superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:04:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Frank R. Paul Thread  (Read 3317 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: November 27, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »

I don't how many of you know who this legendary Sci-Fi artists is, but I figured if you didn't you would want to know Smiley

He is on of my favorite artists, so I hope that you will all get a kick out of his art.

I found this website with lots of great artwork, enjoy and post your thoughts here, and yes it's Superman related somewhat, once you look at his art, you will understand:

http://www.frankwu.com/paul1.html

Enjoy Cheesy

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 11:41:14 PM »

Frank Paul rocks - we used a recereation of his NYC hit by a tidal wave Amazing illo as a on air graphic in a news report by Ken Klarkson for station LSMFT in the Smash Moron, Intergalactic Dolt serial I produced.

Beppo old bean, Check it out at www.owwzone.net - the first 3 eps are online and guess who's playing the anchor? :roll:

Not to mention Argo(t) City in Chapter 3! :shock:
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 03:21:29 AM »

Klar, is Smash Moron availble on DVD or in a hi-res download?  It looks great!

I've been reading Gerard Jones' Men of Tomorrow, and he goes out of his way to mention these Frank Paul covers.

In fact, there's a possibility that one of them

planted a seed in a young Jerry Siegel's brain.

I've never actually read Skylark of Space, but that cover sure makes me want to!

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 03:37:25 AM »

I haven't read that book, I love the classic view of the future. I guess that's why I love the classic true Krypton since it reminded me of his paintings.

make sure to see the other pages:

http://www.frankwu.com/paul2.html

http://www.frankwu.com/paul3.html

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 03:41:02 AM »

Rao,
Thanx for the compliment.

Smash is designed for cell phone download/viewing. We've got 12 episodes done so far out of 26. Orange Wireless is representing the company and we're waiting for a country or two to order  so our exec will pony up some more cash and we can get back to making magic.  The hi-rez is so detailed it's almost a shame to prevue it in low rez.

BTW shot in my living room and posted in my SFX guys kitchen. Its too bad Chapter 5 isnt up so you can thrill to Smash vs the Robot Army.
As production designer I showed him the Boring art for  "Superman's Return to Krypton" (and other depictions) and Wally Wood's EC saucers amongst other things.  

Here's the Cat Lord of Space!

RE: Fran Paul & EE Doc - Skyark's thrilling stuff but a bit dated esp when they're fighting BEMs (Bug Eyed Monsters) and chucking A-bombs like nobody's business. Both Henlein's book and the film of it, Starship Troopers. capture a lot of the epic feel of the Lensman books as well.  

If you've never read any Ed Hamilton's novels I recommend a collection of his short stories and his novel "City At World's End". A lot of Ed's older work he recyled in bits and pieces in some of our favorite stories.

Amazingly everyone thinks that Paul cover is of Buck Rogers and not Doc Smith's Skylark!  I love old pulps and sci-fi from the 30s cause goodness knows that's Krypton and what got Siegel & Shuster's mojo going!

Thanks Beppo again for those swell links! BTW the home page links to an illustrator Frnk Wu who's done work for a 'zine called Challs (?) that is edited by Guy H Lillian III!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L