superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:50:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does Heat vision worK?  (Read 7556 times)
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: November 22, 2005, 12:02:45 AM »

Is it like fire projection?
Or is it like Cyclops eyebeams which have a concussive impact effect?
Are they MIcroweaves

Remember : wherever you go , there you are.
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 01:24:23 AM »

Byrne had it as a form of pyrokinesis, he just accelerated the molecules of whatever he was looking at. Waid said he projected infrared from his eyes. Maggin had him able to project anything he wanted, making pictures etc. I'd say general consensus is the heat aspect of it is him firing microwave and IR radiation in beams from his eyes.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 03:27:03 AM »

makes sense
infrared beams when heating my eggs in my super frying pan, microwave projection vision beams to heat substances but not burn the intervening space. cook from within.
I just thought he could burn words into cement walls if he wanted to like a drill almost, but I guess that would be possible with ir and mw beams. But there wouldn't be knocback would there, and yet i see kb every so often from heat vision. ...

Remember : wherever you go , there you are.
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 04:07:46 AM »

Well when air is heated rapidly it expands, and creates kinetic knockback.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
lonewolf23k
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 04:19:21 AM »

My personal theory is that it ties into his X-Ray vision, and is actually a form of X-Ray Laser..
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 06:17:28 PM »

Shockwaves from rapidly expanding air from heating is possible here.

Also, photons themselves possess a miniscule momentum so a tiny degree of recoil is involved in just turning on a flashlight.  Solar sails are based on that principle so they use the momentum of impinging solar photons instead of air molecules to drive them.  Our own artificial satellites are deflected measurably by solar radiation annually.  Of course, it would take a tremendous energy discharge to produce such a measurable effect as knocking back a man-sized object noticeably.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 08:11:00 PM »

Here's a link describing the physics of photon momentum and solar sails including the formulas for those so inclined.

http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae270.cfm

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 09:13:50 PM »

I know it's a bit R-Rated for this site, but in the story Maximortal he tried to address his powers in a scientific way. Something to the effect that he had a large than normal heart which acted as a nuclear generator.

Maybe Superman doesn't the same thing, there is a new printing of the TPB, if you want more info, but please it is for mature readers only.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L