superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:22:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tyroc: A bad racist joke?  (Read 10635 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 03:01:44 PM »

Well, the Atomic Knights stories did take place in their own reality.  It's just that in the mainstream DCU timeline that reality was only perceived in Grayle's mental simulations.

The joy of Hypertime means in some Hypertimeline the AK stories took place in 'reality' -- such as it is.

In another sense, the Knights predated the rampant shared universe concept so no reason exists to make it mandatory they exist alongside Superman in the 'real' DCU.  I could live with them in a separate continuity like Atari Force or Camelot 3000.

I kind of miss the tales where every super-hero and/or book existed in their own fictional universe.  When the Earth needed saving in the Flash's book, the most that had to be accounted for were the whereabouts of Green Lantern, Kid Flash, and the Elongated Man.  Hawkman and Hawkgirl didn't have to account for any other super-heroes not saving the day.  And so on.

The shared universe concept is great in its own way but it does have its drawbacks.  The Atomic Knights were written not as part of the shared universe concept but as an independent concept.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 03:59:25 PM »

It should be noted that Hypertime was reconned long ago.

So Hypertime doesn't exist in the DC Universe anymore.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 04:08:47 PM »

Exactly what makes you believe it was retconned?

Certainly, Kon-El's Hypertension storyline is still in continuity.

The Elseworlds World's Funnest clearly uses the Hypertimelines in its own story and by implication all the Elseworlds exist in their own Hypertimelines (esp. given Hypertension above).

So is The Kingdom where Infinite Crisis picks up from with E-2 Superman finally breaking through to the current mainstream DCU.

If you mean it's been largely ignored, that's not a retcon.

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 04:16:35 PM »

That was the last time it was used, DC decided due to the negative feedback from Iron Age, that they would never use it again.

Speaking if Racist images, did you know that Johnny Redbeard was everything that has been posted here and a racist too? I bet none of you are shocked to hear that one. Since he has said pently of racist things before on his site.

See the original art work for X-Men 116, note the racist joke that was made by John for Austin, for print it was covered by a barcode.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=113192&GSub=16862

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 04:22:25 PM »

Well, they said they'd keep Hal and Kara dead and they recanted.  They said they'd never bring back the GLC and they brought them back too.

I'd wait and see what Johns does with IC which clearly is tied to The Kingdom if only for that breaking through carryover.

They didn't retcon those stories.  They're still in continuity.  Hey, that JLA Annual with Moon Maiden also referenced Hypertime so that's also another example.

That's a lot of stories for an idea that someone claims DC isn't going to use anymore.

And the fact that they're acknowledging a multiverse of some kind again is just a different flavour of the same deal.  If the multiverse is being acknowledged again, then the Atomic Knights, etc. still exist in their own DC realities.

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 04:26:02 PM »

It is certainly within the realm of possibility.

- Elliot S! Maggin
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 05:05:44 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Speaking if Racist images, did you know that Johnny Redbeard was everything that has been posted here and a racist too? I bet none of you are shocked to hear that one. Since he has said pently of racist things before on his site.

See the original art work for X-Men 116, note the racist joke that was made by John for Austin, for print it was covered by a barcode.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=113192&GSub=16862

I did suspect that given how he seemed to shove John Stewart out of the picture in his AC Superman/GLC team-up.

OTOH, wasn't he part of that gawdawful 'Storm'n'Kitty' fest the X-Men had back in the 1980s?  Boosting Storm isn't very racist, if he's part of that.

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 06:59:28 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
It should be noted that Hypertime was reconned long ago.

So Hypertime doesn't exist in the DC Universe anymore.

I sincerely hope this isn't true; having Kathy Kane show up in a Bat-book made my day. Unlike other historical plot elements, she barely shows up in ELSEWORLDS.

Alan Moore is a really big fan of Kathy Kane; for instance, he mentioned Batman was married to her in the fantasy created by Mongul's Black Orchid (though really, IMHO, I think it ought to have been Silver St. Cloud, but that's no reflection on the neatness of this character). Also, in his TRIAL OF YOUNGBLOOD, he created a Kathy Kane pastiche character, "Lady Day."

It irks me that THE KINGDOM and its concepts are demonized by fans. KINGDOM COME suffered from all the plot holes, implausibility, and characterization lapses that its sequel had, except there was no Alex Ross art to make us forget. And at least THE KINGDOM gave us the gift of Hypertime. Want the Atomic Knights to appear in your story, but don't want to say they're the "real" future? Hypertime solved a great many problems and made a great many stories possible that its exclusion is tragic.

As for Byrne being a racist - well, maybe "racial chauvanist" is a better term. His lack of sympathy for the New Orleans victims shows his problem is more about CLASS than RACE.

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
And the fact that they're acknowledging a multiverse of some kind again is just a different flavour of the same deal. If the multiverse is being acknowledged again, then the Atomic Knights, etc. still exist in their own DC realities.

Hopefully!

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L