superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe EXILE at the EDGE OF ETERNITY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:57:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC#2 - those last pages are something -lots of spoilers here  (Read 32970 times)
Ar-Thur8691
Superman Fan

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2005, 07:38:03 PM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
There are pretty fundemental reasons why people here tend to prefer the pre-Crisis Superman, it runs quite a bit deeper than that, though of course, personal preference is pretty big...

The real problem hitting Supes is the same problem that has plagued Captain America since his re-introduction in the 60s. Mainly, how do you make an patriotic icon relevant to today's society.

The answer is you don't.

They can and will build its own audience if the stories are well written and the artwork consistently good.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2005, 07:55:26 PM »

As for me, I don't buy comics and really don't bash the current age at all...I don't even like the Bronze Age stories and I don't think the Silver Age is coming back...I just prefer the comics from then, when I did buy comics...there is a bigger variety of opinions here than might meet the eye...
Ar-Thur8691
Superman Fan

« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2005, 08:00:17 PM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
As for me, I don't buy comics and really don't bash the current age at all...I don't even like the Bronze Age stories and I don't think the Silver Age is coming back...I just prefer the comics from then, when I did buy comics...there is a bigger variety of opinions here than might meet the eye...

But is that because the feeling of the stories changed or because you lost interest. A lot of people feel that they have outgrown comics as a whole. But ehough of that this is a topic for another forum.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2005, 08:06:32 PM »

Agreed, a new topic, go ahead and start one, I think its interesting...

I left comics because I was growing up and didn't want to be a nerd, and because I thought the Bronze Age was adding to much overly serious and involved mythos that tied too many things together, when I prefered more imagination (personally, I think this direction actaully LED to the Crisis which so many people hate)...and I didn't like ham handed references to popular culture, Galaxy Broadcasting, Steve Lombard etc...
Ar-Thur8691
Superman Fan

« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2005, 08:14:58 PM »

I am game if anyone else is interested...
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2005, 08:21:35 PM »

I'll start something up in the general Superman forum... Cool
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2005, 08:36:46 PM »

Quote from: "Ar-Thur8691"
Looking at all of the posts, "today's Superman is bogus, the silver age Superman ruled", reminds me of hearing people go on and on about how the 40's and 50's were a golden age where everyone got along fine, everyone had a job and America was the bestest ever.

I think what is happening is that we are getting older and long for our youth which happens in every generation. In our case we look at the books that were published when we were kids and go "Ah, if only comics were like this again! I don't understand the world today."

When people complain about "life today" aand how things were so much better when they were younger, I ask them this question, "Did you really appreciate what you had then or did you not think about it until it was gone?"

The nolstagia card doesn't really work with me.   My life was somehwat crappy back then.  My teachers used me as an example of what not to be.

I enjoy and appreciate what I have now.

Having said all of this, I think DC and Marvel both have gotten darker, in an effort to connect with today's audience. I think they are suffering from a combination of Marvel's initial success of "realism" and fans reaction to the X-Men "mutant angst".

Let's face it, some of the best stories from Marvel over the last 20 years have been from this area.

They are overplaying the angst and the darkness and the gore.

Kids related to these characters that were struggling to be accepted despite being different. Kids have always felt this way. The problem now is that they are being portrayed as being emotionally disturbed and dangerous. On the flip-side, they are portrayed as needing to be protected from all "negative" input but Barney.

This is the other problem.  It is either Barney and the sugary sweetness or the darkness and gore.  There is no middle ground anymore.

The Superman from the recent animated series is a respectable character.  I don't mind reading stories about him.  

If I compare the Adventures Superman to the Comic Superman, the Comic Superman comes up short in so many ways.
Ar-Thur8691
Superman Fan

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2005, 08:39:05 PM »

Quote from: "ShinDangaioh
If I compare the Adventures Superman to the Comic Superman, the Comic Superman comes up short in so many ways.

In which ways exactly?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L