superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:48:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pre-Crisis DC Multiverse as i imagine it.  (Read 29268 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2005, 09:21:27 PM »

Your Multiverse is getting kind of complex, perhaps what you need is some kind of crossover where most of these Earths die and everyone is killed and replace with Marvel like versions that don't make as much money and only appeal to older readers thus ruining your future readership and therefore forcing you to make lame movie deals that cost you money to get by, then about 20 years from now you can do yet another crossover which try to brings things back but not really then follow that up with say a weekly 52 issue mini that people need to get in order to understand what the heck they just read.

Now that I think about it, that's a stupid idea, so never mind.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2005, 09:30:56 PM »

Dangit, Super Monkey!  That was cruel, vicious, underhanded ... and completely on the mark!

I always did think Beppo should be smarter than Krypto anywho. heh heh

Hey, did anyone mention all those Earth-1 divergent timelines from LSH Vol 2 #300 where Douglas Nolan's mutant brain, whose power could transmute his body to a near-indestructible form of iron, cast its power instead into peering into the alternate timelines?  When he finally found a world where he could be happy, one where he replaced his dead brother in the Legion, his mind transported himself bodily from his old timeline to his preferred one.

According to LSH #300, the E-1 universe arguably has its own divergent timelines associated with it.

Also, according to Superman Vol 1 #295, Kamandi's timeline is an equally legitimate future as the Legion's timeline.

http://superman.nu/tales3/costumecostume/?page=17

Let's not forget the alternate 30th century of Barry/Flash which clearly is neither the Legion's nor OMAC's/Kamandi's.  Hal/GL's future timelines seem to be divergent from those mentioned above as well.

IIRC, Schwartz had stated back then that the different methods of time travel resulted in the heroes ending up in different alternate futures as noted above.

It might not be worth cataloguing them since they're quite literally infinite in number.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2005, 10:20:17 PM »

Super Monkey;  your post illustrates one of the reasons why Crisis was a mistake.  There are many reasons why a multiverse is better for DC than just one single universe.  Here are some:

1.)   DC can have many, many, many superheroes, without any of them being just another "face" in a big crowd.  

2.)   DC can have earth-shaking events in one title without needing to account for them in all of their titles.

3.)   Reboots/revamps/retcons are easier.  Hawkworld & Man of steel (mini-series) would have worked better if they were set on newly created parallel earths.  

4.)   Crossovers make more sense.  If DC "played its cards right" Tv shows & movies based on DC characters would serve as ads drawing more people to DC's titles.  

Captain Kal;   it's not just Earth-1 that has alternate timelines.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2005, 03:28:38 AM »

Agreed, of course, LLozymandias.

My objective in the previous post was two-fold.

First, I was saying that some so-called separate Earths mentioned earlier on this thread are actually variants on Earth-1 itself.

Second, while it's true that every variant has its own infinity of variants, which have their own variants, etc., Earth-1 -- by virtue of having been the mainstream DC Earth for so long -- has the most documented versions and alternatives in the books.

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2005, 03:16:48 AM »

Actually all parallel earths can be seen as variants of each other.

Some more strands i would add to the DC/Marvel Multiverse:

1.)  DR Who

2.)  ABC;  Tom Strong & co..

3.)  Disney;  Scroodge Mcduck & the other Disney characters.

Basically if i owned DC & had at least nigh-infinite wealth (one of my favorite fantasies, btw) the DC (or DC/Marvel) Multiverse would be treated as being truly infinite.  And all the entertainment properties i would acquire would be constantly added in as new universes/strands of that multiverse.

P.S.  Super Monkey feel free to move this thread to the Crisis forum if you wish.  I think it would fit better there.

Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2005, 06:29:18 AM »

Ya know, I was wondering where and how our old friends Mighty Mouse and Underdog would fit in all of this?  Wink  

Underdog is much more closely "related" to Superman than Mighty, of course, what with his secret identity as mild-mannered (or, if you'd rather, "humble and lovable") Shoeshine Boy.  Cheesy  

Then, there's also Strong Man, who's clearly a knock-off of Superman from The Mighty Heroes, but he's already been established as being from Mighty Mouse's "Earth", so who knows?  Wink  

Man, I gotta quit this now.  My head's starting to spin with all of these possiblities!  Wink

llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2005, 02:20:10 PM »

Gernot;  of course the earths/universes of Underdog & Mighty Mouse are in the DC Multiverse.  In my fantasy scenario anyway. :lol:  :wink:  :lol:  In a multiverse that is anywhere near infinite, there would be room for everything.  Trillions of universes would not even amount to 1% of a truly infinite multiverse. :twisted:  :lol:  :wink:

Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2005, 04:06:28 PM »

Just like Marvel cannot make a character live the Living Tribunal have jurisdiction over the DCU due to legal licensing issues, DC cannot properly contain any non-DC properties in their multiverse(s).

But I do believe Hanna Barbara characters are now owned by Warner and are fair game for DC adventures and multiverses.

Are Mighty Mouse and Underdog Hanna Barbara characters?

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L