superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:22:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Al Schroeder III?!?!  (Read 7044 times)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« on: November 13, 2005, 10:32:04 AM »

You could have knocked me over with a kryptonite-laced feather when I saw Al Schroeder III's name pop up in an IC topic on this forum (it's now locked, so I can't post on it). Wow! This was almost as good as having Jimmy Olsen post a comment. I remember when "Metropolis Mailbag" seemed to belong exclusively to him and Barbara Long; I even remember her announcing their engagement ("A RING!!!!") in those pages. Talk about a blast from the past.

I wonder whatever happened to The Mad Maple, later T M Maple? He unmasked himself in a lettercolumn some time in the late 80s, I seem to remember; his name was Jim Something. Then he vanished, almost as if he had been written out of the Post-Crisis continuity.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 10:47:09 AM »

I believe T.M. Maple passed away, unfortunately.

His absence is keenly felt.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 11:16:29 AM »

That's very sad to hear, and I hope my tone didn't seem flippant in my earlier post. For anybody who never read any of his letters, I found a tribute to him floating around out there:

http://webpages.csus.edu/~sac53175/maple1.htm

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 01:55:48 PM »

I believe Maple's name was Jim Burke.  

The story of his passing, as I recall it from reading an Amazing Heroes from the very early 1990's, is that he was walking into his comic shop when he had his fatal heart attack.  

I'm one of those guys who'd flip to the back of the book and look for his letters before reading the story, too!  Wink  I'm just glad so many editors loved his stuff as much as we did!  

RIP, Mr. Burke.

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 02:19:24 PM »

He also made it to the pages of Bob Burden's Flaming Carrot, as I recall, but I can't remember which issue. I just remember the Carrot getting a letter and observing: "Is letter from T. M. Maple! He liked last issue! Good!"

I always wondered how the guy could fit in not only reading as many comics as he did, but also penning such well thought-out critiques of them. In a way, it's sort of comforting to know he keeled over in a comic shop. You know what I mean.

Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 08:36:50 PM »

I know EXACTLY what you mean.  

It IS comforting to know Mr. Burke died doing something he so loved.  

Wink

Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 09:52:32 PM »

Given how some of those old-time letterhacks turned into great writers of the books themselves like Bob Rozakis and Martin Pasko, it is a shame he didn't live to become a writer himself.

I wonder what the Hypertimeline is like where Maple is now an esteemed superbook writer ...

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
alschroeder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 03:00:25 PM »

Quote from: "Permanus"
You could have knocked me over with a kryptonite-laced feather when I saw Al Schroeder III's name pop up in an IC topic on this forum (it's now locked, so I can't post on it). Wow! This was almost as good as having Jimmy Olsen post a comment. I remember when "Metropolis Mailbag" seemed to belong exclusively to him and Barbara Long; I even remember her announcing their engagement ("A RING!!!!") in those pages. Talk about a blast from the past.

Now we've celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary....had three kids...(one of which is in college).  I highly recommend meeting your future spouse in comic book letter columns.
   Too bad they don't HAVE those any more.---Al

Al Schroeder III, former letterhack (met his wife through Julie Schwartz' lettercolumns) of MINDMISTRESS http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com---think the superhero genre is mined out? Think there are no new superhero ideas?

Think again.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L