superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSupermanicaHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:41:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark Waid and the Flash  (Read 16448 times)
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2005, 10:14:23 PM »

I LOVE this run.
I started readin' the Flash with the Italian edition of issue #80 (i.e. the Italian FLASH #1), and so I started to appreciate a character I didn't know, Wally West. The supporting cast, the Flash Family, the Speed Force... A lot of great elements. Thank you, Mr. Waid, you made me a Flash fan.

Favorite story: THE FLASH #0, tie in to "Zero hour". Waid loves the character, and this story is a good example. Very touching.

Favorite moment(s): Flash stops Kobra, who is about to kill Linda, in issue #100. In the same book, there is the best declaration of love ever in a comic book. "Why didn't you stay in Heaven?"; "Why you weren't there".

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
celacanto
Superman's Pal

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 02:32:56 AM »

Waid's run on the Flash was the only bright spot in DC's output at that time and is the only book that I found really exciting, that made me look forward to the next issue.

Well after reading four pages of argumentations. There are to many thing to coment i will stand just in the simple.

I love that series. that and Robinson Starman. were my favourite books in those darks days of the 90īs.

i thing hat the evolution of the character was great, few characters are lucky enough to have one developement so clear. Wally made forget Barry for most fans who were asking for his return when Waid taked the series.

His work was different from the messner Loeb histories?? yes. and Geoof john Flash its different to and i like it also.

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2006, 05:10:20 AM »

I agree, this topic needs more discussion...the Speed Force leaves room for variability and adds that continuity that some people seem to be always craving...and I can't see how it can't easily accomodate the origins of almost any original speedster...
alschroeder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2006, 07:27:07 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
Quote from: "JulianPerez"
My question is, is there anybody that read BOTH the Baron and Messner-Loebs FLASH, *AND* Waid's FLASH, and prefers the Waid FLASH?

Yup.

I've already explained earlier in this thread why I enjoyed Waid's work on the Flash so much.  I thought Mike Baron's issues were clever, I read them and enjoyed them.  I gave Messner-Loebs a shot but for some reason I just never liked them that much and dropped the book.

I still say that Waid brought back a sense of wonder and excitement that had been completely lacking in the DCU since Crisis.  I just liked it all - the time travel, the legacy, etc.  Fun stuff and he pulled it off well.

S!

I'm with him.

This is NOT to dispute many of the Messner-Loebs/Baron stories were clever and interesting. Like that one where he saved the girl falling from the airplane....

And of course it's true that Baron/Messner-Loeb's Flash was scientifically more plausible, with the great deal of eating more and the loss of footware and all that, and limiting his speed to something like Mach Two.

Still...to REALLY fuel himself for such speeds, Wally would have to spend every waking minute eating. Even a few hundred hamburgers, eaten at super-speed, wouldn't last long, not at those speeds....

Besides, there was an elephant in the room--the memory of Barry Allen.  Who was an integral part of DC History...and had casually run at near-light speeds, vibrated through solid matter, travelled through time, etc. Of COURSE running at such speeds and with such abilities is ridiculous. But Wally, by definition, can't forget Barry.  Many of  his villains are grounded in Barry's era.

I was very enthusized by "The Return of Barry Allen" storyline. I thought it was a clever explanation of why Wally couldn't initially run as fast as Barry, and an ingenious way of restoring him (more or less) to full speed...but even so, the part of me that really KNOWS physics knew there HAD to be more to the story.

The "Speed Force" was just vague enough to be workable. There's no way Wally, Barry, or Jay could get enough energy from food to be that fast---there HAD to be some extra force.

As for characterization---if anything, the Baron/Messner-Loebs Wally seemed a deliberate BREAK from the previous portrayals of Wally, who was portrayed in Teen Titans as sort of a Middle-Class small town yokel, in love with "ordinary" life. Baron and MEssner-Loeb's harkened back to an even EARLIER version, Bob Haney's showoff in Tenn Titans, and made him more of a "player", sleeping around, a tendency he hadn't shown before.

Of course, a LOT of us change as we become adults, but it was Baron/Messner-Loeb's Wally that I had trouble reconciling with the Wally I had known before.  I thought Waid's introduction of Linda Park as Wally's constant lover was a good touch, and I thought his chracterization of Wally was a good amalgamation of ALL that had gone before.

---Al

Al Schroeder III, former letterhack (met his wife through Julie Schwartz' lettercolumns) of MINDMISTRESS http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com---think the superhero genre is mined out? Think there are no new superhero ideas?

Think again.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L