superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:06:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kathy Kane: The First Batwoman  (Read 16332 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 03:40:46 PM »

I think she was gone as Batwoman post-Crisis, though I read somewhere, Kathy Kane continued to be a character...

I didn't mind that she faded away, she was kind of "too precious" feminine with a "bat purse" etc., but like gradually changing the "marriage crazy" Lois Lane of the 60s, I have no problem with Batwoman maybe retiring etc.  I kind of liked Ace, though I have rarely seen a dog drawn more strangely... Cool
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 07:56:48 PM »

Yeah, after she was apparently killed by the League of Shadows after her retirement in the Bronze Age...

Another simplicity introduced by the Crisis that made the complex DC universe more understandable... Cool
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 09:02:35 PM »

Quote from: Superman of America
Also, in the new history when Bats fired Dick wasn't it Superman who gave him the Nightwing persona idea?
I always thought that Robin quit and then later adopted the Nightwing ID himself, inspired in part by Kal's adventures as "Nightwing" in the Bottle City.

Who in the world ever came up with this "fired" gimmick?  Sounds like a horrible idea to me!

S!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 05:25:49 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Superman of America
Superman Family

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2006, 08:19:34 PM »

I found out this lil' tidbit, maybe Lady Shiva is a contender for the new Batwoman. I like the idea of having an Asian member of the Bat-family. http://www.answers.com/topic/batwoman

Superman of America: America's No.1 Sunshine Superman!
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2006, 12:47:20 AM »

Super Monkey writes:

I belive they reconned her to Earth-2.

Anyone know for sure, I am not the biggest Batfan.

There was a Kathy Kane/Batwoman on both Earths.  The Earth-1 model, as noted, was assassinated.  The Earth-2 model came out of retirement at least once to team with Earth-1 Batman in another of Alan Brennert's masterpieces in "Brave and the Bold."  Lots of interesting character scenes there as E-2 Kathy and E-1 Bruce creep each other out, each reminding the other of their dead friend/love.

Who in the world ever came up with this "fired" gimmick? Sounds like a horrible idea to me!

This came from writer Max Allen Collins, who took over "Batman" shortly after Miller's DKR as part of an abortive "re-boot" effort.  In his version of things, Dick was shot by the Joker, freaking out Batman who basically fired him from the Robin job so he wouldn't be responsible for his safety any more.  Of course by the next issue he had a new Robin, making the whole thing twice as stupid.  (This is the same storyline that introduced Jason Todd as a streetwise punk Batman catches boosting the tires off the Batmbobile!).

And yes, that's the same Max Allen Collins who wrote the graphic novel turned Tom Hanks film, "Road to Perdition."  So he did have his good days, Batman notwithstanding.

This looks like a job for...
Superman of America
Superman Family

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 05:38:50 AM »

Batwoman returns to the Modern Age DC and she'll be Kathy Kane. This isn't the original Kathy she'll be a buxom lipstick lesbian who may have had a tryst with Renee Montoya. Her new costume is designed by Alex Ross.

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71980

Superman of America: America's No.1 Sunshine Superman!
pre crisies guy
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 09:55:05 PM »

This has been all over the news the last few days with everyone asking the same question, Why a lesbian?.
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 02:46:51 AM »

Indeed, why.
DC does it again to the fans.  A senseless change for a classic character.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L