superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:09:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The ORIGINS of SUPERMAN  (Read 30095 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 03:02:13 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"

We've got that covered - you must have missed the "1993" origin.

S!

Well, that was from the Comic based on the cartoon which was the old origin dressed up to look like redbeard's version to please DC Wink

i'd love to see whatever happen'd without paying thru the nose for it.

You can just buy the reprints, they don't cost that much.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 03:20:46 AM »

I sometimes think that "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" is effective not because of its story per se or its "ending" of the pre Crisis, but more that everyone showed up to the party and gave it their all...
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 04:15:31 AM »

You say you don't own it - have you read it?  To be honest, I think the Frank Miller covers are the best part.

But I do like it, and think it's a prime candidate for Graphic Novel compilation.  It's been on my list to add to STTA for quite some time, but I'd also want to include all the back-up stories that lead into it. (attn DC:  if you do a graphic novel, you should hunt down those lead-in back-up features too)

I've read it, but don't currently own it. I love the story though...I grew up reading Superboy comics. I even added Billy Kramer to Supermanica, though I haven't gotten to the other roommates, like Ducky, yet.

I see your point about "The Greatest Green Lantern of All." Upon rereading it, it seems to just be the same origin viewed through a different lens, much like "How Jimmy Olsen First Met Superman" or "Superman's Return to Krypton." "How the Green Lanterns First Gawked at Superman" would be an alternate title.

It's kind of bugging me that I can't think of a 50s origin, because there must be one. Of course, there was the "Sarah and Eben Kent" origin on the TV show, but I doubt that was replicated in canon.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 11:05:13 AM »

"Superboy’s Darkest Secret!", from Superboy No. 158 (July 1969), by the team of Frank Robbins, Bob Brown and Wally Wood, would probably have to be the most controversial retelling of Superboy/man's origin of all, and is probably regarded by most learned fans as non-canonical.

Still, the Robbins/Brown era is probably my favorite with regards to Superboy, particularly when Wood and Murphy Anderson added their lush inks to Brown's pencils. I also like Robbins' noirish take on Superboy.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 02:42:51 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Quote from: "Great Rao"
We've got that covered - you must have missed the "1993" origin.

Well, that was from the Comic based on the cartoon which was the old origin dressed up to look like redbeard's version to please DC Wink

Not quite - this origin is from 1993 - the animated series didn't start until 1996, and the spin-off comic book, Superman Adventures, didn't start until 1997.  In that Universe, the origin had been told in the pilot episode, and it looked nothing like this story.

At the time, the most controversial elements here were that Jor-El and Lara liked each other and had good physiques; Superman had powers as a tot; and that he had short hair (instead of a mullet) as an adult!

Quote from: "Lee Semmens"
"Superboy’s Darkest Secret!", from Superboy No. 158 (July 1969), by the team of Frank Robbins, Bob Brown and Wally Wood, would probably have to be the most controversial retelling of Superboy/man's origin of all, and is probably regarded by most learned fans as non-canonical.

With a statement like that, you've got me curious what happened in it that's so controversial!

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 02:58:47 PM »

Just off the top of my head that would be the issue where Superboy finds Joe-El and Lara having survived the K-ctaclysm and floating in suspended animation.  If he revives them - they die, so he decides to leave them floating in hibernation.  

Never addressed elesewhere again - ever. Kinda like the story "LOst- One Hundred Years" where on the trip to Earth baby Kals rocket went into another dimension and lived a full life time and then was returned to baby state and resumed his journey to earth (in the blink of an eye in our time)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 03:01:41 PM »

Yup thats the one

http://www.comics.org/details.lasso?id=22829
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 03:21:35 PM »

the same team did this tale: http://superman.nu/tales2/strangedeath/?page=1

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L