superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:22:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Showcase Superman the discussion Thread  (Read 6905 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 04:55:43 PM »

I like Kirby in black and white too.  And not just because I have a Fantastic Four page by him.  Kirby's pencils were tight and consequently his use of blacks and other inking effects (all those patented Kirby elements like his depictions of raw, sizzling power, radiation, lines of force, etc) are very effective without color.  Ditto the Simon and Kirby stuff --very moody art with lots of shadow and thick lines.  Plus Kirby's Sky Masters newspaper strip was done for B&W and looks great!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 05:04:34 PM »

And Sky Masters was inked by Wally Wood - no less! You really can spot in the machinery - oh so EC! :twisted:
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 01:40:15 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
I have to say, though, the GL book has been a revelation to me.  Not only is the art beautiful, but the stories are fantastic.  Sure there are some clunkers, but overall I'm just in awe that one guy -- John Broome -- could turn out so many great, imaginative concepts and build such a complex, fascinating mythology of the Corps, the Guardians, Sinestro, etc.  Compared to the Silver Age Superman mythos, which evolved in fits and starts with all kinds of wrong turns and detours, Green Lantern's universe comes together in a neat, tidy and logical fashion, each new layer building on the last and never -- so far -- contradicting itself.  This is "continuity" done right.

I agree completely, Nightwing. I was surprised by how ahead of their time the GL stories were. And like you said, they all fit together perfectly. The Green Lantern mythos has such a rich history and there's just so much one can do with the concept.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L