superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSUPER FRIENDS DVD!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:19:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman! - All-Star Superman #1  (Read 49073 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2005, 06:28:59 AM »

Beppo, will do.

Cant stand McGuiness' art AT ALL - steroid freaks and inflatable baby dolls. YECCCCCCCCCCCCH to quote Alfred E.
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2005, 06:40:03 AM »

All-Star Superman # 1.

What's not to love?

Here we are treated to a world of Superman set in both reality and super-science. This is a world where the impossible happens, where we have a hero who is larger than life and resolute and a villain who is so intelligent, so evil, so single-mindedly driven that one must wonder if anyone can stop him?
Morrison & Quitely look like they have meshed 40's Fleisher cartoons, Flash Gordon serials, 60's psychedelia and modern science & myth into a bold and gripping adventure story, hellbent on grabbing us by the ears and shouting, "Look, Up In The Sky! He's Back! Superman is back!
What I love about reading Morrison's work is his unbridled imagination, his 'mad ideas' creeping onto every page. From a philanthropist and his helionauts on a quest to 'map the sun', a genetically modified suicide bomb in human form, the DNA P.R.O.J.E.C.T. with its photosynthetic giants, Bizarro worker drones,anaerobic meganthropes and nanonauts, to Jimmy Olsen coming to work at the Daily Planet courtesy of a jet-pack & helmet. Frankly, this is some very cool and amazing stuff going on here and we get to watch it all unfold!
And I think Quitely's art fit's just right with the tone of this book. His Superman is of the Wayne Boring variety (not fat, just pure muscle), very clean and simple. His Lois reminds me of the version from the 40's cartoon and how about that Bio-Bomb creature? That thing would give you nightmares, if you saw it creeping in a dark alley or on your suncraft! Sweet Jeebus!
Anyway, this is a great start to a hopefully stellar series. My only complaints?

1. It was too short!!! I gotta wait a month for # 2 and HOW LONG for # 3?!?
2. The advertisements seemed too omnipresent, which kinda ruined my reading flow.

Otherwise...what's not to love?
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2005, 06:53:26 AM »

I knew that this story would be completely worth the wait. Morrison exceeded my expectations and gave us a Superman that almost anyone can enjoy. He didn't dwell on origins or the past, rather he moves forward and gives us both new ideas and homages to every era of Superman. Whoever follows Morrison will have some big shoes to fill.

I second whoever said to read the story again and see what you missed the first time. I actually overlooked Superman saving the boy from being runover.

Generally, I can tell if a Superman story is truly epic if, in my mind, I say to myself, "Wow. Superman couldn't possibly be that powerful...could he?" The story gets extra points if the writer can make me believe Superman could be that powerful (which this story did). In this story there were two times I thought that: Superman flying across the Sun's surface and Superman resisting that almost immeasurable weight.

As for Quitely, I enjoyed his artwork. It's different but in a good way. I'm usually a fan of the ultra-realistic art of people like Perez and Swan, but sometimes I like something I'm not accustomed to.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2005, 08:39:51 AM »

I was barely aware of this, and probably wouldn't have picked it up if not for this thread -- so thanks, chaps! I loved this. I was a bit afraid that Morrison would start doing one of his postmodern Pirandello numbers on Superman, but fortunately he played it pretty straight, and wrote some very snazzy dialogue to match an intriguing story. (I particularly liked Lois' "He's not my idiot" line.) Morrison actually wrote a nice Superman cameo way back in one of the early issues of Animal Man: "I always liked your costume. The big A." He obviously has a lot of affection for the character.

As for the artwork, I've not really been following comics that closely lately and had never heard of this Quitely guy, and was pleasantly surprised. He seems to stem from a more European ligne claire tradition; it really worked for me, and I was surprised that the powers-that-be okayed it. I've only been skimming through the books on the shelves these past few years, bu it's quite a departure from the look they've been giving Superman lately.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2005, 03:34:26 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Bought it. Liked it for the most part but read it in like all of 10 minutes.
Jury still out with me but will buy Number 2. And reread this.

You should re-read it again, and this time pay close attention to the artwork, there are tons of little details and plot points happening all over the place, judging by other threads at other boards lots of people missed a whole lot of stuff, since they just read the words and glance at the art.

Honestly, I think McGuiness could've really shined on this one to.

Honestly I think he is a bad artist, period. The only reason fanboys like him is because when there were in Jr High they too drew everyone with super big muscles, but most people get over that phase and move on to create better art, while he never did. He should just jump to Marvel and draw the hulk and get it over with. Nothing wrong with super big muscles if it fits character (see:hulk) but why draw everyone with the same steroid man look? Why draw everyone's face the same so that you can't tell who the heck is who without going by their costumes?

To me he is part of the new age drug addict artists, he draws everyone like they abuse steroids and Michael Turner draws every female like they are crack-sell-outs. They are both terrible and represent the very worst of mainstream comic book art.

So much for that art is objective thing eh? "new age drug addict artists" the heck does that even mean? Because he draws guys with big muscles he's taking drug himself at the drawing board? As for your jr. highschool reference that's more Liefeld than McGuiness. Besides, idealized or even exaggeration of the human form to convey a sense of power is part and parcel with superhero art. Some do it better than others.

