superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:21:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is Smallville and Where is Metropolis on the Map?  (Read 33155 times)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2005, 02:49:53 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"

Think I like the Wisconsin location better (re: "Power of Shazam!"'s references about Fawcett's location, which fit there more than the Hoosier state)... wonder what yahoo thought up Indiana (especially northwestern Indiana, which is already part of the Chicago area anyway...) as Fawcett's new location anyway . ;-p

I said Wisconsin as a joke, considering what they are famous for and what Captain Marvel's nickname is.

:wink:

It's funny that it fits, LOL!

In the "Power of Shazam!" series, it was strongly implied that Fawcett City is/was in Wisconsin... various references to Native American reservations, etc. that wouldn't exist in my native Hoosier State.

Thus, my remark above. Besides, not sure I'd want my mother threatened by killer robots and Monster Societies of Evil while she's trying to buy groceries. ;-p

Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2005, 01:46:26 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
The site of Metropolis seems to move depending on the writer and/or editor. In Siegel's mind, it was a thinly veiled Cleveland.

In Siegel's "The Mysterious Mr. Mxyztplk!" (read it online), Metropolis appears to be near a large lake. I think Lake Erie qualifies as a large lake. This doesn't appear to fit in with NYC's geography (river and ocean, yes; lake, no).

The Metropolis = New York question has been discussed a couple of times in the forum here and here.
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2005, 02:18:39 AM »

yeah this in NOT a new topic.
NOr is it new to the net.
many, many forums have discussed it.

I know since i read many of them.  
It seems that some writers don't even know how to spell continuity while others are so an*l retentive about continuity so as to detract from the enjoyment of the reader.

Once upon the time there was no continuity in comics.
Hence Superman was the Guardian of Cleaveland (or was that Cincinatti?)Ohio in an early story, but later was clearly moved elsewhere.

I think you'll find in John Byrne's stories he follows a continuity of his own that is consistent with other stories he has written, but not necessarily with every other Superman or superboy story in history of dc. Many writers are consistent with their own stories and or the most recent stories since many fans have short memories.

In the 60's and 70's and somewhat the 80's, continuity  was like situation ethics. The end justified the means.  When it was good for the story to call Metropolis a city in New York state they did. Never mind if in last month's issue it was in Kansas or the Illinois. When it suited the writer there was no New york city in the DCUniverse but in its exact geographical place was Metropolis, New York. (Including nearly identical streets, subways, landmarks, WTC's, statue of liberty, etc.) In such stories it looked exactly like NYC which is real but some names were different like Central park might be called Centenial Park, Manhattan was called New Troy, Brooklynn was called Bakerline, Queens was called Queenland Park,  the bronx was  called Hell's Gate, Staten Island was called St. Martens Island, the east river is called the west river and the hudson river is called Hob's River.

Of course in a story in a comic, a tv show or a movie  you can allow an occaisional continuity error or artistic liscense and the story is still enjoyable, but in role playing games the players are very demanding of the GM, so when DC heroes the RPG came out they published the unofficial Atlas to the DCUniverse giving specific locations to each city in a specific state.  These didn't always synch with the comics exactly.

Where is smallville? In Smallville, USA.  More recently the consensus is somewhere in Kansas at least in the "Encyclopedia to the DC Universe" from DK on sale at Barnes and Noble bookstore.

Where is Metropolis? in the tvseries Smallville, it is within a couple hundred miles or less, near some huge mountains in Kansas (clearly an alternate or pocket universe...Mountains?).
In the comics: depending on the recent story (in the last 5 years) you are reading it is still up in the air and kept purposely vague by DC. When it suits the writers its on the eastern seaboard. Metropolis history suggests it was in the New England States area and was part of the 13 original colonies in the 1700's. It's near water. Its been nearly hit by tidal waves, ect. It has a vital shipping port. Its within driving distance of Gotham City, and New York City.  In  some stories its very far from Smallville and in some stories its nearby.
I'd say that Smallville is now irrevocably stuck in Kansas from now on.
Metropolis could change. From now on I'd say its in the state of New York somewhere,  or nearby and near water.

