superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:32:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Superman's GREATEST FEATS!"  (Read 13033 times)
VanZee
Supermen of America

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 07:30:28 PM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
having the results being learned by the reader (kids) and Superman AT THE SAME TIME...a joint resolution of the mystery...a way of bonding reader and character, especially readers of a young age.

Yeahr... agreed.  And believe me, I love these early stories, too, for their innocent goofiness.  Still, it would've been interesting to explore why Superman can't alter the past, ie, he is not God, or that by saving Atlantis he would keep Lori from ever existing and could not personally bear that, etc.  But I do love these goofy stories.

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
I truly dig Al Plastino myself...

Ditto.  He draws Superman very SOLID, like he could stop a bullet.
VanZee
Supermen of America

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 07:57:38 PM »

***SPOILERS***

Thinking more about this crazy universe Superman has created...  let's see, advanced 8m year old civilization of Atlantis saved from ruin, yet Rome still dominates as a repressive society?  And all Superman could figure to do there is save ten oppressed people from a Lion's Club luncheon?  An entire PLANET of supermen deposited on Earth?  Like, doubling the population but now a segregated society of indestructable beings vs human chattel....

Hey, I love this story.  But something tells me Superman didn't do you-n-me any big favors.... ;-)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 08:05:17 PM »

It is interesting, but Supes does explain that he previously had no success altering the past, but his new attempt introduces alternate universes (dimensions?) that are as fated to have intervention as part of their reality, and are solved in a mystery fashion...something new for kids to chew on, almost quantum in its view...its oversimplified, but the answers to these questions in total almost defy human thinking anyways...I just always liked that way of story telling... Cool
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 08:07:28 PM »

Yeah, the alternative permutations are improbable, but I see that in a lot of more "sophisticated" science fiction too...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 12:11:20 AM »

I really liked the fact that the Native Americans just knew that Superman was "The Eagle God."  That's like something Alan Moore would come up with.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 03:45:18 AM »

or the writers on smallville~ :lol:
Kal-L
Supermen of America

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2005, 03:57:48 PM »

Flash No. 123, 1960: "The Flash of Two Worlds"

Bravo Super Monkey, you know your classics! too bad you replied before I did, I have missed an occasion to show my culture...

Up, up, up and away!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L