superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:41:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Through the Ages: Evolution of Superman  (Read 10623 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« on: November 26, 2005, 08:24:41 PM »

I haven't put all my thoughts to paper yet, but I maybe it might be good to talk about WHY Superman of different times is appealing or not, not just because of content, but because of the time and where the reader was at that time...
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 08:27:52 PM »

First off, I don't think its "relevence" per se, there are plenty of stories and story-telling methods that are still relevant when it comes to heroes that go back thousands of years...
Jor-L
Superman Fan

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 09:31:30 PM »

I wrote a paper last year that began to discuss that very matter. It also dealt with how Superman's story is allegorical to the story of Christ, discussed how his story corresponds to Joseph Campbell's heroic pattern, and discussed how Superman in general appeals to people's subconscious psychological desires. It was 25 pages long (double space) so obviously I did not have the room necessary to truly do the thorough job with it that I some day hope to do.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 01:26:01 AM »

Holy Crap!  :shock:

I myself wrote a 25-page paper on Dietrich Bonhoeffer...I'm not too interested in writing another one anytime soon.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Ar-Thur8691
Superman Fan

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 04:37:19 AM »

The really sad thing is that I think that the current Superman is an accurate reflection of our times. God help us all.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 04:42:54 AM »

But he wasn't in the atomic age, he was partially sci fi but hanging with Jimmy Olsen and Snapper Carr in the JLA...I guess, to me, above, and beyond the times...roles models are not realistic and we all abandon them, but its not there to start, now...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 04:59:23 AM »

Quote from: "Ar-Thur8691"
The really sad thing is that I think that the current Superman is an accurate reflection of our times. God help us all.

I hope not.

Things have always been bad, the difference now is that the Media is trying to profit off of it and exploited it as much as possible. Therefore, making things look a lot worse than they really are.

To keep things on topic, I wasn't even born yet during the 1950's, or 1960's, I was born during the late 1970's but I was too young to read yet. I grew up during the 1980's. I rarely got to read the actual comics (just some early 80's stuff and some of the big Vs books), my Superman growing up as a kid was the Movies, old TV show, Superfriends and Superpowers. I did read the Man of Steel series when it 1st came out as they were released, and I decided right there never to read another Superman comic again, since he wasn't really Superman anymore.

It was only years later, during the freaking Superman-Blue era of all things, that I got my 1st true taste of the classic Superman. I have been reading about the classic Superman, doing research, and it all sounded so darn cool, but DC REFUSE to publish those old stories other than a few TPBs and I couldn't afford them at the time. Anyway, DC made this super crappy Superman Blue Superman Red 3D comic that was pure crap, but I brought it anyway, since it included a reprint of the old 3D Superman comic. As soon as I read the story with Lex Luther trying to steal the sun, I was hooked for life and rediscovered Classic Superman. As I got to read more and more classic stories, I just was blown away by just how much better they were than the current terrible Superman comics.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 05:13:23 AM »

I am SO sad you started in a way in the Superman Blue era...LOL... Cheesy

But I guess one point might be that Superman does not HAVE to be a product of his time, he wasn't in the 60s when I grew up either...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L