superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:57:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kathy Kane: The First Batwoman  (Read 16324 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 04:01:53 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
set to return post IC???

It seems to be true, Newsarma just posted a huge detailed article on everything Kathy Kane. Pretty cool for classic Batman fans, check it out:

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Batwoman/BatwomanHistory.htm

Wow, a great article. I actually learned something.  Kind of puts to shame our own efforts:
http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Batwoman

Maybe when the Batmanica finally rolls out ....

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 04:20:40 AM »

I wrote that entry from the TGSB, if you want to add anymore info of her meetings with Superman go right ahead. Knock yourself out. Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 05:43:54 AM »

Also:

Would it be too much to expect that Bette Kane would have her position restored as the rightful FIRST Batgirl in Batman history? Hearing Batfans call Barbara Gordon "Batgirl I" is an unforgivable oversight.

God, nothing is more tiresome than flogging the dead horse of how lousy the effects of CRISIS have been (though I loathe that mini and what it did with every fiber of my being), but you know...

Bette Kane was an interesting character. A "type-A" whom everything came easy for her (a beauty pageant winner, tennis player and swimmer) she took the persona to do something hard. She has an interesting motivation and an interesting personality and life experience. Bette Kane made the Bat-Family stronger instead of weaker, because suddenly Robin had himself an "opposite number." Several Imaginary Stories showed Robin and Bette Kane married. She made Kathy Kane stronger by giving her supporting cast that was exclusively hers. Bette Kane made the Batman Family stronger by the addition of an interesting character.

Her "restoration" in the Modern DC Universe was an an unrecognizeable character whose appearance was played for laughs, with no connection to anybody, that made the DC Universe weaker instead of stronger by adding one more to the overfilled pot of "deliberate parody character." What, it wasn't enough Beetle was made an overweight fool?

Also, no disrespect meant to Dick Grayson, but Kal-El is Nightwing - not him; Dick's just "borrowing" the name for a little bit. Attempts to divorce the "Nightwing" identity from the Superman origination make it weaker because suddenly Dick Grayson's choice to assume the identity becomes an arbitrary change of identity instead of one that recognizes his desire to create his own identity with respect for Superman's idealism. Further, the identity becomes less interesting because it is stripped of its history.

Attempts to make Dick Grayson the "one, true" Nightwing - complete with his own Flamebird - rankle me for these reasons.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 06:55:18 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Also:

Would it be too much to expect that Bette Kane would have her position restored as the rightful FIRST Batgirl in Batman history? Hearing Batfans call Barbara Gordon "Batgirl I" is an unforgivable oversight.

I think she shows up in Allred's Solo.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 07:16:33 PM »

The ever-adorable Bette Kane is indeed in Solo #7 and it's highly recommended reading!

What are they calling her now, Flamebird?  Yeesh.

But technically, Babs is indeed Batgirl I.  Bette was "Bat-Girl"...spelled with a hyphen.

How's that for nit-picky?

This looks like a job for...
Superman of America
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 02:23:39 PM »

I never understood why they retconned Batwoman and Bat-Girl out of existence anyway. Yeah, Babs Batgirl will always be my favorite(Supergirl/Batgirl team ups, those were the days. Sniff!) but Kathy and Bette had real strong ties to the Dynamic Duo. There's room for all the batwomen in Bruce's life. Also, in the new history when Bats fired Dick wasn't it Superman who gave him the Nightwing persona idea?

Superman of America: America's No.1 Sunshine Superman!
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »

It was a pretty easy retcon, Batwoman and much of the other "Bat family" were pretty much ignored since 1965, though in an admirable bit of "Silver Age restraint", they weren't brought back for 6 panels and then brutally murdered... Cool
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 03:30:09 PM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
It was a pretty easy retcon, Batwoman and much of the other "Bat family" were pretty much ignored since 1965, though in an admirable bit of "Silver Age restraint", they weren't brought back for 6 panels and then brutally murdered... Cool

ah.. the good old days.

I belive they reconned her to Earth-2.

Anyone know for sure, I am not the biggest Batfan.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L