superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:43:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes coming to Superman titles in 2006 post IC  (Read 18868 times)
AerobicsInstructor
Superman's Pal

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 09:41:40 PM »

Many Thanks:

You are very kind and since already I want to thank yourself and alone I expect that we can come we be very good friends.  I love Súperman and I see all the series that there are in the Television and also in the Movies.  

With a lot of Appreciation:

Martín Tapia

martin_tapia1@yahoo.com.ar
Teléfono: 9902-1400

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2005, 03:51:19 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
This gladdens my heart. Watching a piece of comics history be restored in a small way, like the numbering on SUPERMAN, is a step in the right direction. Appreciation for the past uplifts us all, whether it be in small, trivial ways like restoring the numbering on a classic comic like SUPERMAN, or in larger ways like restoring old buildings. Numbering may be a very little thing, but it's a step in the right direction for the Superman titles. Didio may not know from shinola when it comes to television, but an old fanboy like him is the best sort of person to run a comic book company.

Julian, are you being sarcastic?  DC Comics is being run very badly from a quality perspective as well as a brand strength/building perspective.  It seems to me a case of fiddling while Rome burns: monkeying with things like the comic book numbering system while ignoring issues like distribution, new readers, quality control, the visuals/look of the product, etc etc.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Dylan Clearbrook
Supergirl Fan
Superman Family

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 12:25:15 PM »

Quote from: "TELLE"

seems to me a case of fiddling while Rome burns: monkeying with things like the comic book numbering system while ignoring issues like distribution, new readers, quality control, the visuals/look of the product, etc etc.

I am sure that is on the list Smiley

Dido said:
Quote from: "DD"
We’re turning the heat up even more, focusing back on the characters and the series, and really make everyone understand why DC has the must-read comics right now.

For me, personally, everything we’re doing here is to make every one of our characters interesting and compelling. It’s not just about finding a new take or new direction, but also about finding the best people possible to find that vision. We’ve been very lucky, and I can’t put enough emphasis on the editorial staff here to make sure the best people possible are coming in to work on our books both for “One Year Later…” and beyond.

That seems to say to me that they know there are problems and they are working on them.  From THEIR stand point....they just can't come out and say "Okay, we got crap for a product...but stick around anyway okay?"  Publically, they have to put a positive spin on things.

The numbering?  That isn't a real issue and is probably mainly a ploy to try and snag the Pre-COIE fans that still hang around...but don't spend thier money like DC would like them to.

Personally, I am just relieved to see that Supergirl is not on the cancel list Smiley   The only book that I am buying right now...and only because it is Kara Zor-El.

Dylan

Freedom is never free.  It must be bought and paid for...no matter the cost!

Supergirl's Wallpaper Annex: http://supergirl.the-imperium.com
The Continuum Worlds Fan-Fiction http://www.continuumworlds.org
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2005, 10:53:56 PM »

Hi all,

I'd sure buy over some "new" Superman comics if the the art and the tone of the stories came back to the 60s, 70s or even pre-crisis 80s.  I don't have a problem with DC mimicking real life a little more than they did in the 60s and less than they did in the 40s.  Sometimes comic book character dying or having an arc story can be good.  
However, changing things in every comics and having to buy four title for one story; almost every panel drawn by a different artist...leaves to be desired...
DC is a prestige house.  They've done the best and what has been done can be done again...  Give me a story or two per comic with the words "the end" at the end and already we'll be heading somewhere.  Changing radically Superman's environment like a Spider-Man mid-60s soap opera is not for me and it seems that most of the old timers like me agree.  
I think that a change modus operandi was a necessity for DC.  What they did and why in the first place was to help writers with continuity.  So?  Let the writer figure it out and if they make a mistake it can be ok...  Don't change the whole concept though - which is what they did - are DC gamblers and they lost?  Mmmm - thought for the mind...

Brainsy...

Rugal 3:16
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2005, 12:56:09 PM »

But If you guys are looking for Weisinger Era Simplicity (Dialogue and such) even with the new format, Think again..

As enjoyable as those books were FOR IT'S TIME, it's simply bad business to revert it back to those Simplistic dialogue and too much suspension of disbelief, if those formats draw as well as we would like to believe then superman reprints (pre-crisis) would be much more often..

What I do want though is SINGLE-ISSUE storylines.. forget about comics trying to act as though they're graphic novels, forget about the lord of padding that was BRIAN MICHAEL BENDID and the dreaded 6 month worthless story issues format he contributed..

It should be a light hearted BUT still streamlined DCU so that it wouldn't attrcat detraction labels or scare off fans of this format of storytelling

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2005, 01:20:19 PM »

Quote from: "Rugal 3:16"
if those formats draw as well as we would like to believe then superman reprints (pre-crisis) would be much more often..

You should check out this thread: http://superman.nu/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2161

We just want Superheroes who act like Superheroes not the the return of the Sliver Age,

that's what the top selling Showcase series is for (lots of volumes are out now, with lots more to come), you know the one that is selling out everywhere is a huge hits with all fans, yes that one.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2005, 06:03:46 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"

We just want Superheroes who act like Superheroes not the the return of the Sliver Age,

Exactly. I'm sick of people who oppose the grim n' gritty stuff being written off as people who just want it to be 1965 again. Theres nothing dated about heroes being true and there being a sense of fun and adventure to superhero stories. I also think way to often keeping things simple and making things "simplistic" get viewed as the exact same thing. So it's only sophisticated when things are deadly dark or colorful heroes are drowning in "shades of grey"? Bull'.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2005, 09:37:02 PM »

I don't neccesarily mind shades of grey, but you have to have the fundamental black and white to offset them. What's great about the current age of comics (Platinum or whatever you want to call it) is that here the heroes aren't simply good for goodness sake, they choose the better angels of their nature and they act heroically.

I think Marvel Comics' Squirrel Girl put it best in GLA: Misassembled when she said " I enjoy comics where superheroes fought giant monkeys on the moon. When comicbook worlds were ones you wanted to escape to. . . " *sour look at the camera* ". . .not from. "

A great read that. Pick it up sometime. The Monkey Joe bits alone are comic gold. Wink

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L