If this all sounds like nonsense don't blame me , this morning I was hit in the head by a meteor of Silver Kryptonite and I'm feeling confused! :wink:

Remember : wherever you go , there you are.
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2005, 02:36:34 AM »

In some superman or batman stories it seems there is very little continuity from one title to another.  For instance, where is the Justice League when Superman is facing the latest cosmic invader from another planet?  On a yet another mission in space or another dimension, conveniently.
Your supposed to have a certain suspension of disbelief for these stories to be enjoyed.  So don't take references to DC geography too literal.
Like some magical movable Shangrila like city it could be moved again.

Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2005, 05:59:28 PM »

My sister was watching my Max Fleischer cartoons yesterday, and caught this:

In the cartoon called "The Electric Earthquake" we learn that Indians are bad people, but really good at science. Being of Native American descent yet good at science, I joked my sister about the fact that all Indians also travel up and down in a tube...what, she didn't have one?

Anyway, she caught this: The Indian blew up lots of building surrounding the Daily Planet, before Superman stopped the machine. At the end of the cartoon, the Daily Planet headline was "Superman saves Manhattan from an Indian." Ok, it actually says "Superman saves Manhattan" and then something else.

The Daily Planet was on Manhattan Island. So references of Metropolis-as-New-York were not only in the comics, and possibly were introduced outside of the comics and worked their way in.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2005, 11:24:14 PM »

I think Psybertrack's post of Sat 12-Nov-2005 9:18 pm explained the situation best.

While I think the evidence leans towards Metropolis being an analogue of NYC and being in NY state, I can accept that this has been treated inconsistently and it depends on the creative teams over the decades.

I'm not sure DC has an official position on this, though I do know it was shown being in NY state as of the recent The OMAC Project #1.  Until DC changes it yet again, I'd go with that recent portrayal esp. as it's tied to DC's big events series like Identity Crisis.

Say what you like about Didio, he is giving the DCU a consistent, long-range plan and world-building.  It may be dark and gory but that consistency and planning is clearly evident across the titles and even their release dates.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2005, 05:34:23 AM »

I love the Max F. cartoons, but I missed that one. sounds great!
you are funnyha ha ha too.  
I like the bulleteers one and the magneto ray.  I think of these as the earth one superman, but if theyre in Manhattan i'd guess its a pocke t universe.

I used to have a pocket universe in my pocket but now all I've got a hole in my pocket.

Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2005, 05:42:14 AM »

My sister was watching my Max Fleischer cartoons yesterday, and caught this:

I like the moodiness of the Ma x F toons.
Also the sarcasm and wit of CK.

I noticed Smallville is said in Superboy#1(the series of comics based on the Superboy syndicated tv series)in 1989 said Smallville is in kansas.
 The "Superboy tv series" ran in syndication in 1988-1992.  "Superboy: The Comic Book" (based on a tv series) #1 (Feb 1990 [ 1989] ) places Smallville in the heart of Neosho County, Kansas which is a real county at the coordinates: Latitude: 37.51472 : Longitude: -95.23. As Superboy /Clark rides away on a bus from Smallville to Florida where he is going to college at Shuster University in Siegleville , Florida, he passes a sign that reads "You are now leaving Smallville, the heart and soul of Neosho County" (which is in Kansas). Its kind of south east Kansas near the border.
I HAVE SINCE LEARNED THAT SMALLVILLE MAY BE IN "LOWELL COUNTY, KANSAS" AND NOT NEOSHO AS PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT. DEFINITLEY LOWELL COUNTY IN THE BYRNE COMIC BOOK SUPERMAN AND IN THE TV SERIES WITH CLARK KENT AS A TEEN "SMALLVILLE".

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L