superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonA Tale of the Golden Age SupermanHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:58:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes coming to Superman titles in 2006 post IC  (Read 18890 times)
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2005, 01:14:48 AM »

Quote from: "Defender"

I think Marvel Comics' Squirrel Girl put it best in GLA: Misassembled when she said " I enjoy comics where superheroes fought giant monkeys on the moon. When comicbook worlds were ones you wanted to escape to. . . " *sour look at the camera* ". . .not from. "

I don't follow Marvel Comics.

I never picked up a copy of "GLA: Misassembled".

Until this moment I didn't know that a "Squirrel Girl" even EXISTED.

But after reading her quote (crashing right through the "fourth wall"), I've suddenly become a Squirrel Girl fan...  :wink:

DTO
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2005, 01:52:23 AM »

It's a surprisingly fun read, as is all the Marvel work of writer Dan Slott. Check out GLA: Misassembled, She-Hulk, and The Thing for more fun in that vein. Smiley

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2005, 03:08:20 AM »

Quote from: "dto"
Quote from: "Defender"

I think Marvel Comics' Squirrel Girl put it best in GLA: Misassembled when she said " I enjoy comics where superheroes fought giant monkeys on the moon. When comicbook worlds were ones you wanted to escape to. . . " *sour look at the camera* ". . .not from. "

I don't follow Marvel Comics.

I never picked up a copy of "GLA: Misassembled".

Until this moment I didn't know that a "Squirrel Girl" even EXISTED.

But after reading her quote (crashing right through the "fourth wall"), I've suddenly become a Squirrel Girl fan...  :wink:

I never heard of them too.

here is their entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Avengers

"Notable about Squirrel Girl is that in spite of her arguably silly powers, she has already defeated Doctor Doom, Thanos and M.O.D.O.K.. "

Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Rugal 3:16
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2005, 12:28:30 PM »

Read the last page of my post, Light-hearted but streamlined, it's the exact same thing..

Blame Marvel for "Thinning" the fans appreciative tastes to heroes trying to be in the real world..

Again as I said, if you base it on that argument (not saying it's my POV) That makes Marvel a Taboo in itself..

But they continiously OUTSELL DC in every possible turn in the 1960's

Still my loyalty goes to DC in the end, but that doesn't mean I don't read marvel.

But it's really tough when they have 80% of the comic fans (Hardcore and casual) so you have to attract some tof them, so you have to present a format/language they can understand and THEN (here comes the hard part) Try to convert them..

for example.. Spider-Man is a RELATABLE superhero = $$$$$$ because of society (try to work around a rebuttal to that argument that supports superman being something more [which I agree] than spiey while SIMULTANEOUSLY destroying the STIGMA that is Superman is a boring superhero) Stan Lee Marketed his characters well in an effort that relly made 1960's DC look obsolete in those times.

DC should find a groundbreaking BREAK from that overall perception.

I personally enjoy the Showacase presents as opposed to the essentials, however most people don't feel that way.

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2005, 07:45:36 AM »

Well, after some online research my ardor for Squirrel Girl has cooled significantly.   :wink:   Apparently she (and her squirrel buddies) regularly breach the "fourth wall", and defeating Dr. Doom and other noted nasties smacks of "Mary Sue".

And she obviously confuses "horizontal" with "vertical" when applying eyeliner.   :wink:

Regardless, I can't fault her taste in literature...   :lol:

DTO
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2005, 09:39:20 PM »

I think she's just fun. In the GLA mini-series she introduced the stories and gave disclaimers for the kids reading comics while Monkey Joe offered sage commentary from time to time in the series. It was pretty funny stuff in my opinion.

And yeah, in the GLX-Mas special she defeats Terrax, Modok, and Thanos himself! She's the baddest superhero you've never heard of. The villains that have the Marvel Heroes trembling in fear? All in a day's work for Squirrel Girl. And she was co-created by Steve Ditko! What's not to love? Wink

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2005, 08:01:52 AM »

Xmas specials?  Right.  I tend to look at those stories with an extreme sense of disebelief.  They don't follow any of the usual patterns  During an Xmas special, I will believe that a six year old girl can stop all of the Sentinel robots from fighting by holding up a flower and stating the benefit of love and the Christmas spirit.

Like the Darkseid special where Santa makes it through all of Apokolips's defenses and hands Darkseid a lump of coal.

Or the Batman story where the Christmas star helps Batman find a crook who had reformed and was in danger of being killed by a hitman.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2005, 07:35:14 AM »

Quote from: "ShinDangaioh"
Xmas specials?  Right.  I tend to look at those stories with an extreme sense of disebelief.  They don't follow any of the usual patterns .

I guess we can get all grinchy now that Christmas is officially over, but breaking the "usual patterns" sounds pretty worthwhile to me.

Steve Ditko drew Squirrel Girl?  Now I have to do some googling as well.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L