superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe Krypton ChroniclesHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:35:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lex Luthor, done right.  (Read 18568 times)
forgottenhero
Supermen of America

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 10:25:50 PM »

I think the 1990s Animated series and Birthright got Lex down perfectly. There's no reason that Lex can't be both a brilliant scientist and The Man Who Owns Metropolis (so to speak). And I love the way that Lex has been written in the JLU cartoon.
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 01:39:17 AM »

Lex hates Superman.

For one they have a history and are in some ways closer to Superman than anybody else even Lois or  Ma Kent.  He's tried to kill Superman repeatedly but would probably miss him if he ever succeeded.
There is a thin line between love and hate.
Superman is good. Very good. Not perfect but most of the time nearly so. He is not corrupted by his near demigodlike power. Though he could, he does not choose to sit on a throne and rule a world as say Mongul did at Warworld.  Lex thinks Superman is a Liar and a Phony ,hiding behind a facade of goodness. Lex knows Lex Luthor is corrupt. He believes everybody is corrupted by enough power or temptation. Everybody has his price and when payed they will become the same greedy, power-grabbing, ravenous animal that Lex believes every human being is at heart.    So when Superman takes the high moral ground to say his purpose is truth, justice and so on, Lex thinks he is lying. He just seems holier than thou to Lex.  So Lex is determined to show the world that Superman is corrupt and bad. That he is an alien threat.  That Superman is doing it all only for his own self interests. and most of all that the general public's love, respect and hero-worship of Superman is something that Superman is not worthy of.
Lex wants them to worship him and fear him instead.

Remember : wherever you go , there you are.
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 02:50:57 AM »

It's very reasonable to think that a super-genius like Lex would resort to crime only as a last resort.  I imagine pre-crisis Earth-1 silver-age Lex Luthor being a multi-billionaire (or even multi-trillionaire).  Inventions patented under aliases.  As well as investment income.  Just imagine how many businessmen (& women) on Earth-1 could turn out to be "owned" by Lex Luthor.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 08:49:56 PM »

The Luthor in the Superman animated series seemed to view masterminding crimes as a game/sport/hobby.  Something he did for fun.  I think one of the real world reasons for Luthor (throughout most of the silver-age) wearing only his prison uniform was the comics code authority.  DC could have been afraid to put Lex in a suit.  Might have made him look like a businessman.  I believe the comics code forbade depicting government/law officials & businesspeople as being crooks.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 02:48:02 AM »

I loved the LEXMAS episode of Smallville tv series on WB from Dec. 8 2005.  That showed what Lex Luthor is really all about in the last minute of the episode.  POWER, MONEY, and the ABILITY TO CONTROL PEOPLE . he also believes the myth that if you have enough of the 3 above you can buy joy and peace.  You can buy things you think will make you happy but it won't guarantee you'll stay happy or give you real satisfaction or joy.  Nevertheless, the way to seek power is to crush those in your way beneath your boot, as you climb up the ladder of success. Ignore your conscience and it will go away. Just grab more power. But enough power or money is never enough and you are always left unsatisfied and wanting. So Lex had a turning point as a young man and is on his way to the adult Lex we love to hate. Lex is dedicated to destroy anybody who gets in the way of his ruling the world. First as senator of Kansas and eventually...the white house and beyond.  Now we have Lex as villain and politician and businessman.  Now it gets interesting.

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005, 02:59:49 AM »

At the pace that Smallville is going, any decade now... :?
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005, 07:29:20 AM »

probably it will get cancelled in 1 year. actors want to do more movies.

lonewolf23k
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2005, 04:07:51 PM »

Quote from: "llozymandias"
The Luthor in the Superman animated series seemed to view masterminding crimes as a game/sport/hobby.  Something he did for fun.  I think one of the real world reasons for Luthor (throughout most of the silver-age) wearing only his prison uniform was the comics code authority.  DC could have been afraid to put Lex in a suit.  Might have made him look like a businessman.  I believe the comics code forbade depicting government/law officials & businesspeople as being crooks.

Yeah, that's how I see Luthor as well..  He's brilliant enough to make billions legally, or semi-legally.  Why commit acts of super-villainy for profit?  I do think that his acts of mastermind villainy should be something he does to entertain himself, rather then something he does out of necessity.  ...Which frankly, only makes it more evil.

...And expanding on that, what if Luthor's motives for wanting to destroy Superman wasn't really hatred for what Superman represents?  What if, instead, he sees Superman as the ultimate challenge for a being of his intellect?  Sort of a "I never knew failure until I faced Superman..  I've never been challenged like this."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L