I agree with you on Turner but I'm not sure why you brought him up since I made no mention of him in the first place. Since we're on the subject of drawing Superman big, I'd rather have Eds look to Quietlys wrinkled doughboy look. I can't speak for why other people or fanboys like Ed but for me his work has a tremendous amount of energy and it's cartoony in a good way.

As much as the guy gets dissed for having "manga" style (which just shows what most american comicbooks fans actually know about manga) he has many classical influences as well not least of which is Jack Kirby. Ed's no King, but his stuff is vibrant and fun which fits Superman far better than what Quietly is doing IMO.

That's not even to say I completely hate Quietly. I liked his layouts ALOT actually. The backgrounds were pretty good to. But his approach to the figures especially Superman himself is just very lacking. He's wrinkly and puffy. I can tell however that he's going for the Wayne Boring vibe but Wayne didn't have Superman belt sagging like he's got a beergut or have his cape look like a thin dinner cloth draped over his shoulders.

I'm sorry but I think Quieltys art does a disservice to what Grant is writing. I'm not even going to say he's neccesarily a bad artist, just wrong for this project like Yu was wrong for Birthright. Yu was another case where the layouts were great but his scratchy and shadow slathered figures ruined much of it.

In Birthright, there are shots where Superman is supposed to be smiling but his eyes are whited out and his gums are black and his smile is Joker-esque. I guess with writers layouts seems to take priority which I totally understand but you can't just dismiss the figure drawing aspect. You can arrange things on the page ever so artfully and tell your story clearly but if the figures look awful it undercuts the whole thing.

This is why in that one post I said "these can't be the only artists out there that they wanted to work with". I think the editor could have accomplished both finding the artist that's right for the project *and* giving Mark or Grant someone they liked working with.

At the end of the day,  this may just be myself and others disagreeing with the writers personal taste in artists. I can also see that if the projects are conceived together *with* that artist in the proposal stage that you wouldn't want to break up a team. It's a tough call.

I won't even say that Quietly should never, ever draw Superman even though his approach aside from his layouts is very off putting to me. I won't say that because I got sick of people saying that about Ed or about anybody who draws with dreaded "cartoony" style. Hey, I don't enjoy every cartoony artist out there. Don't get me started on Meguila.

I just think for this project, it's goals and ultimately who they are trying to reach I feel his figure drawing approach really just does not fit.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2005, 04:43:38 PM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
So much for that art is objective thing eh?

Art is obective, and that was my opinion, I guess if I disgree with someone that means I am not being objective? WTF?

"new age drug addict artists" the heck does that even mean? Because he draws guys with big muscles he's taking drug himself at the drawing board?

I went to defined what I meant by it, in that he draws everyone as if they were drug addicts. In his case steriods.

As for your jr. highschool reference that's more Liefeld than McGuiness.

No, it's both, nearly every comic artist tends to go through the big muscles is better Jr High phase. Some of those guys never stop and go pro, LOL.

Besides, idealized or even exaggeration of the human form to convey a sense of power is part and parcel with superhero art. Some do it better than others.

And he is extremely bad at it. It looks like it does it because he doesn't know how to do anything else. He even draws robots with big steriod muscles and extras in the background, LOL.

Here are some good artists who are really into big muscles, and make everyone look like body builders, note the difference:

http://www.kenkellyart.com
http://www.imaginistix.com

I agree with you on Turner but I'm not sure why you brought him up since I made no mention of him in the first place.

Because he also draws everyone as if they were on drugs, this time with it being crack rather than steriods.

As much as the guy gets dissed for having "manga" style (which just shows what most american comicbooks fans actually know about manga) he has many classical influences as well not least of which is Jack Kirby. Ed's no King, but his stuff is vibrant and fun which fits Superman far better than what Quietly is doing IMO.

His style doesn't look anything like Manga to me. I like some Manga artists (there is no actual manga look unless you don't know much about manga) and I love cartoons, I never mention them as reasons for his artwork being bad. I don't see a hint of Jack Kirby in his artwork. That's really stretching it.

That's not even to say I completely hate Quietly. I liked his layouts ALOT actually. The backgrounds were pretty good to.

That's another thing that Ed is terrible at: layouts and backgrounds.

example: http://superman.nu/tales3/fathers/

I am not the biggest Quietly fan,  but at least I can respect his art since he appears to actual know what he is doing.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2005, 04:49:30 PM »

Ed knows exactly what he is doing. I'm sure Quietly does to. The mans knowledge, even his talent are not my issue. It's his approach.

I don't find Boris or Julie's work very intresting at all. Not bad but not great. But I can get with Ken Kellys stuff. I really like his Masters of the Universe peice.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2005, 05:00:41 PM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
Ed knows exactly what he is doing. I'm sure Quietly does to. The mans knowledge, even his talent are not my issue. It's his approach.

I don't find Boris or Julie's work very intresting at all. Not bad but not great. But I can get with Ken Kellys stuff. I really like his Masters of the Universe peice.

I didn't say I was a fan of their art, only that they were good at doing big muscle art.

If you want great muscle art, then you have to go back to the renaissance Wink
or at least Rodin Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L