superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonK-Metal Visitor!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:46:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superheroes From Around the World.  (Read 14693 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 07:17:10 PM »

Heres a link that has  a lot of info on 3 Supah Giant aka Star Man films with lots of photos.

http://www.tarstarkas.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=44

http://tarstarkas.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=1

http://tarstarkas.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=44
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 06:34:17 AM »

Back to Infra-man for a bit, here is the famous Infra-man review by Roger Ebert and the famous follow up:

Infra-Man

* * * (Three Stars - See Notes at the end of the review)

PG, 92 m., 1976

Li Hsiu-hsien, Wang Hsieh, Yuan Man-tzu, Terry Liu, Tsen Shu-yi, Huang Chien-lung, Lu Sheng. Directed by Hua Shan and produced by Rumme Shaw.

By Roger Ebert

Within the first four mintues of "Infra-Man," (a) a giant flying lizard attacks a school bus, (b) the Earth cracks open, (c) Hong Kong is destroyed by flames, (d) mountains disintegrate to reveal the forms of reptilian monsters with blinking yellow eyes, (e) the Professor announces that a twenty-million-year-old woman is unleashing the hibernating monsters upon civilization, (f) the Science Headquarters is shaken by a second quake, (g) the Mutants awake, and (h) the Professor, obviously shaken, informs a secret meeting of world leaders, "This situation is so bad that it is the worst that ever has been!"

No doubt about it: This is a case for Infra-Man. In his secret laboratory far beneath the Science Headquarters, the Professor explains to a brave volunteer: "We will wire your arms and legs with powerful transistors and death rays. You will be powered by a tiny nuclear reactor. Unfortunately, the operation will be very painful and you may die."

And so we're off and running, in the best movie of its kind since Invasion of the Bee Girls. I'm a pushover for monster movies anyway, but Infra-Man has it all: Horrendous octopus men, a gigantic beetle man with three eyes who sprays his victims with sticky cocoons, savage robots with coiled spring necks that can extend ten feet, a venomous little critter that looks like a hairy mutant footstool, elaborately staged karate fights, underground throne rooms, damsels in distress, exploding volcanoes, and a whip-cracking villainess named Princess Dragon Mom (Philip Wylie, please note).

The movie's totally, almost joyfully absurd, and a victim of John Carter's Syndrome. You remember J.C.S., based on the logical oversight in Edgar Rice Burrough's books about John Carter of Mars. After whole chapters of galloping across the Martian desert on his Martian steed and fighting off enemies in sword fights, John Carter finally says to hell with it, pulls out a ray gun, and fries everybody.

Same here. Gigantic mutant monsters with built-in death rays attack Infra-Man, who can hurl lightning bolts from the soles of his feet, and what do they do? They have a karate fight. After ten minutes of chopping and socking and doing acrobatic flips, THEN they zap each other.

No matter, Intra-Man contains terrific moments. In one cliff-hanging scene, for example, the Professor has Infra-Man wired up on the operating table when Science Headquarters is attacked by gigantic mutant arms. That's right, arms: no body, just arms. The arms squirm all over the headquarters, knocking off the power supply. The Professor shouts into his radio: "You have one minute to restore power before Infra-Man dies!"

His aide struggles toward a red power switch. He is knocked unconscious by an arm. Shot of a stopwatch ticking away the seconds. He regains consciousness, struggles some more. The arm attacks again. With ten seconds to go, soldiers burst into the room with a power saw and cut the arm in half. The switch is thrown and Infra-Man lives.

There are other good things. Lines like, "We are doing this for the children of the world." Or, "The clouds will cut off the sun and deprive Infra-Man of his power source." Or, "Drop the Earthling to her doom_she will melt at 3,000 degrees." The movie even looks good: It's a classy, slick production by the Shaw Brothers, the Hong Kong kung fu kings. When they stop making movies like Infra-Man, a little light will go out of the world.

here is the follow up included in the Mighty Peking Man review:

Mighty Peking Man" is very funny, although a shade off the high mark of "Infra-Man," which was made a year earlier, and is my favorite Hong Kong monster film. Both were produced by the legendary Runme Shaw, who, having tasted greatness, obviously hoped to repeat. I find to my astonishment that I gave "Infra-Man" only two and a half stars when I reviewed it. That was 22 years ago, but a fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that film. I am awarding "Mighty Peking Man" three stars, for general goofiness and a certain level of insane genius, but I cannot in good conscience rate it higher than "Infra-Man." So, in answer to those correspondents who ask if I have ever changed a rating on a movie: Yes, "Infra-Man" moves up to three stars.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 08:15:23 AM »

Ebert was/is one of the great movie critics.  But he was really good in the 70s.  I love his wild collections of interviews as well.  Not bad as a screenwriter, either!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 05:28:03 PM »

Beppo, thanks for the link on where to get a copy of Infra-Man.

I ordered the DVD, hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to turn on the English language subtitles when presumably all the menus and everything are in Chinese.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2005, 06:33:20 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
Beppo, thanks for the link on where to get a copy of Infra-Man.

I ordered the DVD, hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to turn on the English language subtitles when presumably all the menus and everything are in Chinese.

S!

As long as you can read English, you should be fine, since it's all translated Smiley

Hong Kong used to be owned by the British remember, now they want to break away from China and become their own country, but enough politics.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2005, 07:42:13 PM »

This movie is the most surreal experience of my life.

Better than Thunderbirds are Go, though.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 06:29:44 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
This movie is the most surreal experience of my life.

Better than Thunderbirds are Go, though.

S!

No argument here!

It's much easier and funnier to laugh at something than to praise it, so allow me to be perfectly sincere for a second: INFRA-MAN is totally awesome. Roger Ebert, despite his baffling praise for TITANIC, is one film critic that tends to be right on the money, because he has the experience and maturity to judge a work by what it is trying to accomplish and how close it comes to that, instead of by some objective standard that makes a lot of wonderful but unambitious movies (like this one) slip through the cracks.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005, 07:19:00 PM »

Some links from reviews in portuguese of the brazilian supr-heroes Combo Rangers:

http://www.universohq.com/quadrinhos/review_comborangers09.cfm

http://www.universohq.com/quadrinhos/review_comborangers04.cfm

http://www.universohq.com/quadrinhos/review_comborangers05.cfm

Note the homeges to Superman, Superfriends and the Justice League International.

Here is an article about Superman evolution:

http://www.omelete.com.br/quadrinhos/artigos/base_para_artigos.asp?artigo=698
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L