superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:54:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The ORIGINS of SUPERMAN  (Read 30437 times)
Anonymous
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 08:48:32 PM »

question: was the action comics #1 giant size published in the 70's added to with some of the 1939 origin? i remeber seeing the needle scene in my copy....
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 10:54:53 AM »

I noticed the 287 page origin story, but wondered whether it was actually a typo, or a mighty huge comic!

I've never read it, but I suspect I'd probably prefer most, if not all the much shorter pre-Crisis origin stories.

But then I've only read about 3-4 post-Crisis Superman stories, compared to more than 500 issues of pre-Crisis Action Comics and Superman comics.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 11:14:10 AM »

There is one other in the Birth of Superboy, More Fun Comics 101, 1945.

Great Shuster studio art --lots of Wayne Boring???

http://superman.nu/tales3/birthOfSuperboy/

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 02:39:41 AM »

Quote from: "Lee Semmens"
I noticed the 287 page origin story, but wondered whether it was actually a typo, or a mighty huge comic!

Not a typo.  In fact, the story should be longer but apparently a couple of pages were removed for the graphic novel collection of this 12-issue mini-series.

It's basically one part "Superman the Movie," one part Elliot S! Maggin, and one part Mark Waid.

Quote from: "TELLE"
There is one other in the Birth of Superboy, More Fun Comics 101, 1945

That depends on whether or not you consider Superman and Superboy to be the same character.   :wink:

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 07:59:31 PM »

I decided to take Telle's suggestion. I added the 1945 Superboy origin to the collection.

This one has got the best Kryptonian costumes of all of them.

In fact, after reading through all the other origins, I  realized that the Jor-El costume used in All-Star is basically all of the previous Jor-El costumes rolled into one - a massive confluxuation of the Flash Gordon flight-hat outfit from 1945 and the Silver Age headband and the Birthright costume.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 09:22:01 PM »

I like it! And of course adding the 1945 origin is appropriate...

I would also point out this origin from 1978, which is one of the best I've read...

Last Son of Krypton! The first five chapters of this book tie the origin in beautifully, from the involvement of Albert Einstein, the Superboy career, childhood relations with Luthor...everything that I consider important in the Superman origin. Take another look:

http://superman.nu/thebook/lsok_contents.php

Then there is "The Greatest Green Lantern of All" from 1972, which added an Oan dimension to Superman's origin. However, I see that it's already in the "Untold Tales of Krypton" section.

There is Superman: The Secret Years (1985?), a 4-issue miniseries that covers the time period that the 287 pages of Birthright missed. I highly recommend it, yet do not own it.

I'm sure that others will come to mind. I'm trying to think of a good 50s origin, but can't. However, there was this great miniseries in 1986 called Man of Steel.

Just Kidding.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Anonymous
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 12:32:17 AM »

i'd love to see whatever happen'd without paying thru the nose for it.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 02:36:26 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
Then there is "The Greatest Green Lantern of All" from 1972, which added an Oan dimension to Superman's origin. However, I see that it's already in the "Untold Tales of Krypton" section.

It is, but most of the "origin" stories that I've added to the "origins of superman" section already exist elsewhere on the site.  This is just a common access point for all of them.  It's hard to tell whether or not that story counts as a new "origin" or if it's a separate story that happens around the origin.

There is Superman: The Secret Years (1985?), a 4-issue miniseries that covers the time period that the 287 pages of Birthright missed. I highly recommend it, yet do not own it.

You say you don't own it - have you read it?  To be honest, I think the Frank Miller covers are the best part.

But I do like it, and think it's a prime candidate for Graphic Novel compilation.  It's been on my list to add to STTA for quite some time, but I'd also want to include all the back-up stories that lead into it. (attn DC:  if you do a graphic novel, you should hunt down those lead-in back-up features too)

I'm sure that others will come to mind. I'm trying to think of a good 50s origin, but can't. However, there was this great miniseries in 1986 called Man of Steel.

Just Kidding.

We've got that covered - you must have missed the "1993" origin.

S!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L