superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:21:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pre-Crisis DC Multiverse as i imagine it.  (Read 29258 times)
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005, 01:46:17 AM »

Since a multiverse is infinite, a tiny portion could include billions (or even trillions) of universes.  One way of cataloging/listing the earths of a multiverse, would be to divide that multiverse into sectors/segments/strands.  I prefer strands.  If i owned DC (one of my favorite fantasies, btw :lol:  :twisted: ) the setup would be an infinite DC Multiverse.  The strands of which would include:

1.)  Pre-Crisis DC;  as i have described it in this thread.

2.)  Crisis DC;  DC's setup from the late70s/early 80s untill Crisis #10.

3.)  Post-Crisis DC;  since a strand of universes can include billions (or trillions) of universes there is room enough here for all the DCUs & Elsewords DC has used.  Starting with the one first seen in #11 of Crisis.  Tangent can be included as one of the universes here.

4.)  Crossover DC/Marvel;  The same-earth DC/Marvel crossovers.   Amalgam can be part of this strand.

5.)  Wildstorm

6.)  Star Trek;  if i owned DC & money were no object, i would buy Star Trek.  And put it into DC's multiverse.

7.)  Image;  i would also buy out Image.

8.)  Marvel;  another thing i would buy.

And over time other strands would be added to the DC Multiverse.   Or DC/Marvel Multiverse if Marvel is part of it.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2005, 02:00:43 AM »

The thing most folks and even scientists ignore about the QM equations is that they're time symmetric.  Not only are the universes splitting into the future, but they do so into the past as well.  IOW, from our POV, they also are capable of merging.

That was the beauty and singular claim to fame for Hypertime: Hypertimelines could merge and were the only truly consistent take on QM multiple universes in all fiction -- SF, comics, or otherwise.

Scripting universes diverging from a nexus event into the future is easy and relatively commonplace these days.

Scripting similar universes merging into a common universe in the present is an incredibly daring concept that was only hinted at in The Kingdom.  Nowhere else has this been tried, nor has it seen even a hint of its story potential.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2005, 09:32:43 AM »

Quote from: "llozymandias"
Maximara;  i also said that dimensional & temporal multiverses are simply different facets of a true multiverse in its entirety.  Iow  Earth-1 (for example) is both a parallel universe & a divergent timeline.  It's a parallel universe in relation to Earths 2, 3, 12, S, X, Prime, etc..  It's a divergent timeline in relation to the earths of;  Kamandi, Tommy Tomorrow, the Legion of Super-Heroes,  Abra-Kadabra, Reverse-Flash, etc..  As for OA existing only in the Earth-1 universe, i tend to discount/ignore that.  The only place that was claimed was in Crisis.  According to current theory to travel between divergent timelines you would need to travel through hilbert space.  A nigh-infinite dimensional space that contains/separates divergent timelines.  Sounds like Hypertime, as described by DC.  With some differences, of course.  The limbo-like dimension that exists between the universes of the Pre-Crisis DC Multiverse seems more like the higher-dimensional space talked about by m-theory.

The RPG suppliment GUPRS Infinate Worlds is a good source book to help get a handle on all this. It breaks the multiverse down into several distinct catagories:

1) Echo: Effectively your world earlier in time.

2) Close parallels: very similar to your own timeline though there are differences. Earth-B and Earth-E were close parallels to Earth-1.

3) Further parallels: major differences in history. DC's Earth-S and Earth-X were further parallels.

4) High inertia parallel: despite changes in history the world still resembles your own reality. Earth-2 and the unnamed Earth in 'Superman, you're dead, dead, dead!' were High inertia parallels.

5) Myth parallels: a reality where fictional characters or beings realy exist. Earth-2 was a 'myth parallel' to Earth-1.

Some other relevent ideas form GURPS IW:

Reality Shard:Items of great power that can distort the very fabric of reality around them. The Spear of Destiny was a reality shard.

Reality Quake: a mammoth upheaval in the very nature of reality even ltering history itself. One of the earliest modern stories was Sideways in time written by Murray Leinster in the 1930's.
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2005, 12:33:44 AM »

Earth-3 is the very definition of "high inertia parallel".  To the inhabitants of Earth-Prime all the parallel earths they are aware of are "myth parallels".  Echo, now why didn't i think to call it that?  I imagine such a universe to be identical to ours except for the speed/rate of time flow.  Time there could be "slower" by an infinitesmal fraction of a second.  over several billion years that would result in a universe that is days, years, decades, centuries, or even millenia "behind" us.  Echo is a good name for that.   If i could travel to such earths it would be interesting.   Given the fact that people from Earth-Prime have the ability to influence reality in other universes, maybe Earth-Prime (or its universe) is a reality shard.

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2005, 01:03:19 AM »

The only drawback to these universes is the feeling that Superman is not from Earth, and that sometimes makes me sad, it takes him from the little kids and their imagination and thrusts him into the fanboy realm of kids that never grew up...
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2005, 01:32:01 AM »

Everyone knows Superman isn't from earth. :wink:   How does that take him from little kids & their imaginations? :lol:  The thought that the fiction i read could be reality in some universe/multiverse somewhere in the omniverse makes it more fun to read.  Well it does for me anyway. :twisted:  :lol:  :wink:

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2005, 01:59:00 AM »

Well, its kind of like Santa, I suppose, kids read and looked up to Supes like he "could have" been been real, even knowing in the back of their mind that he wasn't...did we need an Earth Prime to take that away, especially since that turned out to be another "unreal" Earth?

Nah, its fine, I am just mostly thinking of the comics transitions in the last 50 years... Cool
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2005, 09:13:26 PM »

Some other strands i would add to the DC Multiverse would include:

1.)  Sliders.

2.)  Doorways.

3.)  Stargate.

Of course if i owned DC, the DC/Marvel Multiverse would have many many strands.  Multiverses by definition are meant to be infinite.  Anything less is unacceptable. :roll:  :lol:  :cry:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L