superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:00:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think of STAN LEE'S SUPERMAN?  (Read 11359 times)
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 06:43:03 AM »

Personally?  I was kind of hoping to see what kind of story Stan Lee would have written if he was writing Julius Schwartz's Superman.  

How would Stan have treated the Superman, Clark Kent,  Lois Lane, Jimmy Olson, Perry White, Lex Luthor, Terra-Man, Brainiac, Steve Lombard, and others that we all know and love?  

What would Stan have done differently from what Len Wein, Cary Bates, et al, did?  What kind of crises would Superman have faced?  

THAT'S what I was hoping to see.  

As it was, I was disappointed not to have seen any of that.  

Stan wrote an entertaining story, but it just wasn't Superman to me.  

Does any of the above make sense to you?  Wink  

Gernot...

RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 07:08:58 AM »

Stan's Superman also had Super Agility and Super Balance, as demonstrated by his time in the circus. IIRC he also had Super Hearing, as he heard someone approaching his hotel. His flight power was granted by an anti gravity harness. It seems Stan couldn't decide on whether the harness was broken permanently or not.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 03:08:54 PM »

re Julius Schwartz superman and co. in Stan lee version.

That's a brilliant idea!!
That would be an awesome future project!

Remember : wherever you go , there you are.
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 03:14:56 PM »

good point concerning the other powers, balance , agility hearing etc.

but re the broken harness. I think that was just a writers mistake, which anybody could make. Interestingly perhaps Stan was suggesting he needed the harness to fly on his planet and on earth at first, but later his powers grew from Super-leaping to flying over a period of time as did the original earth 2 superman. in that Superman's debut he could jump over buildings. Later he could fly and change direction , even in space with out anything to jump off of.
or maybe he just got the harness fixed offscreen

Anonymous
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 05:52:47 PM »

re: superman as hawkman..
something tells me that superman as interepreted by stan lee was handcuffed by the fact that stan the man couldnt make radical changes to origins and characters and possibly would have been better if he had been given carte blanche over the concepts and allowed to do wheatever he wanted.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 06:17:32 PM »

Quote from: "Gernot"
Personally? I was kind of hoping to see what kind of story Stan Lee would have written if he was writing Julius Schwartz's Superman.  

We already know the answer to that: Elliot Maggin's Super-Stories.  Cheesy

Maggin has an astonishing number of similarities in his writing style to Stan Lee, especially his streetwise, "New York" dialogue; in his work, and in Gerry Conway's JLA, Superman wasn't below cracking wise. Maggin's greatest strength was in the incorporation of Superman into the DC Universe, humorous dialogue, and a tremendous ability to show and give personalities to characters...all of which describe Stan Lee too, nearly exactly. There were humorous slanted political stories in Maggin's Superman, and a lot of suckerpunch-to-the-gut emotions and skill at characterization, particularly with Luthor, whose motivation and misanthropy was never as clear under anybody else as it was under Maggin.

Stan Lee = Elliot S! Maggin. Twins, separated at birth?

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 12:08:21 AM »

Interesting point Julian...

Boy, I know that I do respect Maggin and his reverence for Superman (and his many fans here), but you've outlined most of what I didn't like that he did... Cheesy
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 12:15:01 AM »

Elliot S! Maggin stories are incredibly great! They used to blow my mind!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L