superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:35:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on Crisis, Infinite Crisis, & major retcons.  (Read 13469 times)
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 12:01:50 PM »

Quote from: "llozymandias"
How about the excuse/rationale DC gave for eliminating their multiverse.  Parallel universes (with multiple counterparts of characters) is too confusing for new/casual readers.  A good Whos Who was all that was really needed here.  Plus DC's post-crisis continuity is far more confusing than their pre-crisis continuity ever was.  Anyone who can't understand DC's Pre-Crisis Multiverse should never study their own family tree.  Genealogy & other forms of real world history are far more complex & potentially confusing than any fictional continuity/history.

The ironic thing was while Crisis was going on DC was also putting out a massive multi-issue Who's Who. The CSA of Earh-3's footnote states that they along with their Earth were wiped out in Crisis #1.

As far as confusing has DC read a Marvel Comic book in the last 30 years? The Madelyne Pryor/Goblin Queen/Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix mess makes Post-Crisis Hawkman and LSH histories look sane by comparison. Spiderman's and the X-men's histories are such a convoluted mess that I have no idea what is going on in those books any more.

Perhaps what DC really should do is launch their own Ultimate line and create a new DCU from scratch but keep the current titles as well.
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 05:05:13 PM »

I posted this on the DC boards:

What I'm going to hope for is that Earth-A managed to slip under the radar of the Monitor and Anti-Monitor. Earth-A and Earth-1 are pretty much the same Earth. Hopefully, Earth-A got away because it looked like Earth-1 from a distance and was never bothered by the COIE or its characters. Earth-2A and Earth-1A are probably other universes that managed to slip away by looking close enough like the primary line to fool the the two Monitors.

Harbinger said that Oa was only in the Earth-1 universe and its only duplicate was in Qward. However, as I pointed out Earth-A is a duplicate of Earth-1. It did have an Oa or does have an Oa. I don't beleive Harbinger, Alex Luthor, or the two Monitors KNEW of Earth-A. Earth-1A is another universe that had an Oa. Big glaring error in the Crisis. There were three universe with an Oa and it looks like COIE only got one of them.

1,2,4,S, & X were in Nether Space when the Anti-Monitor went back to the begining of time to reset the universe. The Monitor's equipment to transport Earth 1 and Earth 2 to Nether Space was scattered across the temporal boundraies, so the entire timeline of those two universes were transported as well. I'm not sure about 4,S,& X though. The time reboot merged only those five Earths

With all the argument about the current DCUbeing Earth-1, it'll just be a lot easier to use Earth-A to get the Silver/Bronze Age Superman into the story. With Earth-A not being bothered by COIE.....

Look up in the sky, it's Kal-El, Kara Zor-El, Lydia-7, and Kristen Wells.

Earth-A was an alterante Earth-1 that was split off by the Earth-1 Johnny Thunder long before COIE was ever concieved.

This constant we have to keep shoving all the heroes into one universe has created a problem for a lot of writers. I think that's why the Wilstorm characters have been kept out of the mainstream DCU. It's just too cluttered. The multiverse will be able to spread the heroes out and we won't have this insane number of metas on one world.

If a character is from another company and doesn't have instant icon status, they are considered canon fodder for every crisis that comes along. Look at Freedom Fighters. Look at Blue Beetle.
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 12:16:50 AM »

Earth-D (in the Crisis Multiverse) also had an OA & a GLC.  In Crisis Harbinger claims that OA is only in the Earth-1 universe, with no counterparts anywhere in the multiverse.  She believed that because it's what the Monitor told her.  Maybe the Monitor (& possibly Harbinger) lied about that.  Heck they probably also lied about the origin of the multiverse.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Anonymous
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 01:54:59 AM »

Quote from: "llozymandias"
Earth-D (in the Crisis Multiverse) also had an OA & a GLC.  In Crisis Harbinger claims that OA is only in the Earth-1 universe, with no counterparts anywhere in the multiverse.  She believed that because it's what the Monitor told her.  Maybe the Monitor (& possibly Harbinger) lied about that.  Heck they probably also lied about the origin of the multiverse.

