superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSupermanicaHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:35:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman! - All-Star Superman #1  (Read 49075 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2005, 10:45:02 PM »

Ok
AS_S2 Cover.

Is that a raygun in Lois' hand or is she just glad to see him?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2005, 10:58:01 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Ok
AS_S2 Cover.

Is that a raygun in Lois' hand or is she just glad to see him?

OMG, a Superman who is smart enough to be working on something complex and Lois with a Raygun, perhaps Rao should have a nice detailed section of this site for All-Star Superman. Someone at another board said something to the effect that this was the best Superman Series being publish by DC and the only Superman series being publish by DC, he was right.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2005, 01:22:45 AM »

Dig the glowing green K tip and the colors on the gun Smiley
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2005, 01:05:42 PM »

Quietly does a cute Lois I'll admit. But I like her better with black hair instead of brown. ..and hey a ray-gun! Awesome!

Not sure where Grant is going with the story but I'll be intrested to find out. The cliffhanger of issue 1, it was intresting but I was kind of hoping we'd see some of the classic scenario before going there yet.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Continental Op
Superman Family

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2005, 05:07:46 PM »

I can see this will not be a very popular opinion here, but I found the first issue to be a little underwhelming.

I know that nothing could really live up to all the pre-release hype of this series, so I was prepared for that. It wasn’t that I thought it was BAD, either; it’s just that I found so many of Morrison’s writing choices and Quitely’s artistic choices to be too obscure or inappropriate for what the series is supposedly trying to do.

Quitely is a fantastic artist of his kind, I just have a hard time warming up to him as a “dynamic superhero action” artist. That’s not really his style despite his “widescreen” layouts. The closest he comes in that genre was the JLA: EARTH-2 graphic novel, which I did like. But his art style is in a more European comics vein that I don’t think translates as well to the straightforward  superhero stuff.

Plus, his anatomy doesn’t appeal so much to my eye, which has been “trained” to accept the 1970s Curt Swan/ Neal Adams model as definitive. That’s not his fault, I guess; it’s mine. As Super Monkey pointed out, the art is all subjective.

The ALL-STAR series was described as using a “classic vision” of Superman calculated to have the maximum appeal to everyone who might be enticed to pick up and read a Superman comic. I don’t know that is what they have achieved here. As I said , many of their stylistic choices seemed too obscure or inappropriate to appeal to a general audience.

It may be my own faults as a reader (although I like to think I can read a comic better than the average “outsider” that ALL-STAR is supposed to attract). But too often I found myself asking “why?” when reading this comic.

<SPOILERS AHEAD>

Why does Lois Lane wear a skirt so short that Britney Spears wouldn’t be seen in it?

Why is Metropolis the kind of unrelatable futuristic neo-city where Jimmy Olsen commutes to work with a JET-PACK and floating anti-gravity BUSES roam nearly deserted streets? (This kind of Metropolis is one of the things I hated most about the Cartoon Network version and the post-2000 Superman comics… despite being a fantasy figure, Superman should live in something closer to the real world!)

Why is Superman’s neck as wide as Lois Lane’s waist? Why does one panel show his body with a torso a third the length of his legs?

Why do ALL African-American males in this world have shaved heads? Why does the guy cleaning up Luthor’s office at the end look EXACTLY like the adult version of the little kid with the dog? Has Quitley only ever seen one black guy?

Why does Lois have brown hair and Perry White have black hair instead of vice versa? Why does Jimmy have that weird tall, spiky hairstyle?

Why is Steve Lombard working at the Daily Planet? In the old days, he was a sportsCASTER, never a writer, and he had no actual talents outside of playing football, engaging in sexual harassment and partying.

It was convenient that the Doctor Whowilly Wonka billionaire guy had a tiny little piledriver capable of exerting 200 quintillion tons worth of force, but WHY would he have such a thing available, and WHAT could he have previously needed it for? Superman has his flying power to keep from being simply driven through the floor by that much pressure, but anything else WOULD be, no?

Why would a U.S. army general, who must have more combat experience than you can shake a stick at, stand there lazily and allow Luthor to choke him?

Why are Willy Wonka… I mean Quintus… and his DNA Chocolate Factory using Solomon Grundy and Bizarro as models for their bio-engineered Oompa Loompas, when such creatures have a history of going on the rampage?

