superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:47:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pre-Crisis DC Multiverse as i imagine it.  (Read 29322 times)
AerobicsInstructor
Superman's Pal

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2005, 03:41:24 PM »

Thank you very much by all the report that you have given this us detailed Very Well.  Also I would like to know who was the creator of the series Liga of Justice and since I can make to have all the chapters.  

Atte.

Martín Tapia

martin_tapia1@yahoo.com.ar
Teléfono: 9902-1400

llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2005, 10:29:44 PM »

This thread highlights why i believe DC made one of the biggest mistakes in history by getting rid of its multiverse.  DC's rationale at the time was very insulting & condescending, that their multiverse & continuity were too "confusing" for new & casual readers to ever understand.  I.e. DC was saying that new & casual readers were too stupid to figure things out.  In "millenium" Mark Waid admitted that DC's real reason was to make crossovers easier to do.  Good crossovers can be fun.  To have all of DC's characters (including characters from: Fawcett, Quality, Charlton) all on one earth makes things overcrowded.  Hundreds or thousands of super-heroes on one earth makes most of them generic.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2005, 05:47:41 PM »

I have often seen the current DC earth referred to as Earth-0.  I sometimes like that idea.  I imagine the Pre-Crisis DC Multiverse as having been last seen (in our earth's DC Comics titles) sometime in the early 1980s.  I sometimes imagine the DCUs we have seen since then as being alternate timelines of Earth-0(Zero)'s temporal multiverse.  The "multiverse" was implied (during Crisis) to have 1,005-3,005 universes.  It was claimed that Krona's experiment unleashed forces that caused the "Earth-1" universe to be duplicated several hundred (or thousand) times.  According to current theory the splitting/branching/diverging of universes/timelines in a temporal multiverse is a natural ongoing process.  What if those forces (or whatever was triggered/unleashed by Krona's experiment) manipulated the natural divergence process for a fraction of a second.  It prevents OA from being "duplicated" in the timelines/universes created in that fraction of a second.  And it "links/binds" those timelines/universes making them seem like a small dimensional multiverse of their own.  It also causes those timelines/universes to develope into almost perfect copies of some of the Pre-Crisis universes.  When the Anti-Monitor (& the heroes) faught at the "dawn of time" they caused/inspired those forces to create yet more timelines/universes.  Those being the Post-Crisis DCUs.

llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2005, 08:21:30 PM »

To simplify my previous post.  I sometimes imagine Earth-0/Zero (the current DCU) as another parallel universe in the DC Multiverse.  I also sometimes imagine all the DCUs seen since the early 80s as alternate/divergent timelines/universes of Earth-0/Zero's temporal multiverse. :wink:  :lol:

Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2005, 11:03:32 PM »

John, wasn't Oa duplicated at least ONCE?  I thought that Legends Of The DC Universe (Annual?) that it had an Oa, too.  I think it was called Earth-4, and was destroyed between Crisis 4 and Crisis 5 (hence its nickname Crisis 4.5).  

Didn't that Green Lantern (for his brief career) get his ring from The Guardians?  

Gernot...

dto
Action Ace

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2005, 08:02:24 AM »

Gernot, you're thinking of "Earth-D", from "Legends of the DC Universe: Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Untold Story" (February 1999).  See this annotated summary:

http://www.io.com/~woodward/chroma/cr4_5.html

Captain Jose Hernandez (formerly of the Brazilian Air Force) was the Green Lantern of Sector 5134 (Earth-1 was in Sector 2814) for only a few brief hours before he was slain by a shadow demon and Earth-D died.  Yet he had some of the best lines --  questioning Firestorm over the naming of Earth-1 ("Somewhat egotistical, isn't it?"  Firestorm's response:  "Don't blame me -- I didn't name it!"), and a sobering realization:

"I'm the new Green Lantern!

"My first mission is to save the universe from destruction.

"What will the Guardians expect for an ENCORE?"   :shock:

Sadly, Capt. Hernandez never had a chance for that "encore", and he didn't save the Earth-D universe.  But his dying act saved Supergirl, who would later destroy the Anti-Monitor's machines that were merging the five remaining Earths.  Without Kara, Superman might well have been killed by the Anti-Monitor and the last Earths destroyed, so in a sense the Green Lantern of Earth-D DID fulfill his mission, though not in a way he (or Earth-D) would have preferred...

DTO
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2005, 04:34:17 PM »

Gernot; the Earth-4 introduced in Crisis was home to the Charlton characters.  It could be that the Monitor lied about there being only one OA in the Crisis Multiverse.  Or some of the Guardians left OA & moved to the Earth-D universe.  They simply named their new home OA in honor of their old home.  

Thinking about my previous two posts a little further, i see how flawed my idea there is.  However Earth-O/Zero (or whatever name it finally gets) as a universe in the Pre-Crisis DC Multiverse is workable.  Each parallel universe in a dimensional multiverse is also a divergent timeline of a temporal multiverse.  And each divergent timeline in a temporal multiverse is also a parallel universe in a dimensional multiverse.  If all the DCUs seen since the early 1980s are divergent timelines of the current Earth-DC (or Earth-Zero), they are timelines that diverged about 10 billion or so years ago.  The Crisis Multiverse would be a dimensional multiverse that intersects with one of those timelines.  The Earth-1 of the Crisis Multiverse is a divergent timeline of the Earth-DC of the current DCU.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L