maybe donna troy can tell us...
and any universe where the GLC was duplicated i'm sure there's an OA.
wasn't alan scott's origin tied to OA in the silver age somehow even tho he was a sliver age charachter?
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 02:32:50 AM »

Alan, in the Golden Age, got his power from a meteor, easily made an Oan construction -- but then again the Speed Force is an easy step too, but it all depends what you like and who you demonize... Cool
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 05:38:05 AM »

The fact that Earth-A and Earth-D (I assume this is the one seen in DC COMICS PRESENTS with a black Superman?) have Green Lanterns does not necessarily indicate that they also had an Oa. There was a Green Lantern on Earth-2, but he had an origin that was completely different from the Earth-1 Lantern.

Even if there are Guardians mentioned, perhaps they don't live on Oa, they inhabit an adjoining planet from one at the center of the universe. Alternatively, maybe the Guardians only LOOK like the Guardians of Earth-1; maybe they're really EVIL SQUIDS OUT TO KILL EVERYBODY! (With illusion-powers naturally, that keeps everybody trusting them; the GL Corps in that universe are all EVIL beings, in disguise as heroes as a part of a plot for universal domination).

Quote from: "ShinDangaioh"
If a character is from another company and doesn't have instant icon status, they are considered canon fodder for every crisis that comes along. Look at Freedom Fighters. Look at Blue Beetle.

There was a story that the Timely publisher (Timely being the company that in the 1960s became "Marvel Comics") was offered $50,000 in the 1950s by DC, several times, for the rights to Captain America, the Human Torch, Whizzer, and Sub-Mariner. At the time, superheroes were on the out, and this was being unreally generous for characters that Timely wasn't even publishing. This publisher, a shrewd guy said, "nah, I'm already a millionaire, I don't need the money. I like these characters; in fact, I think I'll hold on to them."

And a good thing too - instead of being shoved in the back of a JSA group photo or used as one or two time guest-stars in Roy Thomas's ALL-STAR SQUADRON before being killed outright at a future crossover as cannon fodder deaths (as these Marvel heroes undoubtedly would have been) they were instead brought back and handled with incredible style by Stan Lee and other writers as the centerpiece of a Marvel Universe: Captain America as the leader and big shot of the biggest team of heroes in Marvel except the FF, Namor as possibly the most compelling, sympathetic, original, and charismatic villain ever created, and the Human Torch as the conceptual forebear of one of the greatest heroes in the Marvel Universe (Johnny Storm), as well as being a part of a fascinating backstory involving another great character (the Vision).

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
Alan, in the Golden Age, got his power from a meteor, easily made an Oan construction -- but then again the Speed Force is an easy step too, but it all depends what you like and who you demonize... Cool

OUCH! OW!  :hit:

I assume that was directed at me, Matter-Eater-Lad, and my lengthy anti-Speed Force crtiques in the other forum? I've never demonized anybody, I'll have you know. I just don't agree with some ideas put out by some writers, some of which are counter to the spirit of the characters and world they are writing in.

(The exceptions of course, are Ellis - who is so smug and smarmy and venom-filled disproportionate to his actual non-talent, that I absolutely loathe him as a human being as well as a writer. Ditto for  Captain Johnny Redbeard; doesn't everybody have a "Byrne Behaving Badly" story?)

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Anonymous
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 05:55:12 AM »

looks pretty obvious that connor survives the Crisis.

Marv Wolfman returns to the Titans! Get ready for the first TEEN TITANS ANNUAL. Having narrowly survived the death and destruction of the CRISIS, Superboy and Wonder Girl find some time alone in Smallville...but will it be a bloody Valentine?

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Feb06/DCU/TeenTitansAnnualCv.jpg
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 06:28:44 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
The fact that Earth-A and Earth-D (I assume this is the one seen in DC COMICS PRESENTS with a black Superman?)

No, that story is from 1999, though it takes place in the pre-crisis DC.

I don't have the issue and I have never read it, I only know of it.

It was a one-shot called "Legends of the DC Universe: Crisis on Infinite Earths #1"

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L