superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:37:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre Crisis -> Post Crisis -> Post Infinite Crisis?  (Read 20804 times)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2005, 09:13:44 AM »

Evidently I'm not alone in being completely baffled by all this. Everywhere I go, I keep running into the same questions, asked, I suspect, with a note of despair. I've pretty much given up on trying to understand it all, but this guy's made a tremendous effort if any of you lot wants to have a look: http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=88800&page=1

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2005, 05:10:53 PM »

I'll see if I can summarize the various Supergirls since the Crisis.

Matrix Supergirl started out as a protomatter pseudolifeform created by the Pocketverse Luthor.  She had Lana Lang's persona imprinted on her.

When Matrix migrated to the mainstream DCU Earth, she took no other identity while living with the Kents.  She did take on Superman's likeness and identity at one point but her addled mind got better.  She also took Draaga's shape on after Panic in the Sky to honour the noble warrior's self-sacrifice, but mysteriously went to using his classic form again later.

A Kara of Argo was shown, IIRC, in the Superman vs Aliens one-shot.  Argo was colonized by people influenced by Kryptonian culture though they weren't Kryptonians themselves.  I don't think that book is in canon, however, so this is a moot point included just for interest sake.

Power Girl is the Earth-2 version of Kara Zor-el and is evidently once again the multiverse counterpart to the mainstream Kara Zor-El Supergirl.  For a time she was considered the granddaughter of Arion of Atlantis and possibly other retcons on her origin.  Johns has explained this as reality trying to fit her in since she really didn't belong in the Post Crisis DCU.

Andromeda/Laurel Gand and her SW6 duplicate were Daxamite descendants of Lar Gand introduced into the LSH continuity to fill the gap formerly filled by the real Supergirl.

Cir-El was another Supergirl thinking herself the daughter of Lois and Clark but was really a Terran woman of the present imprinted with partial powers based on genes in Superman's hair by Brainiac-13.

Matrix Supergirl eventually merged with a real woman, Linda Danvers, to form PAD's 'Earth Angel' Supergirl.  Eventually, both were split again with Matrix leaving Earth and Linda continuing as a singular Supergirl with most of their former powers.  She has been essentially written out of the current DCU books as no one but PAD gives a hang about her.

PAD introduced a supposed 'real Kara Zor-El' from the SA era in his Earth Angel misguided series.  She returned to her supposed Pre Crisis Earth to live out her destiny to die fighting the Anti-Monitor in the Crisis.

The current Supergirl is the supposed Post Crisis incarnation of Kara Zor-El.  See the current Supergirl book and the recent Superman/Batman intro stories on her.

I think that's it.  Somebody fill in the gaps if I've missed something.

I suspect this huge mess is symptomatic of the fact that no one has ever been able to keep a Supergirl book alive in any era.  It remains to be seen if the current attempt will fare any better.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2005, 08:26:00 AM »

Finally, a sensible summarization! Thanks, Cap. They should really have left her memory alone, shouldn't they? As you say, a Supergirl title has never really been viable.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2005, 05:05:04 PM »

Quote from: "Permanus"
Evidently I'm not alone in being completely baffled by all this. Everywhere I go, I keep running into the same questions, asked, I suspect, with a note of despair. I've pretty much given up on trying to understand it all, but this guy's made a tremendous effort if any of you lot wants to have a look: http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=88800&page=1

That timeline has been updated here:
http://superman.nu/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=14815#14815

I'm also pretty sure that all this has already been explained and discussed somewhere in these forums.  Try a Search or browse the Supergirl section.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L