superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:54:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Original super art  (Read 9521 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 01:13:28 PM »

I think that is a GBS camera, and probably Lana Lang, with a decidedly 80's-style mane of "big hair."

This could be something DC commissioned during the Crisis era and never used, or maybe a study for a private commission around then.  Or maybe just a doodle or "tryout page" Boring did for fun or to get work from DC.

It certainly would be interesting to know for sure, but my money's on this being from the Crisis era.

Come to think of it, this would have been a great angle for the Crisis series to take.  A lot of the old-timers were still around in 1986; wouldn't it have been cool if, as realities began to merge in the wake of the fight at the dawn of time, we got panels or whole pages drawn by Boring, Dick Sprang, Curt Swan, Ramona Fradon, Nick Cardy, Mart Nodell and so on, as if the Universe was trying to "decide" what shape the new reality would take?

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 03:41:40 PM »

or it could just be a fake...  :oops:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 04:28:21 PM »

Nope.  Ive seen other Boring sketches such as his proposal for an adaptation of the Scarlet Letter - taint a fake, McGee.
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 05:03:08 PM »

If this IS a Wayne Boring work, and if it IS depicting the Crisis, then this must be among Wayne Boring's last Superman-related drawings.  (I agree that the news camera "S" probably stands for "WGBS", and the reporter is likely Lana Lang -- signalling late Bronze Age.)

Wayne Boring died of a heart attack in 1987.  Some years prior to his death, he had semi-retired from the comics industry and worked as a daytime bank security guard.  But perhaps around 1984 he was approached by DC to do a few tryout pages?  Or was this from a cancelled Post-Crisis "flashback" story that was supposed to appear between the Crisis and the Bryne reboot?  (Unlike Supergirl and old Kal-L, Superboy-Prime WAS remembered Post-Crisis, even by the Byrne "Man of Steel".)

One wonders what the storyline was about -- could this have explained what actually happened to Superboy-Prime between the time he was sucked away by that cosmic vortex and when he finally joined the heroes during the Crisis?  Remember, he revealed that Earth-Prime was destroyed, but he never explained HOW he knew.

"Curiouser and curiouser..."

DTO
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 06:02:02 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
Come to think of it, this would have been a great angle for the Crisis series to take.  A lot of the old-timers were still around in 1986; wouldn't it have been cool if, as realities began to merge in the wake of the fight at the dawn of time, we got panels or whole pages drawn by Boring, Dick Sprang, Curt Swan, Ramona Fradon, Nick Cardy, Mart Nodell and so on, as if the Universe was trying to "decide" what shape the new reality would take?

Kind of like the "recent" World's Funnest Comics, where Mxy and Bat-Mite destroy the multiverse --one of my favorite DC projects of the last 20 years.  Did anyone see Ramona Fradon's work in the Spongebob Special last year?

Bank Security Guard?  First time I've heard this sad story.  Boring was one of the greats! Iconic!

More on topic: I don't have a scan handy of my Curt Swan page featuring the Queen Bee, Zazala, the JLA, and a super-Clark Kent from Action 443 because it's framed on the wall, but this Mazzucchelli Batman page is making the rounds:

http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/yours_for_12000_or_perhaps_more/

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 08:34:05 PM »

$12 grand for THAT? Maybe an Infantino Flash or Kirby FF or a Joe Shuster Supes? Then again Ive seen $15K for  new Jim Lee DC icons. Insane.

Think Ill go get a Darwyn Cooke New Fronteir page for a hundred or so. :roll:
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2005, 05:40:11 AM »

Quote from: "TELLE"

Bank Security Guard?  First time I've heard this sad story.  Boring was one of the greats! Iconic!

You can find a 1984 Amazing Heroes interview with Wayne Boring at:

http://www.wayneboring.com/

(Select the interview and click the "View" button right above the mauve copyright box.)

There's some interesting insights on Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel, their legal battle with DC (they also sued Boring!), and Boring's ultimate firing by Mort Weisinger.

DTO
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2005, 06:39:33 AM »

Thanx 4 da lynx dto
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L