superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe EXILE at the EDGE OF ETERNITY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:06:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superheroes From Around the World.  (Read 14666 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 03:06:39 PM »

I had posted this before, but it's worth posting again:

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/nonus.htm

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 10:37:06 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"

I LOVED Ultraman as a kid, there are a billion different Ultrapeople, Which one is the one I would had seen on US TV during the early 1980's?

I would love to be able to see them again.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/ultrafaq/Ultraman-FAQ.html

* Translated from Japanese to English
          o Ultraman
          o Ultraseven (actually not a direct translation, but often a rewrite)
          o Ultraman Ace
    * Produced in English
          o Ultraman: Towards The Future (a.k.a. Ultraman Great)
          o Ultraman: The Ultimate Hero (a.k.a. Ultraman Powered)
          o Ultraman: The Adventure Begins

Also one of the recent and most well regarded of the Heisei Era (A period that basically covers..I want to say from mid 80's through 1999) series Ultraman Tiga was dubbed (HORRIBLY!) for the Fox Box kids line-up on Saturday mornings.

By the mercy of the gods, the show was canceled AND there were DVD sets put out with full and accurate subtitles and the actual Opening and Ending sequences and music intact. These can be found on Amazon.com if you want to check this show and be able to appreciate it as it was intended.

Tiga and Nexus are my personal favorite Ultraman series. Tiga has a classical feel but it's also pretty modern. Nexus has a much darker tone but isn't dumb, cheap, and nihilistic about it. It simply presents a world that is very much in need of the light of hope that Ultraman represents.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 10:44:14 PM »

what is Ultraman Gaia - The Battle in Hyperspace  ?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 03:19:33 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
what is Ultraman Gaia - The Battle in Hyperspace  ?

Ultraman Gaia was the third of the Heisei Ultraman series and the movie is kind of a stand alone adventure with him and his regular cast. It features a team-up with his fellow Heisei Ultramen, Tiga and Dyna.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/ultrafaq/Ultraman-FAQ/WhoIsGaia.html

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 05:05:53 AM »

I don't use the term "classic" lightly, but...

INFRA-MAN is the greatest classic in the history of cinema.

There are some people who say that THE INCREDIBLES or SUPERMAN are the greatest superhero movies ever. Those people are morons. Did SUPERMAN have a deathtrap of "liquid ice?" Did THE INCREDIBLES have any chick with eyeballs on her hands? Huh?

Was any line given as inspirational and cogent as "gentlemen, the situation is so bad, that it is the WORST in HUMAN HISTORY!" Or "We're doing this for the children of the world?"

Don't forget this exchange, one of the great works of Western Literature, along with HAMLET, WAR AND PEACE, and AVENGERS #26:

Professor Chung: "Reyma...for success, it's essential you have Thunderball Fists."
Infra-Man: (sounding very impressed) "I...I can have such a thing?"
Professor Chang: "That's right - Thunderball Fists!"

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2005, 04:36:54 AM »

For you Guyver fans, check out this neat website:

http://www.bioweapons.com/

- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 05:29:44 PM »

Anyone know where to get a non-bootleg (ie, a high-quality) DVD of Infra-Man?  Region encoding doesn't matter, but English dubbing and/or subtitling would be a plus.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 07:07:01 PM »

There are two versions of the film:

The wacky English dub which completely changed the lines and many of the names to make it as cheesy as humanly possible, most American only know this version.

Then there is the uncut version which was remastered and looks great and has extras, fans of cheesy movies do not like this version since there isn't as much to make fun of.

There are only bootlegs of the cheese dub, but the true version has been release in Hong Kong. Hong Kong DVDs are vastly better than mainland China releases, which many times are just cheap bootlegs.

The best place to get it is right here:

http://www.hkflix.com/home.asp

I ordered from them many times. I believe they have it on sale.

- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L