superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:12:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC#2 - those last pages are something -lots of spoilers here  (Read 33721 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2005, 03:53:35 AM »

I recently finished reading Infinite Crisis #2, and I've got my doubts that this is the same Earth-2 Superman that was in Crisis On Infinite Earths.  I don't remember the Earth-2 Superman ever having a "Fort" in the arctic, I thought the he just had the Secret Mountain Citadel outside Metropolis.

I also don't remember the Earth-2 Zor-El having a big golden hoop earring like we saw in this issue.

So it looks like Earth-Two and Earth-2 are similar places, but not identical.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Anonymous
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2005, 04:08:19 AM »

jsa 82 cover?

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/JSA/PaulJSA82.gif
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2005, 05:08:37 AM »

If the Earth-2 Superman is joining the JSA, so am I.  That's one issue I won't be missing.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2005, 06:22:06 AM »

Rao, take a look at the Paul Levitz interview and the three pages at:
http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/JSA/LevitzJSA.htm

This is supposed to be a "flashback" story taking place when the JSA disbanded in the 1950s, so I fully expect that Earth-2 Batman is still dead. BUT perhaps both Kal-L AND Lois survive Infinite Crisis. And it looks like Lois is either convalescing or comfortably spending her sunset years in an apartment at the JSA brownstone. The flashback story is told from her recollections, which is so appropriate from her reporter's background. (I can see Lois as the scribe of the Golden Age JSA adventures.)

However, other sharp-eyed posters on the DC Message Boards point out that former Red Tornado/ current JSA Museum Curator Ma Hunkle is reading Lois' notebook. so Lois might have written this story on Pre-Crisis Earth-2 or even in the Paradise Dimension where we saw a faux Metropolis in The Kingdom.  So we're not ABSOLUTELY sure if Kal-L or Lois survive Infinite Crisis, or if the JSA is now on a new Earth-2.  But obviously Superman and Batman have been restored to their historic roles in JSA history -- note the Superman statue beyond the archway on page one.

Can anyone decipher the Gregg shorthand on Lois' notebook, seen on the cover behind Superman and the Gentleman Ghost?  Also, take a good look at the building ad on the third page as Superman and Batman react to the JSA's disbandment. Recognize those names?  :wink:

DTO
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2005, 09:59:06 AM »

Q: Is Mister Atom dead?

A: Oh sure – as dead as any robotic life form made out of metal when they’re disassembled can be. We’d love to see the ambulance pull up with only a wrench inside…

Awww, dang it!

I knew, sooner or later that they were going to kill somebody off that I liked. It's all well and good to view the death of someone like Uncle Sam and the Black Condor with clinical detachment, but the DC Universe is all the poorer (and Captain Marvel is all the poorer) without that absolutely fantastic Monster Society of Evil member.

He has a great look, neat powers, history...it's unfortunate that they decided to eliminate this particular killer robot.

Q: Kite Man?

A: Chalk up another villain who will be missed by seven people. Likewise, if you’re keeping track, cross out Fisherman (an old Aquaman villain) too – he took four in the back in Gotham Central #37 courtesy of Detectives Josie MacDonald and Marcus Driver.

I really hate how when they say "clean house," what they really mean is "kill off Silver Age characters with potential that haven't appeared in comics stories in decades." If Kurt Busiek could do one of the greatest AVENGERS stories ever with Kulan Gath, who's to say some future Aqua-writer can't tell a good story with the Fisherman? That's the most shortsighted thing in the world.

Apparently, the only people that can ever have bad ideas are Silver Age writers. You know what would be great? Is if they did a Crisis and only eliminated MODERN Age characters. The death of Damage was a step in the right direction. Anybody ever read the recent DC Comics Encyclopedia? Choked to the rim with lousy comics: Lab Rats (ugh) the DNAngels (double ugh) any character that ever appeared as an enemy in STEEL, YOUNG JUSTICE or IMPULSE - all these people are calling for the ultimate penalty! Ditto for those odious little weasels in Young Justice, the Relative Heroes, Young Heroes in Love...

Don't forget Ma'alefik (giving the Martian Manhunter a totally boring archnemesis? Good going, ferretbrains!)

That one character not created by Kirby who is yet ANOTHER son of Darkseid (yawn)

Any Superman villain created by Chuck Austen, any supporting cast member created by John Byrne or the Carlin team (Ron Troupe, Cat Grant, and most especially Rampage - which is an act of intellectual theft so obvious and so crooked after even touching a comic with her in it, I feel like bathing in lysol)

Any Modern Age Superman supervillain sans Maxima and Riot: La Encantadora, Conduit, Doomsday, Misa, that...guy that makes deathtraps for a living whose name escapes me at the moment

The Huntress, who without Earth-2 has been deprived of a reason to exist

Any "teen replacement" for an experienced superhero (yes, that means you, Ray, and you, new Firestorm)

Anybody in the Peter David Aquaman supporting cast: the wizard Atlan (who?) that crooked High Priest, Thanatos...

