superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:50:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman! - All-Star Superman #1  (Read 49083 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 11:07:45 PM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
Quote from: "Kuuga"
Why the hell is it so hard for them to match up a good writer with a good artist?

Brother, that's the billion dollar question!

I actualy like Quitely's artwork on All-Star Superman a lot.  But even if I didn't - even if I hated it - I'd still think that it's light-years better than any of the artwork on the other Superman titles!

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 11:07:52 PM »

He was hand picked by Grant Morrison as the perfect artist for this series. Art is very objective, what is bad art to you is great art to someone else, and guess what? You would both be right.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
lonewolf23k
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 11:10:11 PM »

Why the hell is it so hard for them to match up a good writer with a good artist? I mean what the heck are the editors doing all day besides throwing darts at their handy-dandy character deathlist?

I know that both Yu and Quietly were hand picked by the writers themselves but those guys can't be the only aritsts out there those writers want to work with.

I would've gone with Matt Wagner, myself..  The man has drawn the best Superman I've seen in recent years...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 03:39:02 AM »

Bought it. Liked it for the most part but read it in like all of 10 minutes.
I think I liked the cover the best.  Not reading "NEW" Superman titles so have no idea whats going on than other what I read HERE and there...

but other than the fact that it cvoulda been a 12 page or 8 pager in the old days.. it did have an epic feel to it and it's certainly not the first time Superman's had an impending death to deal with.

Jury still out with me but will buy Number 2. And reread this.

Had a littlle trouble following some of the new characters and missed Steve Lombard and how did that rocket get on Lois' desk that looked suspiciously like Baby Kal's old skool design? :wink:
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 04:09:40 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
Quote from: "TELLE"
Why the hell is it so hard for them to match up a good writer with a good artist?

Brother, that's the billion dollar question!

I actualy like Quitely's artwork on All-Star Superman a lot.  S!

I actually was referring to Kuuga's general question about the bad taste evident in DC editorial.  Most of the art for DC's books that I've seen over the last 20 years is horrible, with few exceptions.  Quitely ranges from tolerable to workmanlike to inspired to downright beautiful, from what I've seen.  Haven't read All-Star yet so I'm reserving judgement.  And I never could stand Matt Wagner.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 04:52:16 AM »

I think Wagner could've been a good choice. Before Trinity I never would've believed the guy who did Grendel could do Superman but I'll be damned, he get's it.

Honestly, I think McGuiness could've really shined on this one to.

King Krypton brings up a good point about a classical styled artist. Maybe they should've snagged Garcia Lopez for *this* instead of letting Klaus Janson scratch-up is work for JLA.

I'll also put in a vote for Alan Davis.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 05:26:28 AM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Bought it. Liked it for the most part but read it in like all of 10 minutes.
Jury still out with me but will buy Number 2. And reread this.

You should re-read it again, and this time pay close attention to the artwork, there are tons of little details and plot points happening all over the place, judging by other threads at other boards lots of people missed a whole lot of stuff, since they just read the words and glance at the art.

Honestly, I think McGuiness could've really shined on this one to.

Honestly I think he is a bad artist, period. The only reason fanboys like him is because when there were in Jr High they too drew everyone with super big muscles, but most people get over that phase and move on to create better art, while he never did. He should just jump to Marvel and draw the hulk and get it over with. Nothing wrong with super big muscles if it fits character (see:hulk) but why draw everyone with the same steroid man look? Why draw everyone's face the same so that you can't tell who the heck is who without going by their costumes?

To me he is part of the new age drug addict artists, he draws everyone like they abuse steroids and Michael Turner draws every female like they are crack-sell-outs. They are both terrible and represent the very worst of mainstream comic book art.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2005, 05:37:50 AM »

Quote from: "lonewolf23k"
I would've gone with Matt Wagner, myself..  The man has drawn the best Superman I've seen in recent years...

His artwork looks too amateurish to me. The guy doesn't have any drawing chops whatsoever. I like brutish, folksy art, but only when it knows what it it and embraces itself and doesn't try to pass itself for anything other than what it is. Matt Wagner's stuff always looks crude and like fan art to me, which is also why many people like him, I suppose, but I don't like artwork that most people can re-create with a little effort and little art skills, unless it is something really inspired.

Here are some of his covers with Superman, remember folks these are COVERS so you know he tried to do his best:

http://www.sequart.com/superman/adventures628.jpg

http://www.dynamicforces.com/images/bmsmwwtrinitycvr.jpg

http://www.dccomics.com/media/covers/3640_180x270.jpg

- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L