superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:54:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: king krypton?  (Read 5226 times)
Anonymous
« on: November 05, 2005, 03:40:22 AM »

can someone explain who this second rate gorrilla grodd with a costume is?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 03:47:12 AM »

read his entry http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/King_Krypton

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 04:01:52 AM »

thanks.
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 07:24:42 AM »

SECOND-RATE???  

That was a GORILLA in a Superman uniform!  

Heh.  I wonder how many copies DC sold of THAT issue on its day of release?  Wink

JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 07:47:02 AM »

Whoa, Deja Vu.

We were just talking about King Krypton on the thread with Kurt Busiek.

King Krypton was a gorilla from the planet Krypton that had the brain of a scientist. He was sympathetic and kind of tragic, because he wasn't responsible for his actions; he died at the end of his first story. WOW.

Is there ANYTHING that can move funnybooks quicker than a gorilla on the cover? I DON'T THINK SO!

After the Weisenger years, nobody to my knowledge ever saw fit to mention or bring King Krypton back again, but I say it's high time for it (hint, hint, DC!  Cheesy )

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 06:33:00 PM »

The fact that they were acknowledging the difference in proportionate powers in that March 1958 book means the idea of 'equal' kryptonian powers was nixed either in that book or earlier.

I recall stories esp. with Supergirl or Bizarro Supergirl where Superman was supposed to be as strong as his teenaged female cousin.  Krypto's heat vision is supposed to equal Superman's.

I like the relative proportion angle and I think King Krypton's story is notable if only because of that acknowledgement.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 03:27:57 AM »

For some reason comics with Gorillas on them always sold a lot of copies during the 60's.  That's why so many DC comics featured them.

King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 07:37:16 PM »

I would just like to take this opportunity to say that I did not take my MB handle from this character. I came up with it on my own back in 1999 originally as an eBay ID, with no knowledge of this character's existence until years later. I just thought it sounded catchy.

Finding out there was a King Kong-style gorilla with the same name came as a nasty shock to me.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L