WHY wouldn’t a better chosen “All-Star Superman” team be, oh, perhaps Elliot S! Maggin and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to tear the whole story down with my little nitpicks, even though I probably sound as if I am. I understand that Morrison’s heart is in the right place and I understand what it is that he is tryng to achieve here. Morrison wants to restore some of the reader’s sense of  wonder, the rapid introduction of countless pulp science fiction concepts, the coolness factor of an imaginatively limitless Super-mythos,… the kind of stuff that is often mischaracterized and attacked as “Silver Age goofiness”. I’m just not wild about how he’s going about it.

And there WAS a great deal I liked about ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, too. From what little I had to go on in this story, I thought that Morrison’s take on the personalities of Clark and Superman were perfect. He’s the first Superman writer in many years who really seems to get it. His Superman is CONFIDENT. He isn’t an insecure mess who needs Lois or Batman to issue instructions on every problem.

Confidence, minus arrogance, plus a way of just OOZING benevolence, WITHOUT being a naďve man-child, IS Superman to me. Morrison nailed it precisely.

Best of all, Morrison chose a (sort of) endearing clumsiness, instead of an annoying cowardice, to make the Clark personality an effective disguise.

Morrison really does seem to be steeped in Superman’s rich history and is mining it for inspiration without engaging in pointless rewrites of what was done better by others. I couldn’t help but think that some of the dialogue sounded as if it WAS straight out of Kirby’s DNA Project stories (“She’s one of our SENSITIVES—genetically attuned to ALL life!”). Quintis vowing to continue Superman’s legacy brought to mind an old Leo Dorfman story of the 70s, where scientists of the future kept cloning new replacement Supermen as each one died in action. Luthor’s water rights scheme was a tribute to Gene Hackman’s real estate swindler in the SUPERMAN movie. And his fake reformation plot was no doubt inspired by Jerry Siegel’s original “Death of Superman” imaginary tale.

So you see my feelings are somewhat mixed. Maybe they will change as the next issues gradually come out and I get more used to the Morrison / Quitley approach. Right now I give an A-minus for effort and a B-minus for execution. That is not meant to take anything away from anyone else’s enjoyment of the series. I am glad new Superman material, here and in INFINITE CRISIS, is finally generating some excitement.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2005, 09:51:09 PM »

Get your sweet AS-S Desktop Wallpaper right here:

http://dccomics.com/downloads/#desktop_patterns

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2005, 09:53:22 PM »

Despite my short finances and formerly 'adamant' stance not be sucked into buying yet another title, the extremely positive reviews convinced me to buy #1.

I was not disapointed.  I'm delighted with most of this book.  The art isn't all that bad and is a heckuva lot better than if they'd chosen Meglia or McGuinness.  Neither of those could have pulled this one off.

For the record, while I don't like McGuinness' art myself, and he himself calls himself a cartoonist, -- which goes splendidly with his cartoony art style -- Ed's style is appropriate for some kinds of Superman stories.  But I'd limit those to the goofy, silly ones and not the ones trying to tell a serious tale.  Can you imagine Ed screwing-up the Death of Superman by Doomsday or mangling Kingdom Come?  No way would those stories be taken seriously with McGuinness' art behind them.

My big dislike is the idea that Superman can be overloaded with solar power so he's dying from it.  But given how the rest of the book works so well, I can let that one go.  And those scientists could be wrong anyway as maybe Superman's body will have a belated adaptation to this new state of affairs.  C'mon, guys!  If this Superman becomes wildly popular, then no way is DC going to kill him off -- for good, that is.  One way or another, this Man of Steel is going to stay.

But that solar overload is a telling difference that confirms, amongst other things, that this isn't the mainstream Superman.  The current guy could take steam baths in the solar core without overloading like that.

FYI, a guy who can press 200 quintillion tons with one hand is wielding power on the order of 1% of the sun's power.  He's able to lift 2.7 x the weight of the Moon with one hand and 5.4 x that weight with both hands.  If they're claiming this is at least triple his old strength, then this Superman's normal strength levels could lift 1.8 x the Moon.

As for how that lab could withstand that tremendous weight machine?  They were working on genetically enhanced superhumans which obviously included superstrong types.  It would make sense that the lab had that facility for testing out their prototypes and either had suitable structural reinforcement for this purpose or they borrowed from the same principles behind those powers like Superman's to enhance that flooring.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
The Spider
Supermen of America

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2005, 11:05:03 PM »

Mario Di Giacomo put up annotations for All-Star Superman at http://www.barbelith.com/faq/index.php/All-Star_Superman_1
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L