superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:14:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is Smallville and Where is Metropolis on the Map?  (Read 33197 times)
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: October 30, 2005, 11:41:56 PM »

Help me out please.  I know the WB tv series "Smallville" is a separate fictional universe from the one of the current (2005) "Superman" comic books.  So I know there are discontinuities between the two.
But help me out. In the comics books, in Silver Age period comics, in Pre Crisis era, in the Post Crisis, and  in the post zero hour Superman stories, what state is the town of Smallville in and what state is the City of Metropolis in?(in the comic books). Where in the state, appoximately?

I have heard that Smallville is in Kansas near Wichita or maybe Topeka and that Metropolis is in Delaware near Cape Henlopen Park, Delaware. Near there are two fictional rivers (The Hob's River and the West River ) between and near which are the 6 boroughs of Metropolis.

By the way, in the DCU there are mountains nearby in Delaware (the Kirby Mountains).

I also have heard that in the tv show "Smallville", Metropolis is about 100 miles away form Smallville, Kansas.

What's the general consensus or majority opinion?

Remember : wherever you go , there you are.
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 12:02:56 AM »

Also, let's ignore the real world town of Metropolis , Illinois for the purpose of this discussion.  But it really is a cool place to visit.

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 12:33:37 AM »

Originally, neither Smallville nor Metropolis were ever located in real-world states.  They were just a generic Small Town USA and Big City USA.

I believe that it was one of the script drafts for "Superman- The Movie" that placed Smallville in Kansas.  However, I don't believe that "Kansas" was ever actually mentioned in the final movie itself.  I think the public was first exposed to the "Kansas" location in Maggin's novel "Last Son of Krypton" (perhaps he got it from reading an early movie draft) but was then pretty much ignored until Byrne's reboot, when Smallville became firmly and perpetually lodged in Kansas.

The site of Metropolis seems to move depending on the writer and/or editor.  In Siegel's mind, it was a thinly veiled Cleveland.  In the movie, it was New York.  I think that at some point in the DCU, it was located in New Jersey (or maybe that was Gotham).  It's probably been located on the west coast, the east coast, and everywhere in-between.

My old brain gets foggy these days, please correct me where I've slipped up.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 11:24:10 PM »

In Justice League of America #153, Metropolis & Gotham City were placed in New York state.  Near New York City actually.   I would love to see the maps for the  state of New York on Earths 1, 2, & 3.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 03:03:54 AM »

Re: Smallville:

Smallville originally had no state, but was mostly assumed to be within driving distance of Metropolis. It was finally officially labelled as being in Kansas in John Byrne's post-Crisis Superman reboot.

Re: Metropolis:

Metropolis has been located on various locales, but mostly has been assumed to be a city somewhere on the east coast of the U.S., but has no official state, though the most popular places I've seen seem to be NY, Delaware, New Jersey, or Rhode Island. New York City and Gotham City all coexist with Metropolis, with the distance between Gotham and Metropolis varying in the comics (the pre-Crisis comics in the 70's and 80's apparently treated the two as twin cities a la Washington DC./Baltimore).

Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 03:10:51 AM »

i've been re reading my sources and texts on Metropolis and all things kryptonian, etc.  I marvel. HUNDREDS of times in LOIS and CLARK, The comics, SMALLVILLE, RPGs, and in books like the Atlas to The DCU and the Metropolis Sourcebook and other writings it states Smallville is located in the state of Kansas.  Though not in our earth-prime where it doesn't exist.  At one point it existed in a pocket dimension made by the Time-Trapper, but it was still "kansas".  I think the tie in with Kingdom Come and the Gog storylines necessitate it to be in Kansas. At some time in one alternate future Lex as President will give the order which will result in a thermonuclear cataclysm in Kansas.
That's why "Smallville" the tv series had that episode where the Psychic foresaw Lex walking in the post-nuked Kansas.

As far as can this change. Sure . the next story written may relocate Smallville in Southern California next to Sunnydale and team BUffy up with the young Clark!
As far a Metropolis goes. its on the east coast and existed as a pre colonial town and was a participant in the revolutionary war and all. Miss America and others interacted with the colonists and the red coats.
So that was in the 1600's and 1700's . Pretty much rules out anything later acquired by the Louisiana Purchase.
It snows in Metropolis so its north of Georgia and South Carolina. It's associated with the Dutch settlements in the north eastern US too.
In fact the old name of Metropolis was New Troy.

Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 03:17:42 AM »

Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 03:23:02 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L