superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:28:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre Crisis -> Post Crisis -> Post Infinite Crisis?  (Read 20827 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« on: November 08, 2005, 06:11:34 PM »

The original Crisis was such a defining event in the DCU that comicdom refers to Pre Crisis and Post Crisis DCU in the same manner as we date things either BC (Before Christ) or AD (Anno Domini or 'in the year of our Lord').

Will IC be of the same level and scope of change that events will similarly be dated in the DCU from that pivotal DC event?

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 07:08:04 PM »

No. After Infinite Crisis is over, the brains of all comic readers will explode. There will be simply no way to categorize all the major, annual life-changing DCU events over the last 20 years...at least not accessible to the human mind.

In order to keep up with DC, we will have to create a new manner of personal computer to put in each person's home. The computers will take over and enslave humanity.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 07:15:16 PM »

Well, COIE combined the different earths DC had.  Infinite Crisis isn't going to split them from what I've read and heard.  Changes will be instituted to various characters and each book except Superman, Batman, Action and Detective will start with new #1's.  So I don't think IC is going to be regarded as changing as much.

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 07:27:29 PM »

Even though "Crisis on Infinite Earths" and Byrne's "Man of Steel" reboot were separate events that happened at different times, people now refer to the Byrne Superman as the "post-Crisis" Superman and the pre-MOS Superman as the "pre-Crisis" Superman.

Superman is again in the midst of going through some big changes, continuity-wise.  His origin has changed from Byrne's MOS to Waid's "Birthright."  He now knew Lex when they were teenagers instead of first meeting as adults; he was launched from Krypton as a baby instead of as a couple of zygotes; It was a different rocket; different birth parents; etc.

This is a new continuity.  I predict that, as happened with "Crisis," down the road, "Infinite Crisis" will be seen as the demarcation point.  So, yes, there will be a "post-Crisis" and a "post-Infinite Crisis" or some similar set of terms.  I can't think of any other way to name the new continuities that will now exist.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 07:37:53 PM »

Also to theres no fire left in this kind of event because comicbook companies have totally used it up. The Earth planetary or galactic level threat has very little punch when the whole planet beign threatend on a level that requires more than one hero happens every month in JLA.

The big crossover has become a routine and a bloated shell of it's former self. All it is now is just a lottery for who's gonna die or get canceled.

But even so they do tend to sell well.

My compromise would be this:

Many of the heroes of the DCU are members of something called the Justice League. A benevolent group ran and funded either by the UN. The heroes in the DCU with few exceptions are all part of this group.

So instead of having a regular ongoing JL title where someone has to come up with a threat level worthy of the big 7 every single month, or a annual crossover that bends the universe I would instead make The Justice League book an *annual* event.

Keep team ups in the DCU to a bare minimum and then once a year the various members of the Justice League basically the bulk of their superhero universe ideally with the big 7 in the lead) must band together to face a threat that is far more than one, two, or a handful of heroes can face by themselves.

Since the team-ups would be rare and special things then seeing all the characters together in one story would in and of itself be an event in addtion to whatever Galactus, Darkseid, Anti-Monitor, OMAC, sized threat they were dealing with. The creators would have an entire year to come up with the annual JL event and plenty of time to wrangle the best writer and artist to pull it off.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 05:35:22 AM »

Quote from: "DoctorZero"
Well, COIE combined the different earths DC had.  Infinite Crisis isn't going to split them from what I've read and heard.  Changes will be instituted to various characters and each book except Superman, Batman, Action and Detective will start with new #1's.  So I don't think IC is going to be regarded as changing as much.

No, no, no!!!  COIE did NOT combine the different Earths!  All it did was shift our attention from the E-1 Multiverse to a NEW universe.  We didn't even KNOW it at the time.  

Just like comics fans didn't know that DC shifted from the Golden Age Earth to the Earth-1 until much later.  

Wink

The merged Earth at the end of COIE is a different Earth than the Earth on which Man Of Steel takes place upon, which is different than that of Birthright.    

There is STILL an Earth-2 that was UNTOUCHED by the COIE.  The Multiverse was simply TOO BIG for the Anti-Monitor to realize that.  For every Earth-1 he destroyed, FIVE of them survived!

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 05:58:35 AM »

If the Multiverse really had an infinite amount of Earths, then all that the Anti-Monitor did was destroy is super tiny fraction of them.

There is STILL an Earth-2 that was UNTOUCHED by the COIE. The Multiverse was simply TOO BIG for the Anti-Monitor to realize that. For every Earth-1 he destroyed, FIVE of them survived!

More like 5 duotrigintillion! (google it Wink )

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 07:01:34 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
No. After Infinite Crisis is over, the brains of all comic readers will explode. There will be simply no way to categorize all the major, annual life-changing DCU events over the last 20 years...at least not accessible to the human mind.

In order to keep up with DC, we will have to create a new manner of personal computer to put in each person's home. The computers will take over and enslave humanity.

This is, in fact, the plot of next year's major DC event.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L