mxy
    Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 02:08:11 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
    Dick Donner's best movie, though, has to have been the absolutely wonderful THE GOONIES, but by the sound of things, an ambitious SUPERMAN II might have rivaled this career monument.

C'mon -- SUPERMAN is his best movie!  I was a sucker for LADYHAWKE, too.  And he's done some seminal TV work.  The Twilight Zone episode where Shatner is hauled off a plane in a straightjacket at the end is just awesome.
    JulianPerez
    Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 06:46:53 PM »

C'mon -- SUPERMAN is his best movie! I was a sucker for LADYHAWKE, too. And he's done some seminal TV work. The Twilight Zone episode where Shatner is hauled off a plane in a straightjacket at the end is just awesome.

LADYHAWKE looked wonderful, that's for sure.

...that is, until the 80s synth music came on! It Set an absolute nadir for totally inappropriate soundtracks, only to be exceeded a decade later by KULL THE CONQUEROR's heavy metal tunes. What, they couldn't get the rights to Europe's "The Final Countdown?"

Don't get me wrong, I can't get enough of that picture, but man...I burst out laughing every time I hear that Alan Parsons-style instrumental.

Though I'm sure LADYHAWKE's greatest distinction has to have been made recently, when it was voted "Greatest Movie Ever" by Napoleon Dynamite.  Cheesy

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
           - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
    Pages: [1]   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L