superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:41:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on Crisis, Infinite Crisis, & major retcons.  (Read 13467 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 04:40:20 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
OUCH! OW!  :hit:

I assume that was directed at me, Matter-Eater-Lad, and my lengthy anti-Speed Force crtiques in the other forum? I've never demonized anybody, I'll have you know. I just don't agree with some ideas put out by some writers, some of which are counter to the spirit of the characters and world they are writing in.

No, not at all, what I mean about that is that you can make the Earth 2 meteor origin fit an Oan continuity, or you can make all the speedsters varied origins fit the speed force...

So what is and is not canon always seems to me to be up to personal preference...

My preferences to keep Supes out of the Oan continuity or the Daxamites isn't too popular here... Cool
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 05:30:25 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
The fact that Earth-A and Earth-D (I assume this is the one seen in DC COMICS PRESENTS with a black Superman?) have Green Lanterns does not necessarily indicate that they also had an Oa. There was a Green Lantern on Earth-2, but he had an origin that was completely different from the Earth-1 Lantern.

Even if there are Guardians mentioned, perhaps they don't live on Oa, they inhabit an adjoining planet from one at the center of the universe. Alternatively, maybe the Guardians only LOOK like the Guardians of Earth-1; maybe they're really EVIL SQUIDS OUT TO KILL EVERYBODY! (With illusion-powers naturally, that keeps everybody trusting them; the GL Corps in that universe are all EVIL beings, in disguise as heroes as a part of a plot for universal domination).

Someone already took care of Earth D for me, so I'm not going to bother.

At the time, Earth A was an exact duplicate of the Earth 1 universe.  It was splintered away by the actions of the Johnny Storms of Earth 1 and Earth 2.
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 05:39:50 PM »

Quote from: "ShinDangaioh"
Someone already took care of Earth D for me, so I'm not going to bother.

At the time, Earth A was an exact duplicate of the Earth 1 universe.  It was splintered away by the actions of the Johnny Storms of Earth 1 and Earth 2.

There there was Earth-B the dumbing ground for all the "Earth-1' stories that could not be fitted into normal continuty.  Earth-B's last appearance was in DC Challenge which basicly was 'writer go wild this issue and leave it to the  the poor soul that comes after you next issue to get out of the corner you happily painted him into.'  :lol:
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 05:07:02 AM »

I always considered "DC Challenge!" to be Earth-B's version of "Crisis on Infinite Earths".  Which means Kara and Barry survived, and Earth-B must be still around -- somewhere...   :wink:

DTO
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 04:01:46 AM »

Quote from: "dto"
I always considered "DC Challenge!" to be Earth-B's version of "Crisis on Infinite Earths".  Which means Kara and Barry survived, and Earth-B must be still around -- somewhere...   :wink:

As Earth-B's "creator", E. Nelson Bridwell once said, "wherever 2 or 3 of you gather together in my memory, there will be Earth-B."  Or something.

I am not a huge fan of the (Maggin-instigated?) connection between Superman and the Guardians, where Superman is the universal messiah, genetically prepared for millenia as the ultimate Green Lantern, or somesuch thing.  For me, it makes explicit too much of the Superman myth.  Too literal.  I like the smaller references to the GL Corps in the Maggin novels (a Kryptonian was the first Lantern, etc), but that's about it.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2005, 04:15:59 AM »

What?Huh?Huh?Huh?

Telle, you agree with me there, and I missed it!!!!!!! :lol:
Anonymous
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 02:30:53 PM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
Quote from: "dto"

As Earth-B's "creator", E. Nelson Bridwell once said, "wherever 2 or 3 of you gather together in my memory, there will be Earth-B."  Or something.

I am not a huge fan of the (Maggin-instigated?) connection between Superman and the Guardians, where Superman is the universal messiah, genetically prepared for millenia as the ultimate Green Lantern, or somesuch thing.  For me, it makes explicit too much of the Superman myth.  Too literal.  I like the smaller references to the GL Corps in the Maggin novels (a Kryptonian was the first Lantern, etc), but that's about it.

it would be cool to see the giant battery on OA completely composed of kryptonite...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L