superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:26:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman's power to project mini-Superman from his hand.  (Read 11125 times)
Jor-L
Superman Fan

« on: October 30, 2005, 09:06:50 PM »

I feel very much like I'm asking a newbie-like question, but I've tried performing cursory searches of these forums and I just can't find the information I'm looking for.

In interviews about his upcoming All-Star Superman work, Grant Morrison has expressed his love of a story in which Superman developed the power to project a miniature Superman from his hand. According to Morrison, the miniature Superman eventually makes the real Superman feel inadequate.

Does anyone know where this story was printed? Has it ever been reprinted in a collection I actually afford to buy?

Thanks for you help.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 09:42:08 PM »

The story is called "Superman's Mystery Power!"

I don't know the issue number or whether it's been reprinted - maybe someone else here can help out with that.

There's also been an audio dramatization of the story on CD:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005QDI7/theamalgamatronA/

I've got this around somewhere in MP3 format.  Now you've got me looking for it...

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 09:44:11 PM »

Superman No. 125, Nov 1958 "Superman's New Power!"

It was included in the  Superman: Man of Tommorrow Archives Vol. 1

I belive it was also included in the cheap Showcase Superman collection.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 12:30:47 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
I belive it was also included in the cheap Showcase Superman collection.

Yup, on page 169.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 12:36:32 AM »

Yes, but be informed - that reprint is black & white.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 01:37:19 AM »

More madness of the old days.  Smiley

Plus a little man coming out of his hand? Methinks the writers were smoking some metaphor metamphetamines. Tongue

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 05:39:07 AM »

Quote from: "RedSunOfKrypton"
More madness of the old days.  Smiley

Plus a little man coming out of his hand? Methinks the writers were smoking some metaphor metamphetamines. Tongue

Playing "Guess the Hallucinogenic" is one of the more interesting games to play with oddity and gimmick centered stories. This explains the end of the Silver Age - The Man finally raided the DC stash!

I'm jazzed by the fact Grant Morrison is bringing up that old story with the imp Superman, because it shows his heart is in the right place - although he may have left his talent in the other pants. Grant talks a good game about being weird and strange a guy, but he uses the most cookie-cutter plots ever; few of his plots aren't recycled from various saturday morning cartoons. Sometimes that works for him, he can turn his derivativeness into a strength (e.g. with his absolutely wonderful, cheesy, fantastic first four issues on JLA, which were so evocative of all sorts of b-movies and pop culture cheesiness) but sometimes it doesn't. Remember those issues of JLA he wrote where Darkseid takes over the earth and they have to face an alternate future where this evil guy rules, complete with old versions of themselves? I mean, dang, wasn't this an episode of SWAT CATS?

Off the top of my head, I can remember episodes of CAPTAIN PLANET AND THE PLANETEERS and GI JOE that had this identical story concept - and at least the CAPTAIN PLANET episode had creepy scenes involving "the last dolphin in the world."

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 10:34:43 AM »

The writers at DC must have had too little sleep or too much caffenie.

The min-Superman, Egg-fu,  Dr. Yes, Super-Gorillia,  Ten-Eyed Man, The Listener, B'wana Beast, and so on.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L