superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:36:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes coming to Superman titles in 2006 post IC  (Read 18605 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: November 18, 2005, 05:03:24 PM »

Just follow the link:

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=737856934e91f8a435be51a425ccef65&threadid=49805

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 05:20:17 PM »

While I'm happy the AOS is returning to its original name of Superman, I'm saddened that we're only going to have 2 main superbooks.

OTOH, maybe All-Star Superman is supposed to be that third -- albeit out of continuity -- book, so it balances out to 3 still.

It's a bit mean-spirited of me, but the Dreaded-One-whose-name-is-mentioned-far-too-often-here got the new 'Superman' book as one of his perks when rebooting the character, so it's kind of fitting that that book bites the dust at last.  Yet another remnant of that terrible retcon is gone.

Onwards!

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 05:35:27 PM »

Actually, there is a RUMORED new Superman title that might hit the stands entitled, SUPERMAN CONFIDENTIAL (as well as a Batman Confidential).
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 05:57:36 PM »

Quote from: "BMK!"
Actually, there is a RUMORED new Superman title that might hit the stands entitled, SUPERMAN CONFIDENTIAL (as well as a Batman Confidential).

That's true!

There are some rumors about what those titles will be about, from a family style title (Superman Family, Batman Family) to an anything goes title (Elseworlds the series? Any versions goes Golden, Sliver, Bronze, Post Crisis, Post IC, All-Star, something new, etc).

It should be noted that DC has yet to address what those titles will really be like, and these are just rumors.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 06:36:23 PM »

I think two main Superman books is really all you need because my feeling is the quest should be for quality and not quantity. I'm tired of seeing this cheap flood the market strategy. For the same amount of money that you use to have 5 mediocre books for one character you could make one or two that are really freakin good!

Conceptually it's a good idea but as with many things when DC gets a good idea they'll do 10 other things to screw it up. It'll be especially important to see where the Superman character is at when this goes into effect and how much damage will have been wrought in cheap-heat bloodbath of IC. The sight of E2S on the cover doesn't make any more convinced that they won't villify him.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 07:24:38 PM »

How many Bat Books are there at the moment? Not that I buy any but Id rather see quality not quanity and isnt Supergirl - a Superman family title? Youd think with SR:06 flick coming theyd up the S! marketing.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 11:42:54 PM »

This is amazing and incredible good news.

It was only a short time ago - seems like yesterday - when such things as the return of the Earth-2 Superman and the restoration of the original numbering to the Superman title would have seemed like impossible dreams.  Things that fans yearned for, but that we knew DC would never actually do.

Yet now they are happening.

Thank you DC!

In the interview that Beppo links to, Dan DiDio says something to the effect that one of the two Superman titles (Adventures of Superman or Superman) is being cancelled - he's just not certain which one it is.

I would put it differently.  I'd say that back in 1986, Superman split into two titles - Adventures of Superman and a new Superman.  Now those two titles are re-merging back into one.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 04:28:21 AM »

I agree. And more: seem like yesterday that DC anounced they wold never allow Mark Waid and Grant Morrison to work on a Superman revamp. Now we have Birthright and All Star Superman, titles that bring back the gratness of Elliot S! Maggin and the REAL Superman. As a child, I was a fan of Superman from the movies and cartoons, but started collecting after the Crisis. Thanks to this site, I've discovered the beautiful work of Maggin, and ordered his books from Amazon.

Thanks to this site, I really understood what Superman is really about. Byrne's version may work for some people, it worked for me back in the day, but it's not the Superman I'm interested in. I even think Jurgens, Kesel and Stern did a good job with that foundation but still, it was just an average hero - not the greatest of them all. Loeb, Kelly, and most importaintly, Waid and Morrison bring the real Superman back. And I think history wold be different if not for Superman Through the Ages - at last for me.

So thank you, Great Rao.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L