And finally, for the love of GOD, Lobo. He's not only a joke that is not funny anymore; he's a joke that drunk relatives bring out over and over during the holidays that you come to slightly resent.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2005, 02:09:36 PM »

bizarro head hurt
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2005, 04:33:54 PM »

I think the changes in the Earth 2 Superman are due to the writer's mistakes, not a planned thing.
I would be more than happy to see Earth 2 restored and it would make an incredible amount of sense, which is why I don't think DC is going to do this.

Continental Op
Superman Family

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2005, 09:19:53 PM »

Yes, DC intends it to be the real E-2 Superman who was around before CRISIS. More on that below.

Whether or not they will "get it right" is still an open question.

If I can trust anyone currently at DC to do the character justice as a writer, it would be Paul Levitz. He signed off on a lot of garbage as company head honcho and PUBLISHER, over the years, but as a writer I think his affection has always been for the pre-CRISIS characters...

From an early "leak" of the February solicitations:

INFINITE CRISIS SECRET FILES 2006
Written by Marv Wolfman
Art by Dan Jurgens with Jerry Ordway & Marc Campos
Cover by Ivan Reis & Campos
Don’t miss this important side chapter of the INFINITE CRISIS saga! Superman of Earth-2, his wife, Lois Lane of Earth-2, Alex Luthor of Earth-3 and Superboy from Earth Prime: the last survivors of CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS. What happened to them after CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS is finally revealed here for the first time by one of the masterminds behind that landmark event: writer Marv Wolfman (NEW TEEN TITANS)!
Learn what these heroes have been doing, how they have changed, and how their reappearance will force the DCU’s heroes to reexamine themselves. This is the one Secret Files you dare not miss!
On sale February 22 • 64 pg, FC, $5.99 US

JSA #82
Written by Paul Levitz
Art and cover by George Pérez & Bob Wiacek
Legendary JSA writer Paul Levitz makes his stellar return to the DCU with superstar artist George Pérez (CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS, WONDER WOMAN) for an important chapter of INFINITE CRISIS in a story featuring the members of original JSA: Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman! Please see the Dynamic Forces section of Previews for a signed edition.
On sale February 1 • 32 pg, FC, $2.50 US

INFINITE CRISIS #5
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Phil Jimenez & Andy Lanning
Covers by Jim Lee & Sandra Hope and George Pérez
The DCU shakes apart as Superman of Earth 2 finally confronts our Superman. Meanwhile, heroes are disappearing throughout the DC Universe, a transformed villain returns, and the mystics of every world and dimension seek help from the very Spirit that is destroying them. Retailers please note: This issue will ship with covers by Lee & Hope (approximately 50%) and Pérez (approximately 50%).
On sale February 15 • 5 of 7 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

(Note: the cover for this issue is now up at Newsarama's website and shows E-2 Superman punching out the current version, by Perez)

SUPERMAN #226
Written by Joe Kelly
Art by Tim Sale, Ed Benes and Dan Jurgens
Cover by Ed McGuinness
Part 1 of “This Is Your Life, Superman,” a 3-part tale
running through all three Superman titles in February! Witness the arrival of Kal-L, the Last Son of Krypton! Learn how he grew up to be the greatest hero of Earth-2. This issue includes a special origin album by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale, the creative team behind SUPERMAN FOR ALL SEASONS!
On sale February 1 • 32 pg, FC, $2.50 US

ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #649
Written by Joe Kelly
Art by Karl Kerschl, Ed Benes and Dan Jurgens
Cover by Ivan Reis & Marc Campos
The conclusion to the 3-part “This Is Your Life, Superman!”
Relive the climactic adventure of Earth-2’s Man of Steel as his world falls apart during the events of the original CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS.
On sale Feb 15 • 32 pg, FC, $2.50 US

ACTION COMICS #836
Written by Joe Kelly
Art by Ed Benes and Dan Jurgens
Cover by Mark Schultz
Part 2 of the 3-part “This Is Your Life, Superman!” Superman
is caught by the one person he can’t defeat: Lois Lane! Witness the undying love story of the greatest couple of Earth-2, and how their love could bring about the end of the universe.
On sale Feb 8 • 32 pg, FC, $2.50 US

SUPERGIRL #6
Written by Jeph Loeb
Art by Ian Churchill & Norm Rapmund
Covers by Churchill & Rapmund and Michael Turner
There can only be one true Supergirl, and there's only one person who can help Kara win that title: Superman!
They've thrown down before, but now Superman has to stop Supergirl — even if it means the most unexpected death of all! Don’t miss this special issue guest-starring Batman and Wonder Woman! Retailers please note: This issue will feature two covers by Churchill & Rapmund and Michael Turner. Please see order form for details.
On sale February 8 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L