superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonBatman!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:35:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kathy Kane: The First Batwoman  (Read 16640 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: November 25, 2005, 01:38:33 AM »

set to return post IC???

It seems to be true, Newsarma just posted a huge detailed article on everything Kathy Kane. Pretty cool for classic Batman fans, check it out:

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Batwoman/BatwomanHistory.htm

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 02:05:24 AM »

Hmmm....as Mrs Bruce Wayne perhaps? :wink:
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 03:58:24 PM »

I'd only read about her in black-and-white reprints before;  I never realised she wore a red, yellow and black costume!

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 04:33:27 PM »

Interesting timing, and not only because of Kathy Kane's 50th anniversary.

DC recently announced that in the wake of "Infinite Crisis" the current "Batgirl" title will be cancelled, and a new "BATWOMAN" book launched.

Speculation is rampant on the DC Comics Message Boards over who this "Batwoman" will be.  Most assume Cassandra Cain will be "graduating" to this role, even if she's still depicted somewhere in her mid-teens.  Others predict Barbara Gordon will not only walk again, but resume her crimefighting as Batwoman, with Casandra still in her Bargirl role.

Longshot candidates include Catwoman Selina Kyle, Huntress Helena Wayne (if she returns), Huntress Helena Bertinelli (if Helena Wayne returns and reclaims her title), Sasha Bordeaux (if she survives "Infinite Crisis" and gets de-OMACed) and Flamebird Bette Kane (the Post-Crisis incarnation of Bat-Girl Betty Kane).

But if Earth-2 is indeed returning, perhaps the Earth-2 Batwoman may come out of retirement.  As we saw in "Interlude on Earth-Two", Kathy was still alive, unlike her Earth-1 and Post-Crisis counterparts.  It would be interesting to see her against Bronze Tiger -- will "Round Three" be yet another tragic repeat, or will Kathy Kane finally extract justice for her two murdered "sisters"?

Hmm....

DTO
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 04:41:00 PM »

My reading of all the hints and descriptions dropped in various places - about how Superman will be going through a big change in his books, how the Earth-2 Superman will be in JSA, and now about a Batwoman book (probably Kathy Kane) - it seems to me that Infinite Crisis is basically going to un-do Crisis.  Superman will become the Earth-1 Superman and the Multiverse will return.

Just my theory for what it's worth.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 05:23:47 PM »

While I'd like Kathy Kane to return as Batwoman, I don't want her old yellow-and-red costume back.  The colour scheme is all wrong for a supposed 'bat' character.  You don't see any real bats with those colours.

Bring her back but give her a subdued coloured costume like Batman or Nightwing.  Or maybe an update of Bab's or Cassie's outfit would work.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 06:21:52 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
While I'd like Kathy Kane to return as Batwoman, I don't want her old yellow-and-red costume back.  The colour scheme is all wrong for a supposed 'bat' character.  You don't see any real bats with those colours.

Bring her back but give her a subdued coloured costume like Batman or Nightwing.  Or maybe an update of Bab's or Cassie's outfit would work.

Poor Robin gets no love Sad

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 07:19:44 PM »

I'm very, VERY glad to hear they're doing something with a wonderful character like Kathy Kane rather than just sitting on their duffs on her. If Kathy Kane was an inanimate object in the DC offices, she'd be a fantastically written work of literature...that is used to pop up the wobbly leg of a coffee table.

I agree with Captain Kal that her costume is in desperate, desperate need of an extreme makeover, but I think the color scheme ought to stay. For one thing, you can't go wrong with yellow and red (just ask Captain Marvel!). Second, she wasn't supposed to be merely a dark, female clone of Batman. She had her own, rather more upbeat identity which involved (as I recall) lipstick bombs and compacts that had knockout dust. The yellow and red is so...HER. It's who she is.  

One person that was a very big fan of Kathy Kane was Alan Moore, who used her twice, once in "Man Who Has Everything" as the woman that Batman dreams of marrying (beating out Silver St. Cloud and the Catwoman) and again in SUPREME as the pastiche character "Lady Day."

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L