superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:46:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: returning superman to the silver age.  (Read 5227 times)
Anonymous
« on: November 05, 2005, 02:39:56 AM »

Dan DiDio, if you're reading this, here is my submission for your next big company-wide event:

Crisis Never Happened

In the first issue, the Psycho Pirate is dreaming about the Anti-Monitor. He wakes up and says "But it all seemed so real!"

Next, we see Barry Allen, the Kara Zor-El Supergirl (complete with headband), the original Dove and Kole from the New Titans fighting the pre-Crisis Brainiac.

Pariah and Waverider teleport onto the scene. Pariah starts babbling about how "the experiment worked" and everything has returned to how things were supposed to be.

Clark Kent is interviewing the New Titans for a special segment on the WGBS eleven o'clock news. Everyone looks like they did in 1985, except for Jericho who now has straight, white hair like his father Deathstroke the Terminator.

Members of the JLA watch the broadcast from the satellite headquarters stationed 22,300 miles above the Earth. Aquaman looks like he did before Peter David maimed him and Hawkman is specifically referred to as "Katar."

The Outsiders, circa 1985, are fighting the Duke of Oil in California.

Meanwhile, on Earth-2, Stripesy's stepdaughter is trying to prove herself to the members of Infinity, Inc. and convince them that they should let her join as the new Star-Spangled Kid. During her first mission, she is shot in the head by Per Degaton.

In Hub City, we see new superheroes on the scene: The Question, Captain Atom, Nightshade, Peacemaker and the Blue Beetle. They say something about being accidentally transported from their world to Earth-1. They are all wearing older costumes. They are greeted by Rip Hunter and his crew just as an army of talking purple gorillas invades the downtown area.

Over the course of the series, we discover that about 98 percent of pre-Crisis continuity has been restored. It's like the late Eighties and the Nineties never happened.

The day is saved by Swamp Thing, Arion and the mysterious sorcerer John Constantine, who is indeed just as powerful as he originally led people to believe he was.

The mini-series would only be seven issues, but it would only make sense if you read all 48 crossover issues.
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 05:55:20 AM »

What about Earth-Prime?  Imagine that our earth really is Earth-Prime.  Back in 1985 i had a dream where i looked out my window & saw the approaching "anti-matter wall". :roll:   Now that is a comics geek, even my dreams were goofy. :roll::shock::oops::wink:  According to the comics (Justice League of America #153, at least)  the inhabitants of Earth-Prime had the ability to control/manipulate reality in other universes.  Mentally certain DC writers like Elliot S. Maggin, Cary Bates, Jerry Siegel, & some others were also "present" at the "dawn of time".  Elliot & Cary (& maybe Julie Schwartz) still remember the multiverse as being real.  As well as their meetings with certain real DC characters, & their adventures on other earths.  So if the Crisis were undone what happens to Earth-Prime? :twisted:   My goofiest what if? yet.  Of course i know that comics are fiction, it's just adds to the fun to think of that stuff as being real "somwhere".  Sometimes anyway.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 04:44:34 PM »

Well technically that would be returning Superman to the Bronze Age. Why do people assume the Silver Age didn't end until 1986?

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 07:37:48 AM »

The reason for that is because, even though the tones of the stories changed somewhat, we were on the SAME Earth as before.  

They didn't CHANGE anything from Superman's past, but they simply ignored Beppo, Brainiac's pet monkey Koko, and the different types of Kryptonite (for the most part).  Of course, Green K was still around, as were Gold and Red K, but White K and the rest were again ignored.  

The silliest plot elements were merely ignored.  After all, how many times in the 1970's and '80's did Jimmy Olson dress in drag, or Lois Lane plot to uncover Superman's secret identity and nab him in marriage?  

Wink

lonewolf23k
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 12:13:27 PM »

Quote from: "sikkbones"
Meanwhile, on Earth-2, Stripesy's stepdaughter is trying to prove herself to the members of Infinity, Inc. and convince them that they should let her join as the new Star-Spangled Kid. During her first mission, she is shot in the head by Per Degaton.

Ok, I feel that this is uncalled for...    Poor kid doesn't deserve that.

...And undoing the last two decades' worth of comics, I think is overkill.  There's been more then a few good stories written in that time..
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 02:05:04 PM »

That IS too much, IMO.  Stars & Stripes was a pretty good book when it came out, overall.  

If anything like that DID happen, I'd want Dick Grayson of Earth-II to wake up in a sweat thinking,  "Great Scott!  What a TERRIBLE nightmare!"

(There is NO sarcasm in the above statement.)

dto
Action Ace

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 05:39:09 PM »

Even if this is an intentional parody of Blue Beetle investigating Checkmate (after getting the cold shoulder from the JLA) and getting shot by Max Lord in "Countdown to Infinity Crisis", I just can't see any humor in killing Courtney Whitmore.  I like Stargirl, and I only wish the current Supergirl was more mature like her.  Sure, Star has her prerequisite moments of teen angst, but that doesn't overwhelm her character.  Also, Geoff Johns based Courtney on his own sister, who died in the TWA Flight 800 crash in 1996.  Courtney Johns was 18.

While Stargirl is naturally Geoff's personal favorite, she's no "Mary Sue" in the JSA.  And even if no character should be immune from the threat of death, "bumping off" Courtney in such callous fashion just strikes me as poor taste regardless of the original satiric intent.

DTO
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 01:49:57 AM »

Quote from: "Gernot"
That IS too much, IMO.  Stars & Stripes was a pretty good book when it came out, overall.  

If anything like that DID happen, I'd want Dick Grayson of Earth-II to wake up in a sweat thinking,  "Great Scott!  What a TERRIBLE nightmare!"

(There is NO sarcasm in the above statement.)

KAL-L: So you tell me that you had a dream where after 45 years of fighting various supervillains and outlandish threats, you met your end when a *wall* fell on top of you?

DICK: Uh... pretty much, yes. Though I think there was something about the skies being perpetually red, lots of heroes standing around angsting about our inevitable doom, and an overpowered villain named the "Anti-Monitor"...

KAL-L: "Anti-Monitor"? Sounds like some sort of spy equipment piece.

DICK: Yeah, whatever...  (walks off) Wall... (shudders)

:-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L