superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:02:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kurt Busiek to write Aquaman  (Read 16017 times)
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 09:13:36 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
How is underwater swordfighting going to be handled? Hopefully, it ought to be very different from land swordfighting. I think the guy that wrote that AQUAMAN issue of LEGENDS OF THE DC UNIVERSE or whatever where Aquaman fights the Joker put it best: "use water wrong and it stops you...use it right, and you fly!"

Yep.  I'm not worried about the water-resistance -- after all, it's just as hard to throw a haymaker underwater as to swing a sword, but Aquaman's been doing that for years, too.  The undersea races are strong enough to overcome it.

But swordfighting in a medium where you don't have to stay on the ground is cool.  Of course, if you aren't braced against anything, it diminishes the power behind blows, and "high ground" is a strength for cannon, not blades (in swordfighting, being on lower ground means you can go after the other guy's legs, while he has to reach farther even to get to your armored bits), but it's still got possibilities.

kdb
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2005, 12:36:23 AM »

I love Aquaman.  I know he's the butt of all the jokes when Plastic man's not around & sometimes when he is, but he shouldn't be.
they say "Aquaman has the worst powers of the DC universe. "
I say: " He's the King. Long live the King, of Atlantis and the Seven Seas and he like Superman in water, a true champion."

comedy aside, if done seriously , Aquaman is both Noble and savage at the same time, a dichotomy akin to Samurai nobility who chopped off heads and wrote haiku poems all in the same day. Like King Arthur, Arthur Curry has a regal, braveheart, fearless, knightly air to him.
He's a ladies' man too, suave and good looking with oodles of charm and charisma.  A knight without shining armor.  A James Bond like classy fellow with a heart to protect his people and their homes.
He's also the enviro-friendly, green hero that stands for saving our spaceship earth from crashing from a trashing. He's anti-pollution and into the preservation of the environment.

Real world physics have nothing to do with comic book physics.
Resistance of water doesn't stop the dolphin for going almost 15 miles and hour.

I'd love to see a tv series of Aquaman but I am pretty sure if the same crew as does Smallville does it , it will be Arthur Curry without a costume and as a teenager.

I am looking forward to the Kurt Busiek version of Aquaman. I have been a fan for years of Aquaman and even enjoy reading his 1940's and 50's stories.
RE the JLA . Put Green Arrow or Robin or Hawkman against Aquaman in a battle near the ocean and Aquaman would smack them down.

Remember : wherever you go , there you are.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2005, 04:15:47 PM »

Wow...  it's been several pages and no one has asked Kurt the question that is on everyone's mind here:  Is this new Aquaman gonna be more powerful than Superman?  Smiley  I'm sure if you model him after the Aquaman at:

http://www.seanbaby.com/superfriends/aquaman.htm

you'll do just fine.  <laughs>  But seriously... good luck with Aquaman, Kurt.

One question:  Will there be a particular reason for this new guy to be called Aquaman (as opposed to Glub Glub the Waterwonderwanderer, or whatever other name he might come up with on his own)?  Does having the Aquaman moniker have more to do with DC marketing, or will there be a good reason he'd want to take on that name versus a name of his own?
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 05:10:10 PM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
Will there be a particular reason for this new guy to be called Aquaman (as opposed to Glub Glub the Waterwonderwanderer, or whatever other name he might come up with on his own)?

Yep.

kdb
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005, 07:52:15 PM »

See, with lookings:

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/cm_popup.php?i=4956

kdb
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2005, 09:18:44 PM »

If this bloke is now Aquaman then what will Aquaman will be called?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2005, 09:23:26 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
If this bloke is now Aquaman then what will Aquaman will be called?

Time will tell.

kdb
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2005, 09:29:30 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Interestingly enough, it's not suprising Busiek was chomping at the bit to write Sword and Sorcery type stuff; we can see signs of that all the way back in his AVENGERS run: look at the prevalence in the first issue of Thor and Asgard villains, the appearance of magic and wizards in the next one.

Or the Conan comic he was been writing for a while that he talked about here and was mention a few times in that link I posted to start the thread.

:oops:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L