superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:07:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question(s) about the Returned Heroes  (Read 7196 times)
Anonymous
« on: November 16, 2005, 02:31:32 AM »

Question(s) about the Returned Heroes

To me there seems to be some discrepancies about the rate of aging of the four. Lois and Alexander seem to be much older, Superman and Superboy-Prime about the same age as when they entered "Paradise". And what kind of Paradise would it be where the retired heroes can see what a mess the world has become? I also remember that "Paradise" was actually a pocket dimension only accessible by Alex's matter/anti-matter powers. Where did the crystal barrier come from? GA Super-man busts it open with physical force? Maybe these four are not who they seem?
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 02:38:56 AM »

Quote from: "sikkbones"
To me there seems to be some discrepancies about the rate of aging of the four. Lois and Alexander seem to be much older, Superman and Superboy-Prime about the same age as when they entered "Paradise".

Well, there you have it: the two that have superpowers have aged much slower, possibly because of their superpowers and superpowered metabolism, which presumably takes more from the food they eat and retains water and in general breaks down a lot less. Superman may or may not be immortal, but it makes sense that he (and someone with his powers, like Superboy) would age much more slowly.

On the other hand, Alex has no superpowers, whereas Lois is a normal woman that, it should be added, has been ill. Most older people when they're sick appear to be much, much more aged.

And what kind of Paradise would it be where the retired heroes can see what a mess the world has become? I also remember that "Paradise" was actually a pocket dimension only accessible by Alex's matter/anti-matter powers. Where did the crystal barrier come from? GA Super-man busts it open with physical force?

Good questions, actually. I really hope they resolve some points about the dimension that Earth-2 Superman is placed in.

Maybe these four are not who they seem?

Nah, no way. They have the big surprise reveal of Earth-2 Superman returning, and suddenly they pull the rug and say, "ha ha, we tricked you!" Something like this is too big to possibly end in a "fakeout."

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 03:00:04 AM »

How old does poor Lois look?
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 11:35:55 PM »

Since you mention that breaking through a crystal barrier to return to the real DCU, did anyone else notice how that resonated with the Superman of the 853rd century punching his way through time to return to his own era?  Both obstacles they were overcoming were dimensional barriers.

We do know E-2 Superman is capable of super-speed time travel, so he probably has the same dimension hopping potential of his E-1 Pre Crisis counterpart.  Any dimensional barrier that could make him struggle must be awesome indeed.  Of course, the legendary Hercules broke the supposedly unbreakable chains of Atlas.

I guess what Picard said on ST:TNG is true: Things are only impossible until they aren't!

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 12:51:16 AM »

The 4 minute mile comes to mind.

Sorta off topic, Kal-L's power didn't come from yellow sunlight did it?

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 03:42:15 AM »

Quote from: "RedSunOfKrypton"
Sorta off topic, Kal-L's power didn't come from yellow sunlight did it?

No, it didn't.  You're noticing just one of the many assorted Earth-2 Superman continuity flubs that we've seen in Infinite Crisis.  It looks like DC is pretty much creating a new Earth-2 Superman.  Not that I mind, I think it's great.  It's just not clear whether or not this is an intentional move on their part.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 08:18:45 AM »

I doubt it's intentional. Probably just another continuity gaff.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 11:43:26 AM »

Well, yes and no to a continuity gaffe here.

Siegel established Krypton's red sun in Action Comics #14, well in the early Golden Age.

Up until about 1982, the two Supermen were depicted as equals when the occasion arose in the stories.

Even in COIE, E-2 Superman was capable of decking his more powerful counterpart which puts them in the same league for power.  He proceeded to the final battle with the Anti-Monitor; though assisted, his was the final blow to defeat the super-villain.

While it's not definitely stated in any true GA stories that the red sun was a factor in his powers, E-2 Superman could arguably be retconned into that being so for him based on the above.  The early red sun reference and the relatively high power levels (that really couldn't be purely grav-based) are consistent with this.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L