superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:33:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lex Luthor, done right.  (Read 18833 times)
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2005, 08:45:42 PM »

In the animated series pilot Luthor ( like in the "man of steel" mini-series) tried to recruit superman.  He saw him as a potential asset in achieving his long-term goals.  His early plans involved trying to control Superman.  When that didn't work, Lex decided to kill him instead.  How about this?  Lex hates Kal, because Kal is Lex's biggest obstacle.  But, at the same time Lex enjoys the challenge Kal represents.  Basically Lex wants his victory to be a monument to his genius.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 12:09:40 AM »

Superman is Yin
Lex is Yang

Remember : wherever you go , there you are.
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 03:48:05 PM »

that's lex's modus operandi

seize power any way possible
this includes corruption, temptation, seduction and bribery
He believes everybody has their price and for the right amount or price anybody can be made to do the exact opposite of what their morals tell them to do.
Anybody who rejects his bribes like Lois or Superman are only telling lies.
They don't really have higher morals that prevent them from compromising. Nobody is that pure, reasons Lex.
He thinks Superman is being self-righteous when he rejects Luthor's offer of employment. He thinks Superman is planning to use his super powers instead to rule mankind, not help them altruistically.
1. The love of money is the root  of all evil
2. Money is a shadow of power over people and power to get people to do things.
3. The love of power is the root of evil too.
4. once you get enough power, enough is never enough: greed and lust
5. power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

This is what drives Lex. he lusts for money and power. He simply cannot believe Superman's power has not corrupted him.
In this way Superman is a type or figure of the Lord Jesus Christ who was tempted in all things yet without sin and who when the Tempter offered him all the power of the kingdoms of the world ( if he would only worship Satan),
he responded:
" Get behind me, (Get lost!) Satan! For it is written, you shall worship the Lord your God and Him only will you serve."

llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 03:49:23 PM »

In that JLA/Avengers crossover Kurt Busiek at one point had Dr. Doom attempt to gain access to the Source.  He almost succeeded.  Lex Luthor should be doing things like that.  The best Luthor stories are when he has big goals & does big things.  Like "the man who stole the sun.".  Lex Luthor when done right should have many goals.  Destroying Superman should be only one of his objectives.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005, 12:37:23 AM »

Quote from: "llozymandias"
In that JLA/Avengers crossover Kurt Busiek at one point had Dr. Doom attempt to gain access to the Source.  He almost succeeded.  Lex Luthor should be doing things like that.  The best Luthor stories are when he has big goals & does big things.  Like "the man who stole the sun.".  Lex Luthor when done right should have many goals.  Destroying Superman should be only one of his objectives.

Agreed. Lex is a "man of tomorrow" himself, a being so intelligent that humans will not ascend to his level for a very, very long time (if ever). I've always liked the idea that Lex would've been the greatest human being ever if Superman had never come to Earth. It's really mythic.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2005, 05:32:11 AM »

I liked that story where Lex finds a cure for cancer, but I can't remember the name or what comic it was in.

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2005, 09:07:42 PM »

One of the things I really disliked about the post-Boot Lex was that the public-at-large thought that Luthor was a nice guy, a humanitarian-type; while only Superman knew that Lex was really a manipulating scum-bucket.

I much prefer it when the public-at-large thinks that Lex is an irredeemable scum bucket; yet Superman always gives Lex the benefit of the doubt (where no one else would) and continuously holds out hope that Luthor could redeem himself at any moment and is really a good guy at heart.  I have only seen Elliot Maggin and Grant Morrison treat the characters in this way.

I hope we see more of it.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2005, 07:10:48 AM »

Quote from: "Psybertrack"
I liked that story where Lex finds a cure for cancer, but I can't remember the name or what comic it was in.

Was that in either "Death of Superman" or "The Story of Superman-Red and Superman-Blue"?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L