superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:20:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman! - All-Star Superman #1  (Read 49034 times)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2005, 06:12:30 PM »

Well see, that would seem to assume that Ed is actually trying to do what those guys do which is a closer to photo-real version of it which Ed doesn't do nor does he make any pretentions at doing. As Ed himself has often said "./he's a larger than life character so that's how I draw him". Ed is a cartoonist.

That also fits in with one of his biggest influences which is an artist named Bengis who did design work for Capcom on various games, only I find Eds stuff more balanced and reigned in.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2005, 06:12:58 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
... missed Steve Lombard and how did that rocket get on Lois' desk that looked suspiciously like Baby Kal's old skool design? :wink:

Klar, check out the panel right before the rocket-on-the-desk panel for answers to both your questions.  You must not have noticed Steve with his 1990's "Death of Superman" mullet.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
The Spider
Supermen of America

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2005, 06:13:58 PM »

Personally, I like McGuinness' art.

But I don't think his art would've had the subtlety and relaxed feeling (which I think is important because of Morrison's using the idea of Superman being relaxed) that Quitely brought to the book.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2005, 06:54:27 PM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
Well see, that would seem to assume that Ed is actually trying to do what those guys do which is a closer to photo-real version of it which Ed doesn't do nor does he make any pretentions at doing. As Ed himself has often said "./he's a larger than life character so that's how I draw him". Ed is a cartoonist.

That also fits in with one of his biggest influences which is an artist named Bengis who did design work for Capcom on various games, only I find Eds stuff more balanced and reigned in.

But, he's suppose to be Superman, Superman has a set body type. Curt Swan, Neal Adams, even John what's his face drew him with this body type. To draw him like the Hulk is just as inane as drawing Bugs Bunny with Hulk Muscles. Every artist who draws comics is a cartoonist, that's what cartoonist means.

Capcom always had great artists working for them, all better than Ed, IMHO.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2005, 07:22:26 PM »

Just did the more careful read (more a look see) but ah........Smiley

And Rao, the last time I saw Steve Lombard he looked like Joe Namath - wait - THAT was HERE! :wink:

When is Number 2 due???
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2005, 07:28:07 PM »

Superman doesn't have a set bodytype, other than he is ideally a physically powerful and handsome looking man with an obvious nobility to him. Which is where Quietly fails in my view. I can agreee at least in the sense that some bodytypes work better for him than others. The body type that Sigel and Shuster used is not the same as Wayne Boring and Swan started with something more akin to Wayne Boring went on to slim him up a bit. Geroge Reeves didn't have the same body type as Christopher Reeve. The Fleisher toon body type is different from STAS.

Oh, come on with the Hulk stuff. Dude, Ed's Superman doesn't look like the Hulk. His Parasite is prolly closer to how he'd approach the Hulk. Just to use the Capcom games as an example, Ed gives Superman a kind of Guile bodytype wheras Eds Hulk would prolly be more like Zangeif or Blanka.

On another note, it was intresting to see Steve Lombard there. I like that his design this time is less Flash Thompson The Later Years than his previous incarnation.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2005, 07:45:06 PM »

Bad news.

All-Star Superman #2 was to have a release date of December 21st, but upon looking on the DC Comics website, I've noticed that they removed it off the Dec. schedule and is now listed as January 18th. And #3 & #4 haven't even been solicited yet for Jan or Feb.
Either way, if you haven't seen it yet, here's the cover to All-Star Superman #2 to whet your appettites...

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/cm_popup.php?i=4562
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2005, 10:43:04 PM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
Oh, come on with the Hulk stuff. Dude, Ed's Superman doesn't look like the Hulk. His Parasite is prolly closer to how he'd approach the Hulk. Just to use the Capcom games as an example, Ed gives Superman a kind of Guile bodytype wheras Eds Hulk would prolly be more like Zangeif or Blanka.

I don't want to keep this thread focusing on poor Ed, so I will try to end it here. Let's see if you are right ..

I present to you The Hulk:

http://www.samruby.com/Heroes/Hulk/Hulk.gif

Ok people, who's body type looks more like him:

Ed McGuinness's Superman
http://superman.nu/superman-comics/covers/sup-166-big.jpg

or Capcom's Guile:
http://yorkdale.net/edvance/student_work/art/ssf2tguilepencils.jpg

Now Does Ed's Superman look more like the Giule or Zangief:

Capcom's Zangief:

http://www.catsuka.com/interf/icons/maggiorip_sf2zangief.gif

More Ed McGuinness to compare:

http://captain.custard.org/league/graphics/characters/bizarro.jpg

Now let's please get back to all-star Superman...

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L