superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:17:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lex Luthor, done right.  (Read 18565 times)
Rugal 3:16
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2005, 11:57:26 AM »

As much as I'm hating the Kingpin Luthor these days he does have one advantage over Dr Wily Luthor..

Superman is Good personified, Luthor is evil personified
Supes has physical powers used for good, Luthor has social powers used for ill

ego or not, Wily Luthor wanting to go toe to toe with supes is a sign of envy, and it makes him look laughable, I'm already smarter why not use that.

Well Phantom zone or any other prison would still be better (or take lex longer to escape) than just gold bars..

and BTW even the pre-Crisis DCU humans are not that all nincompoops, they figured a better way to cage a lunatic who's always escaping.. it's basic math.

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2005, 10:34:52 PM »

My favorite portrayal of Luthor was in Maggin's "Luthor's Gift." He sort of combined every version of the character and it worked very well.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2005, 07:57:09 AM »

Superman is superhuman. While Lex is all too human. His fears drive him but he would like others to think he is fearless. He fears that an alien can never be trusted.  He is either to be enslaved and controlled or destroyed.
Lex who once would have been satified to rule the world by controlling the strings of world power from behind the scenes and let some puppet ruler take the spotlight, has changed in modern times. Now he wants to be President (and he was for a while) of the USA and more. He wants a degree of recognition type power as well as behind the scenes power.

Remember : wherever you go , there you are.
Rugal 3:16
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2006, 12:09:22 PM »

One thing I hate about Pre-crisis Luthor is that his goals most of the time ae LIMITED to simply destroying superman, that's what Kinfpin Lex has over him.

Post-Supes and Lex are more Yin vs Yang in dynamic as opposed to Pre-Supes and Lex

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2006, 01:20:04 AM »

Pre-Crisis Luthor was an evil super-genius super-scientist.  Originally his main goal was to conquer the universe.  Starting with earth, of course.  Prior to the 70s destroying Superman was one of his main goals.  Lex saw Kal as the main obstacle to Lex being able to do much of anything.  Lex still dreamed of conquest.  In the 70s, destroying Superman became Lex's only goal.  That was when Lex's reason for hating Kal became "you made me lose my hair".  

Also by this time Dc's writers seemed to be completely unable/unwilling to do cosmic stories.  Marvel at least had (& still has) Galactic Empires.  And certain writers (like Elliot S Maggin) at DC tried to limit everything "cosmic" to the Milky Way galaxy.  The Guardians (& the Green Lantern Corps) lose stature if they only operate in one galaxy.  Hal's bosses called themselves "the Guardians of the UNIVERSE" for a reason.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2006, 05:30:37 AM »

Going back to businessman Luthor, I think the concept works as long as Luthor is brought down by Superman. It was a mistake to basically have the two characters locked in a stalemate for two years--it made them BOTH look ineffectual.

I think the reason that they did wait so long is simple: they didn't know where to take the character once he fell. There was no real "exit strategy" for Luthor. Maggin handled moving Luthor from businessman villain to known villain in "Luthor's Gift."

I've considered the many possibilities for the Luthor character (and there are quite a few) and found that Maggin's take on the character in "Luthor's Gift" is my favorite. If I were writing the Superman comics (and, Rao willing, someday I will) I'd strongly consider using Maggin's version.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2006, 08:55:02 AM »

Quote from: "Rugal 3:16"
One thing I hate about Pre-crisis Luthor is that his goals most of the time ae LIMITED to simply destroying superman, that's what Kinfpin Lex has over him.

Rugal, you should read Eliot Maggin's Last Son of Krypton to find up what Superman has really been preventing Lex from doing all these years! Cheesy

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L