superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:47:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unresolved issues, as of Infinite Crisis #2...  (Read 5837 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« on: November 20, 2005, 10:56:57 PM »

First of all, I'd like to say that if E2 Superman is a villian because he thinks there is something wrong with the DCU, then I'm a villian too. We should form our own Secret Society...

At any rate, our Secret Society has already been successful at a number of things...I would point to Superman: Birthright and the return of the original numbering of issues- plus the return of classic characters like Krypto and Kara Zor-El. There are still unresolved issues though...and that's what this post is about.

1. Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Did, as Jeph Loeb seemed to suggest in the Absolute Power arc, one imaginary story actually happen? Did Alan Moore's tale of the last days of Superman come to pass... or did Crisis on Infinite Earths bizarro the Earth-1 Superman into the one we have now, per Infinite Crisis #2? There is a conflict here, just like when I used bizarro as a verb.

2. Karas, Karas, everywhere...

I'm satisfied with the new-yet-old origin of Power Girl. But who is the real Kara Zor-El? The one from Many Happy Returns, or the new one, also introduced by Jeph Loeb.

3. What Hypertime is it?

Surely this concept is not gone completely, if Grant Morrison is involved in Crisis. So...where is Kristen Wells? Dangit!

4. Superboy: Clark Kent, Genetic Gangbang, or something else?

Conner Kent is part Superman, part Luthor, part guy from Cadmus...but is either way a tool of Luthor. Superboy-Prime is back, sole survivor of his planet, which formerly included George Reeves, Cary Bates, and the Bronze-Age super-crew.

I don't foresee Clark Kent as Superboy...not that optimistic about it since DC seems to hate the concept, unless the Siegels really press the issue when they regain the rights. (Hmm...is it possible that our Secret Society could arrange that?)

5. The Luthors.

A Luthor with green eyes. A Luthor with blue eyes. And then there is a Luthor who created Lois out of nothingness and contained Superman and Superboy-Prime in a pocket universe for 20 years. Alexander Luthor also happens to be partially made of Anti-matter. Does anyone else find this suspicious, by the way? E2 Superman could just appear to be a villian because Alexander Luthor is pulling the strings.

But I'm still a villian, in a secret society.  :twisted:  I seek the destruction of the Iron Age DCU, and my last name is Thorul...

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 12:18:11 AM »

is it just me or does someone see birthright tying into this some way?
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 04:49:25 PM »

I believe Berganza's been hinting at this in his Ask Eddie forum for some time.  The implication is this big event is supposed to resolve the disparities between the MOS origin, the BR origin, and what is ultimately the true origin.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 08:18:03 PM »

so is there a current official origin for earth-2 superman?
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 08:26:47 PM »

Yes, and our hosts have graciously made the scans available on this very site.

http://superman.nu/tales2/e2-origin/?page=1

Enjoy!

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 09:56:22 PM »

Quote from: "sikkbones"
so is there a current official origin for earth-2 superman?

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
Yes, and our hosts have graciously made the scans available on this very site.

http://superman.nu/tales2/e2-origin/?page=1

Enjoy!

Ah, but this is the pre-Infinite Crisis origin of the Earth-2 Superman.

As Beppo mentioned elsewhere, DC will be publishing a new, post-Infinite Crisis origin - as a multi-title three-part storyline - in a few months.

Keep your eyes peeled for it!

Or just read Action Comics #1.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 11:29:28 PM »

I think there's a strong possibility that the Earth 2 Superman is being influenced by Alexander Luthor.  However, as you stated, he's not wrong;  the DC Universe has gone astray.  The heroes are no longer people one would look up to.

If there's any out come from this mini-series I would hope that DC goes back to making their heroes true role models.

dto
Action Ace

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 02:29:50 AM »

And here's something that I haven't seen discussed yet -- we've all assumed that NOTHING changed Kal-L & Company in the Paradise Dimension, save for perhaps a slowed passage of time and Lois' decline.  But perhaps they WEREN'T completely spared from the retconning effects of the Crisis, ESPECIALLY since they were observing the aftereffects.

Maybe that explains the minor inconsistancies in Kal-L's background that have come up in "Infinite Crisis" and "JSA: Classified".  It might NOT be poor research, but a deliberate hint that even those in the Paradise Dimension have been slightly revised to fit the upcoming new Reality EVEN IF KAL-L IS CONFIDENT THAT THEY WERE SHIELDED FROM ANY SUCH CHANGE.

Also, how DID Alex Luthor "find" this Paradise Dimension?  Who created it?  Did Someone show it to Alex and told him to grab Lois, knowing that Kal-L would follow her?  What was the reason for keeping Kal-L there "in reserve"?  Was it simply to have him ready in case of another Crisis?  Or perhaps this was part of a long-term plan to subtly warp his judgment over the decades and CREATE this Crisis?  After all, we don't know what ELSE he may have seen over the years.  Maybe some of these images were purposely misleading or misinterpreted.

DTO
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L