superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:08:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superwoman's "Empathic Powers?"  (Read 8532 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« on: November 14, 2005, 08:44:41 PM »

Here's a question:

On pg. 4 of DC COMICS PRESENTS ANNUAL #2, we see a listing of Superwoman's powers.

One of them is "Emotion-Sensing."

Huh?

There is some mild, very subtle evidence for this power in operation. For instance, in that very issue, at one point, demonstrating sharper than normal intuition, Superman asks if Superwoman is psychic. She responds with a dodgy, humorous answer.

Another (VERY subtle) hint of Superwoman's emotion-sensing powers is that in "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" it is Superwoman, of all of Superman's allies, that finds Lois Lane in the Fortress after the forceshield breaks down.

It doesn't surprise me that in various appearances, there are only hints of this power in operation. After all, if you had mind-reading powers, wouldn't the last thing you want your enemies to know is that you have them?

(While I thought Gruenwald's SQUADRON SUPREME was slow-paced, improbable, destructive, and unpleasant, I did find it very interesting and well thought out that the illusion-caster on the team...did not TELL anyone that what she created were illusions.)

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 01:55:37 AM »

who is superwoman?
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 02:37:26 AM »

You can read this...

http://superman.nu/tales2/superwoman/

Based on an earlier written story...
Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 04:01:41 AM »

was she retconned out of exsistance before Coie or as a result of?

and it was an interesting tie to make jimmy olsen her ancestor.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 09:13:00 AM »

I can't say I think of "emotion-sensing" as much of a superpower. I mean, everyone can do it, can't they? At least I can. You can usually tell what someone is feeling by subtle hints such as them screaming and shouting at you, tears of rage and frustration running down their cheeks, clawing at your cheeks and saying "I hate you, I hate you, I hate you". Believe me, when that happens, my superpower kicks in. "This person's getting emotional," I say to myself. I'm a pretty sensitive guy.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Gary
Superman Family

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 04:14:23 PM »

Is it just me, or does Superwoman just scream "Mary Sue"?
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 04:28:11 PM »

Quote from: "sikkbones"
was she retconned out of exsistance before Coie or as a result of?

and it was an interesting tie to make jimmy olsen her ancestor.

Kristen Wells has not appeared Post-Crisis except as a "Hypertime ghost" in "The Kingdom: Planet Krypton".  One assumes she exists in a future timeline that is no longer directly connected to current DC continuity.

Rememeber, even though Superwoman was still marooned in the 1980s she did not participate in the Crisis (her portals would have been quite useful against the walls of the Anti-Monitor's fortress), nor did we see any of these events that made her "quite possibly the greatest heroine of the 20th Century":

http://superman.nu/tales2/luthorconIII/?page=40

Superwoman with the Green Lantern Corps?  Accepting a medal from President Reagan?  And who's that villain in the lower right corner?

None of these incidents were ever mentioned Post-Crisis.  So one might assume Kristen's adventures in the 20th Century (and her "home" 29th Century) takes place on a Hypertime "Earth-1" that survived the Crisis, though perhaps both Supergirl and Wonder Woman still died, leaving the "greatest heroine" spot vacant for Superwoman.   :cry:

By the way, note the internal contradiction in "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" -- how can Superwoman appear when her ancestor Jimmy Olsen is killed at the Fortress of Solitude?  Did he and Lucy Lane have a secret love child beforehand?   :shock:

DTO
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 08:17:09 PM »

Quote from: "Gary"
Is it just me, or does Superwoman just scream "Mary Sue"?

This made me laugh when I read it because it's so totally true. A cute, charming and imaginative Mary Sue like Superwoman is still a Mary Sue. As much as I adore the Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel, she was, I am sorry to say, a self-indulgent writer fixation of Roger Stern's. I mean, jeez, she just showed up and a few years later became LEADER OF THE AVENGERS.

As for Kristen Wells...well, let's go down the Mary Sue checklist, shall we?

Demonstrates herself as more powerful and resourceful than the regular characters of the series? Check. (She beat Superman - who can outrace LIGHT - to Texas, and was the one that came up with every solution to the problems they faced; the only reason she didn't beat Kang - er, I mean, King Kosmos, is that she STOPPED herself "to make sure history goes the way it ought")

Has a romantic relationship or interest in the handsome/gorgeous male/female lead of the regular series? Check. (I mean jeez, look at her swooning over Superman)

A long lost relative of the main character or persona with a name so obvious it ought to have occurred to everybody (in this case, a long-lost "Superman Family" Member instead of the "G-6" in Gatchaman fanfic, or MY GOD, "Marissa Picard")

A situation emerges where "they are the only ones that can save the day?" Check. (That red lightning hitting the Batmobile and the JLA sattellite.)

Quote from: "dto"
Rememeber, even though Superwoman was still marooned in the 1980s she did not participate in the Crisis (her portals would have been quite useful against the walls of the Anti-Monitor's fortress), nor did we see any of these events that made her "quite possibly the greatest heroine of the 20th Century":

This is actually a pretty good point; why WAS Superwoman not involved in CRISIS?

Quote from: "dto"
Superwoman with the Green Lantern Corps?  Accepting a medal from President Reagan?  And who's that villain in the lower right corner?

None of these incidents were ever mentioned Post-Crisis.  So one might assume Kristen's adventures in the 20th Century (and her "home" 29th Century) takes place on a Hypertime "Earth-1" that survived the Crisis, though perhaps both Supergirl and Wonder Woman still died, leaving the "greatest heroine" spot vacant for Superwoman.   :cry:

By the way, note the internal contradiction in "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" -- how can Superwoman appear when her ancestor Jimmy Olsen is killed at the Fortress of Solitude?  Did he and Lucy Lane have a secret love child beforehand?   :shock:

If there is a hypertimeline where Earth-1 never ended, then it may be true that the future that Kristin Wells foretold, that Jimmy would become a successful business tycoon, DID come to pass come "What Happened..." All we know about Jimmy in that story is that he comes around to visit the Planet and still had his signal watch.

Perhaps he and his wife (presumably Lucy, though this may not be explicitly stated) were divorced, and Lucy has their children. There wouldn't be a reason to bring them out "on camera."

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L