superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:43:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman! - All-Star Superman #1  (Read 49076 times)
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2005, 07:14:02 PM »

While this isn't exactly the same, Morrison seems to be borrowing from himself and tweaking it in All-Star Superman #1.  

Also, Morrison plans on bringing in an All-Star version of Solaris at some point.
conkom
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2005, 04:22:31 AM »

It would like to chime in from the point of view of a fan who mostly enjoyed the so called Iron Age of Superman. During this time I have read some of the most compelling stories in my nearly 40 years of reading comics.

I will concede that Superman has been somewhat lacklustre the last few years with some pretty tiresome storylines. For a while it reminded me of the period immediately before 1986 where writers and artists were merely going through the motions and producing some pretty mediocre fare.

All Star has changed that for me. I am actually looking forward to reading Superman again after the disappointment of "For Tomorrow'" and especially "Birthright".

Morrisson and Quitley have produced a Superman for the ages. It has both the wonder and imagination of comics of my childhood and depth, characterisation and intrigue of modern storytelling.

I really do hope that theirs is the template for Superman for this part of the 21st Century!

Con
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2005, 04:25:24 AM »

Con, they done shooting down under yet? :wink:
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2005, 04:47:49 AM »

Quote from: "conkom"
For a while it reminded me of the period immediately before 1986 where writers and artists were merely going through the motions and producing some pretty mediocre fare.

Personally, I think some of the best Superman stories were told in this particular period before the reboot. Cary Bates and Elliot S! Maggin were both at the top of their games here, with one doing humorous and idiosyncratic stories and the other doing brief, plot-centered stories. Curt Swan, when he could get a good inker, was one of the more amazing artists on the stands. Mark Waid put in some amazing Superman backup stories, immediately after which, he decided to never be really excellent again. Marv Wolfman was...well...Wolfman, but even he couldn't sabotage Superman because he was carried on the shoulders of the giants at the Superman office, and Schwartz could say "no" to any bad idea.

Alan Moore's "Whatever Happened..." was an astonishing story. That ACTION COMICS story where he discovered a tenth planet where dinosaurs evolved is one of the most astonishing "Superman in Space" stories ever.

I don't understand why there was this perception that Superman was "getting tired" in the 1980s and so a reboot was inevitable. In fact, if anything, many, many plot threads were around at that point, which unfortunately, remain unaswered:

The Superman/Lana Lang relationship
Brainiac discovering that thing about the start of the universe
Superwoman and her future untold adventures
Lex's rankling for revenge at the destruction of Lexor
The Interstellar Zoo being rebuilt as a shrunken wilderness preserve

Also: welcome to the board!

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2005, 05:11:48 AM »

Also, there has been no speculation as yet as what Superman's "new power" is.

For my money, it's probably THUNDERBALL FISTS!

DR. QUINTUM: "Superman...for success, it's essential you have Thunderball Fists."
    SUPERMAN: (sounding very impressed) "I...I can have such a thing?"
    DR. QUINTUM: "That's right - Thunderball Fists!"[/list]

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
           - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
    conkom
    Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2005, 06:15:06 AM »

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes it is true there were some remarkable stories even at the tail end of the Bronze Age. And I do have some favourites from that period.

What made "Whatever Happened to the Man Of Tomorrow? such a compelling read was because it was the last Silver/Bronze Age story bringing to an end what was nearly 40 years of mythos which started with the 1948 "Origin Of Superman" in Superman #53 (First series). It worked not just because Moore is a master storyteller but because of the emotional impact of it being the end of an era.

But it did take Crisis and Man Of Steel to bring me and many other readers back to the DC Universe and for a time Superman was a good read eg John Byrne's early run prior to the Pocket Universe fiasco, the Exile arc, the Eradicator, Krypton Man, Time and Time Again, Dark Knight over Metropolis, Krisis of the Krimson Kryptonite, the Death of Lex Luthor were some of the best Superman arcs ever.

It really has been in the last few years where everything has been undone in the franchise although there were stories that I did enjoy especially by Mark Shultz, Joe Kelly and Joe Casey.

But as a whole the post-Crisis Superman seemed to be languishing like the late Bronze Age version. And I am sure even in the so-called Iron Age version there a quite a few untied plot threads which some readers would like to have seen resolved once and for all.

All Star is a breath of fresh air in that Morrison is restoring the iconic nature that should be Superman but at the same time giving us a compelling read.

All power to him, as he might be the reason why Superman will survive well into this century!

Shooting down under??

Con
    BMK!
    Superman Family

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2005, 05:21:43 AM »

Also, there has been no speculation as yet as what Superman's "new power" is.

From WIZARD:
    Morrison: This is actually an old power. I hope people notice the nod to the old, short-lived electric Superman. That's what it's referencing. But he gets some more new powers as the series progresses. [Laughs] He'll get as many as I can think of. It depends how many the stories dictate. It has to make sense.
    Klar Ken T5477
    Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2005, 01:15:39 PM »

Con,
    "shooting (SUPERMAN RETURNS") down under in (Australia).
    Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L