superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:22:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The ORIGINS of SUPERMAN  (Read 30097 times)
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2005, 12:38:06 AM »

Abe Lincoln:

Antebellum ,Rail Splitten yokel gets an education, grows a beard, is elected 16th US President, goes to war, frees the slaves and is assassinated for it so that in 2005 the youth don't even realize his face is on the penny and the five dollar bill.

Remember : wherever you go , there you are.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2005, 03:46:11 AM »

Quote from: "Psybertrack"
I HATE IT
with a passion.
I'm the greatest Superhero of all history and yet you can some up my origin in just one comic page?

Psybertrack, I've been trying to figure out just what it is that you hate but I haven't had any luck.

Are you referring to the one-page origin from All-Star?

Or are you referring to Birthright or possibly  Action Comics #500?  Those were the only two origin stories discussed on the same page as your post, but they are each much longer than one page!

Any hints?

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2005, 08:28:07 AM »

No birthright was from what i read a very good deal. I didn't like the Allstar one page version I read on the site.
I just don't like my favorite hero getting only a one page origin for Superman.  Its not a normal begining. Its not in my opinion subject to the reader's digest treatment. I like the longer versions of the origin story. I realize the one page version assumes the reader already knows the story very well.  Still I like to hear it again.
But birthright was a good comic, I just haven't read the whole thing just 18 pages.
I don't remember Action 500, but i'll go back and re-read that one. I have nothing against it.

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2005, 11:01:10 AM »

I have to admit, I really enjoyed Grant Morrison's one-pager. The whole point about the All-Star series, as I understand it, is to be picked up by casual readers who want a Superman story, not to provide a dramatic new reinterpretation of the character. What Morrison meant, I think, is this: "You know the origin story, you know the players, so I'm not going to belabour the obvious. Let's cut to the chase!"

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2005, 08:27:06 PM »

oh well uh hmm in that case....never mind

lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2005, 08:33:06 PM »

I thought that the one page origin  in All-Star was a nice touch - after all Superman's origin story is well known and basically stayed in the same form for almost 70 years.

Personally I would like to see Action Comics #400 added to the origins as it was after all " The Life Story of Superman" with art by Curt Swan

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
Captain Marbles
Superman's Pal

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2005, 03:00:00 AM »

I thought that was Action Comics #500.

"'Shazoom'?!  Vas ist das 'Shazoom'?!"

Superduperman, from Tales Calculated To Drive You Mad #4
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2005, 05:23:49 AM »

You are right it was Action comics 500

"Look Up In The Sky ..."